The watermark is always a headache when you record the screen to:
- Make a demonstration video for your software.
- Capture gameplay highlights either for sharing or archiving.
- Present technical issues to a support team.
- Create instructional videos when teaching students in distance.
- Share informative hacks on YouTube and Facebook.
- Save live streaming videos for watching later.
To dig out a free screen recorder without watermark, you may have tried tons of programs recommended in most articles. But most of them either charge you money to remove watermarks or have video length limits. Since knowing that free screen recorders (no watermark) are in great demand, we've made a well-rounded test on these best screen recorders on the market, and finally found the 10 best screen recording tools (100% free and no watermark).
1. What is the best screen recorder without watermark for Windows 10, 8, 7?
VideoProc, XBox Game Bar (Windows 10 only), CamStudio, ShareX, ScreenRec.
2. What is the best free screen recorder with no water mark on Mac?
QuickTime Player, OBS (macOS 10.13 +), VideoProc, Panopto Screen Recorder.
3. What is the best screen recorder no watermark no time limit no lag?
VideoProc, OBS, ShareX, Apowersoft Online Screen Recorder.
4. What is the best screen recorder with a zoom-in feature?
Camtasia (paid), VideoProc, Bandicam, CamStudio, Xsplit Broadcaster (paid).
As one of the watermark-free screen recorders, VideoProc is chosen by millions of video marketers, YouTubers, gaming bloggers, teachers, developers, and more. It features multiple screen recording modes to assist users to record webinars, video games, streaming videos, and make screencasts in any form they prefer - full screen, fixed region, or picture in picture.
By its level-3 hardware acceleration tech, VideoProc outperforms most screen recorders and runs smoothly on all recent Windows and macOS (Big Sur included) computers. What's more, users are enabled to polish the recorded video in its editing toolkit - cutting, merging, filtering, compressing, converting, etc.
- No watermark, no recording time limits, and no advanced skills required.
- HD 1080P output for better sharing and archiving.
- Produce videos in any format you like: MP4, FLV, MOV, MKV, and TS.
- Record screen with sound from both systems and external devices.
- Flexible recording modes: screen, webcam, screen & web, green-screen.
- Annotation tools for engaging instructional videos: arrows,texts, and cursor highlight.
- GPU acceleration tech to make smooth recording and timely export on Mac and Windows.
- No advanced frames settings.
How to record screen without a watermark in VideoProc
Step 1. Free download and intall VideoProc.
Step 2. Lanuch this software, then choose Recorder in its main UI.
Step 3. Tweak screen recording settings: recording mode, recording area, output format, recording quality, and output folder.
Step 4. Hit the red button to start and end the recording. Next, preview the video and save it to your computer.
Bonus Tips: Record iPhone Screen on Mac without Watermark nor Red Bar
To record iPhone screen without annoying red bar when using the iOS built-in screen recorder, you can connect your iPhone to a Mac, then launch VideoProc for Mac and follow the steps above. Finally, you'll get a video without watermark nor red bar, and share it via email or social media accounts on your Mac in no time.
Find VideoProc on social media and participate in its giveaways, and you'll have a chance to get its license to free use all features in its latest version without any limit.
Operating system: Windows 10/8/8.1/7
CamStudio is a piece of 100% free software ideal for recording Windows screen without watermark and time limits. It is not a grand screen recording program taking much space nor validating its existence with a big UI. When it is activated, you'll just see a small window that can be hidden in the taskbar while recording. Even though born without editing tools, CamStudio goes for fences on various recording functions: autopan, annotations, picture in picture effect, personalized watermarks, timestamps, and more small but indispensable settings.
- Lightweight and intuitive.
- HD results with lossless codecs - Microsoft Video 1, Intel IYUV codec, and Cinepak Codec by Radius.
- Versatile recording tools and annotation effects: cursor highlight, timestamps, captions, etc.
- Not compatible with macOS.
