[Reviews] the Top Online, Free and Open Source MKV to MP4 Converters
MKV and MP4 both are video container formats for storing audio and video data. Whereas DVD and Blu-ray rips are often found in MKV, since this format gives more freedom to contain as many audio/video/subtitle tracks as needed. However, to watch those rips on iPad/iPhone or other portables devices, the format suffers from narrowed compatibility in comparison with MP4. And this is when we find it necessary to do a MKV to MP4 conversion.
Part 1: Get to Know about MKV and MP4
MP4 is quite common nowadays and is found almost on every multimedia device because of its high portability. But MKV is not so common as it is designed to contain unlimited number of audio, video and subtitle files. That's why MKV files are pretty large in size and there is also no size limit for these files.
MKV movie files are also known to deliver very high visual quality which is better than the standard MP4 (H264). Because of the large file size, MKV videos are sometimes not playable on many devices, that's why you should consider converting them to MP4. There are a number of ways to convert MKV to MP4 free, and here in this post we will talk about 3 top video converters and services which will help you achieve this goal.
MP4, this compressed file format can house video as well as audio and subtitles. Videos downloaded over the internet usually carry this format.
While MKV is mostly used by HD online videos courtesy its support rendered towards even chapter points, cover art, ratings and descriptions.
Why Do You Need To Convert Videos from MKV to MP4?
Although MKV format is gaining rapid popularity off late, you might be required to convert your MKV videos to mP4 format because of the following reasons:
● MKV format might be incompatible with different players or devices due to audio codec and similar issues. In such cases, you might be required to convert the MKV file to MP4 format.
● MKV videos are comparatively heavier in size making it difficult to transfer, share and stream over internet. It thus becomes necessary to convert these files to MP4 format for being shared over social media and similar video sharing websites.
● MKV files might take up a lot of your PC space which becomes very problematic while struggling with storage issues. Converting videos to MP4 format can be of great help in such cases.
Part 2: Best Free Online Video Converters to Convert MKV to MP4
This high-quality tool can help you both download and convert videos to your preferred format from different video-sharing portals like MetaCafe and YouTube. You can take your pick amongst common video and audio formats such as MKV, VOB, 4K MP4, AVI, HEVC, MOV, MP3, M4V, WMV, FLV, 3GP, MPEG and many more.
- • Provides the flexibility of converting a file found by its URL.
- • The converted file is displayed in the form of a message carrying a link for downloading the file.
- • Converted file is stored for one hour.
- • Has a maximum limit of 250 MB in terms of file upload.
This all-inclusive tool to convert MKV to MP4 online can help you process videos, documents, PDFs, images, audio files, ebooks, webpages and even archives. The best thing about this online portal is that it can cater to both the video file and the video link and renders support to numerous output video formats such as RM, MP4, SWF, VOB etc.
- • Offers the option of altering video bitrate, video size, video aspect and frame rate.
- • Supports batch processing of files.
- • Confidentiality of all files are maintained.
- • Has a maximum limit of 200 MB in terms of file upload.
This online tool can provide you with a comprehensive solution to all your video, audio, image, document and eBook conversion needs. You can take your pick amongst different formats such as 3GP, 3G2m MP4, AVI etc. to convert your selected video URL or video file.
- • Offers preprogrammed device profile for converting video to iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, PS3 and similar devices.
- • You can alter the video bitrate, screen size and even select the audio codec.
- • Video can be rotated and flipped.
- • You will require their paid version for converting videos exceeding 100MB.
- • You can avail this online convertor for processing video links secured from Dailymotion, YouTube and Vimeo. Video files can be converted to numerous formats such as MP3, MKV, MP4, AAC, AVI without having to install a completely different program in your computer.
You can avail this online convertor for processing video links secured from Dailymotion, YouTube and Vimeo. Video files can be converted to numerous formats such as MP3, MKV, MP4, AAC, AVI without having to install a completely different program in your computer.
• Has an extremely easy to use interface which can cater to users of all skill levels.
• The video quality as well as the start and end time can be specified in advance.
• It is compatible with mobile devices and thus allows conversion of video in Apple, Android and Windows smartphones.
• Has maximum file size limit of 3072 MB.
5. Apowersoft Free Online Video Converter
This full-featured online video converter can serve as the ideal choice for users who wish to convert videos without having to create an account or registering themselves.
• Allows adding effects, rotating videos, adjusting volume and many more without having to trim the video.
• Supports all popular video and audio formats such as AVI, MP4, AC3, MOV, MP3 and many more.
• Bitrate, resolution and frame rate can be set in advance.
• First time users have to download the launcher.