- No professional support team to solve users' problems since it's an open-source tool.
- It only exports recorded videos in AVI and MP4 format and provides conversion to SWF.
- Choppy and lagging when you push video quality to the maximum.
How to get it: https://camstudio.org/
Operating system: Windows 10/8/8.1, macOS 10.13+, Linux
OBS, short for Open Broadcasting Software, is a free open source program widely applied to hosting lives on YouTube and Twitch. When disconnected to streaming platforms and used offline, it functions as a game screen recorder as well. It is super powerful to hold numerous scenes (recording screens) and audio tracks, meanwhile feature smooth scene transitions and audio mixing. Obviously, OBS is a pro-level screen recorder that requires skilled users to deal with settings for video/audio bitrate, encoders, replay buffer, etc. So we recommend it to advanced users instead of beginners.
- Flexible and customizable recording settings.
- Watermark-free and ad-free since it's open source.
- HD 1080P @60fps outputs for recording videos.
- Various recording formats for different goals: MP4, MKV, FLV, MOV, TS, and M3U8.
- Too many advanced settings for novices to learn.
- No support team to solve your technical issues except a user forum.
- Slow and freezing on low-end PCs, esp. when recording at a high frame rate.
- No editing options for captured videos.
How to get it: https://obsproject.com/
Operating system: Windows 10/8.1/8/7
The last one of open-source screen recorders on our list is ShareX. Over a decade of diligent work, developers pack the screen recorder, screenshot capturing, file sharing, and productivity tools into one lightweight program and insist on charging users nothing. Today, we mainly talk about its screen recorder. ShareX empowers you to record either the full screen or partial area with audio, and save it as a common video file. But ShareX distinguishes itself by offering a GIF export format, which makes short clips more convenient. Moreover, ShareX lets you customize hotkeys and sets countdown to get you well-prepared so that you can work at your own pace.
- Upload recorded videos to YouTube, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more, instantly.
- Capture desktop screen as videos, GIFs, and images without watermark.
- Optional audio and video codecs for better output: H.264, BP8, Xvid, AAC, MP3, etc.
- Performs well on all recent Windows PCs.
- Highlight any area during the recording.
- Windows only.
- No recording icon so you have to configure shortcuts before recording.
- Cannot activate the screen recorder without installing FFmpeg.
How to get it: https://getsharex.com/
5. QuickTime Player (v10.x)
Operating system: Mac OS X Snow Leopard and later
Many folks stick to native tools to protect their computers from malicious third-part software though not all third-party tools are dangerous. Built-in screen recorders are certainly safe, free, and without any watermark. QuickTime X, shipped with macOS X 10.6 in 2009, was built with a screen recording utility to capture both HD video and audio from Mac. As a simple and handy tool, QuickTime Player presents no complicated parameters to users. However, this causes limitations in output format and editing features.
- Easy and novice-friendly.
- Auto minimize itself when you record the screen.
- Capture high-quality screencasts and videos.
- Share the saved video to YouTube, Message, and Mail via a click.
- When record the full screen, facecam will disappear.
- No annotation tools for further illustrations and highlights.
How to get it: https://support.apple.com/downloads/quicktime
6. Xbox Game Bar
Operating system: Windows 10 version 17763.0 or higher
Just as the name suggests, Xbox Game Bar was originally created as comprehensive widgets for capturing and sharing screens, live streaming, and chattering with game friends across Xbox consoles without exiting your game. Later, more and more users find it compatible with Windows 10 latest versions and call it the built-in screen recorder on Windows 10 because it can capture screens of other programs like Microsoft Office, common browsers, and so forth. Like other decent screen recorders, Xbox Game Bar allows users to adjust video quality, frame rate, shortcuts, etc.
- Watermark-free and pre-installed.
- Easy to activate it by pressing Win + G keys.
- Quick switches among audio sources while recording.
- Considerate overview of CPU, GPU, and RAM usages.
- Unable to record the full screen.
- Stop recording automatically when you quit applications and return to the desktop.
- No annotation tools like captions, shapes, and arrows.
Operating system: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7
ScreenRec was designed to help people communicate with ease in marketing, e-learning, onboarding, project managing, etc. Besides recording screens without watermarks, it has integrated video sharing and analyzing features while protecting users' information. That's why we recommend it to people who are marketers and online tutors. One notable thing is its active developing team that updates this tool consistently. Lately, the webcam and webcam + screen recording modes have been added. If you want to use it for free, you need to register an account first, but it may send you loads of subscription emails then.
- Record HD videos without time limits and watermarks.
- Record screen along with microphone audio and system audio.
- No pressure on system and storage.
- Customizable recoding shortcuts.
- MP4 is the only available video format.
- Media Sharing currently disabled.
- Not supported on macOS yet.
How to get it: https://screenrec.com/
Operating system: Chrome browser on Windows, Mac, Chromebook
Screen-O-Matic is one of the most successful screencast software in the market widely integrated with educational tools, Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, Moodle LTI, and some business tools as well. After sign up/in to it online, you can make both screenshots (images) and screencasts (videos) of your PC. It has nothing special in screen capturing, basic recording modes, audio recording , and even has a time limit. What makes it worth mentioning is the paid edition with advanced editing features. So we do not recommend its free plan.
- Free and no watermark.
- Drawing tools help you illustrate videos better.
- After recording, you can trim unwanted beginning and ending part.
- Detect mic and webcam automatically before recording.
- Five minutes limit per recording video.
- Cannot record desktop screen and webcam simultaneously.
- Only accesible when the internet is connected.
How to get it: https://www.screencastify.com/products/screen-recorder
9. Apowersoft Screen Recorder
Operating system: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android
Although the desktop version of Apowersoft screen recorder has limits on recording time, and adds watermarks to the final product. Its online screen recorder is a real free tool that won't watermark on any recordings. Users are allowed to customize the recording area freely. If you plan to record gameplay or make screencasts, it can capture the screen along with webcam and audio simultaneously. During the process of recording, you can illustrate what's going on on your screen by drawing lines, typing texts, etc. As for output formats, it has multiple options – MP4, FLV, WMV, GIF, etc.
- No watermark and no time limit.
- Multiple recording modes: full screen, webcam, and customizable area.
- Also available on iPhone and Android phones.
- You can save and share your recorded videos via its cloud base.
- You cannot use it directly. It asks you to install a launcher first.
- A red recording bar will pop up when you starting recording the screen.
- Cannot record screen without the internet connection.
How to get it: https://www.apowersoft.com/free-online-screen-recorder
10. Panopto Screen Recorder
Operating system: Mac, Windows
Panopto is a free online screen recorder. You can use it on browsers like Chrome, Firefox, and Edge on any computer. Different from other desktop screen recorders, it only has 3 recording modes: entire screen, certain application window, and browser tab. What makes this easy tool a must-have is the video quality. By simply ticking the option of Capture in HD, you can record the video in HD and even at 60fps (which requires hardware support). It has 15 min limits per recordings, but it is enough for most quick demonstrations.
- HD recording with no watermark.
- It can record a certain screen without disturbing other programs.
- Record screen along with system audio and mic audio.
- You can edit the video right after recording.
- Can't customize the recording area freely.
- You cannot use it without registering an account.
- Recorded videos need to download for local saving, editing, or converting.
How to get it: https://www.panopto.com/record/
Now we have narrowed down mainstream screen recorders into 10 tools. You should consider carefully when selecting the best one for you since each of them has both pros and cons. Is it compatible with your computer? Does it record HD videos? Does it have time limit? Will it lag or quit unexpectedly?
Honestly speaking, VideoProc is the one that performs best in our screen recording test. It records the screen of all recent computers without lagging and time limit. And surprisingly, we found it has more solutions to 4K video processing – editing, converting, and downloading.