Still wonder which one to use? You may first need a guide on How to Choose among All Top HD Video Converters Lists >
Part 3: Top 3 Free/Open Source MKV to MP4 Converters
While the converter software can clutter your system, it usually does not have any restriction on file size. In most cases, they even support batch processing of video files. Another unique aspect of the converter software is that they can function even without internet connectivity which serves as a life saver in low network coverage areas. Without wasting much time on finding best MKV to MP4 converters you should follow this article till the end. Because this article has enough info about the best, free, and reliable MKV to MP4 video converters.
1. VLC (VideoLan)
VLC, the world knows it as a free audio and video player. It is currently the most trusted software for playing audio and video files on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. It is also free and open source and supports all kinds of audio and video codecs. It also supports external media libraries which can also play Blu-ray media.
It is highly successful as a media player, but only a handful of its audience know that it can also convert videos. Yes! This isn't a lie, VLC player can also also be used to convert MKV to MP4 free. It's built-in video converter is of intermediate level which can convert almost any video format. Please check 'Media>Convert/Save' in VLC to know about its built-in video converter.
• Good for basic video conversion including DVDs.
• Can't replace a fully-functional video converter.
• Not suitable for processing large files.
• No serious customizing options.
2. Any Video Converter (Avclabs)
Any Video Converter by Avclabs is another popular and reliable video converter. It is more popular than VLC and its completely free without any serious limits on video conversion. It is a powerful video converter with lots of audio and video profiles.
It also supports device-specific conversion profiles. You just have to select a profile and convert your favourite MKV to one of your device-specific MP4 format. Apart from that it can let you add external audio and subtitles to your MKV files. You can also edit videos with it and basic video editing functions are available like cut, crop, rotate, adjusting video properties, and resolution.
• Fully functional free video converter.
• No limits on video conversion.
• All known formats supported.
• Basic video editing features available.
• UI is a bit confusing.
Handbrake is an open source video transcoder which is also trusted by a lot of people. It comes with a very nice user interface which is easy to learn. It can process almost every video format used by us. With handbrake you can also apply video filters. You can use its built-in device presets to convert your MKV files to MP4 for your favorite devices also.
• Very clean and clear user interface.
• Settings can be customized via different tabs which can be accessed from a single window.
• It only supports two video formats (output) which are MP4 and MKV.
Part 4: Limitations Of Above Video Converters to Convert MKV to MP4
While trying to convert videos, you can opt for either the above listed online tools or install a converter software in your system. Bear in mind that both the choices have their own limitations and strengths.
Limitations of the free converter software:
While the converter software can clutter your system, it usually does not have any restriction on file size. In most cases, they even support batch processing of video files. Another unique aspect of the converter software is that they can function even without internet connectivity which serves as a life saver in low network coverage areas.
• Not supporting all video formats.
• Time based limits on conversion.
• No hardware acceleration - video conversion process will take longer.
• No support for 1:1 video conversion.
• Missing essential video editing capabilities which are now highly required by users worldwide.
• Missing various high quality video codecs which play a vital role in visual quality.
Limitations of the online converters:
But if you are on the lookout for a quick and one-time tool which can help you get your work done in a no-frills-attached manner, then you might want to consider using an online converter to convert MKV to MP4. One of the biggest problems regarding online convertors is that they cannot function without an internet connection and in most cases, have limited features. Although they can serve the basic functionalities, they have upper limit on the file size.
- • Network based – not stable, slow
- • Not supporting all video formats
- • File quantity limitations on conversion
- • No hardware acceleration
- • No support for 1:1 video conversion
- • Missing essential video editing capabilities
- • Missing various high quality video codecs
If any of the limitations given above is of your concern then you should move to a versatile video converter. VideoProc is such a tool on which you can rely with trust for all your video conversion needs.
Part 5: The Best, Reliable, and Powerful Video Converter
VideoProc is actually an all-in-one audio and video processing software which utilizes hardware acceleration technologies to process media files at a lightening fast rate. It converts MKV to MP4 in just three easy steps with 6 other killer features you might also find helpful.
• Almost all types of known video formats are supported.
• Have a very clean UI, so you don't have any problems in finding where's what?
• Provides a quality set of video customization settings where you can easily configure resolution, bit-rate, video quality.
• 4K resolution and 1:1 video conversion are fully supported.
• Built-in video editor provide tools like cut, crop, rotate, subtitles etc. The cut tool is pretty advanced here as it lets you apply multiple cuts in a video simultaneously. This feature is not a part of free video converters.
• VideoProc also fully supports hardware acceleration technologies like Intel Quick Sync, Nvidia CUDA, and AMD Acceleration. If your computer supports any of these technologies then video conversion will be even faster.
Free Download VideoProc to Have a Try
Apart from that, VideoProc can also process DVDs (copy and rip), can be used as a video downloader, and as a screen recorder too. There's no doubt that VideoProc is a better option than any other free video converter, so we just recommend you using it yourself to find out its robustness, versatility, and powerful performance while converting videos of any format. Check the download links below.