An MPEG video is a video file with a .mpeg or .mpg extension. It uses MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or MPEG-4 compression which are less supported these days. When you can't open .mpeg files, the primary solution is to convert MPEG to MP4, a universal format. Another reason to convert MPEG is that MPEG files occupy too much storage due to less efficient compression. Converting them to MP4 H.264 or MP4 HEVC could free up much space on your device.
Today we'll walk you through how to convert MPEG to MP4 with the best video converter software on computer, online, and smartphones. Let's scroll down the page and find the best free MPEG to MP4 converter for you.
1. Convert MPEG to MP4 on Windows 10 and Mac
The simplest method to turn MPEG files to MP4 is provided by VideoProc Converter. It has one-click solutions to convert MPEG to MP4 for iPhone, iPad, Android, Xbox, PS4/5, YouTube, Facebook, and beyond. As the ultimate video file converter, it supports 420+ video formats ranging from old to the latest popular ones. In addition to MPEG, it allows converting MPEG4 to MP4, MPEG2 to MP4, MPG to MP4, and so forth.
Backed by its unique hardware acceleration, VideoProc Converter converts large and long MPEG videos effortlessly on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, and Mac. On top of that, it provides all-rounded solutions to fix, edit, and compress MPEG videos.
VideoProc Converter - Best MPEG to MP4 Converter Free Download
- Easy, free, fast, and the best video quality retained.
- Smooth batch conversion from MPEG to MP4 on any computer.
- Superb compatibility with 4K, 1080p, HEVC, and all videos from MPEG family.
- Well-rounded presets and custom settings for users of all levels.
- Additional: cut, merge, crop, rotate, fix choppy videos, improve video quality, etc.
Steps to Convert MPEG to MP4 with VideoProc Converter
Step 1. Free download and install VideoProc Converter on Windows or Mac.
Step 2. Open this MPEG to MP4 converter and drag .mpeg videos to it to import.
Step 3. Click Video at the bottom and choose MP4 H.264 or MP4 HEVC as the output format.
Tips:. Double-click on the MP4 icon and you can customize video quality, frame rate, bitrate, resolution, audio sample rate, etc. Notably, you can convert MPEG to MP4 without losing quality by 2-pass encoding.
Step 4. Activate hardware acceleration, choose the output location, and click RUN to free convert MPEG to MP4 on your computer.
Note: VideoProc Converter can free convert 5-min MPEG videos without watermarks or limits on file size or quality.
2. Convert MPEG to MP4 Online for Free
If you got small MPEG video clips that can't be opened successfully, online MPEG to MP4 converters could help you out for free. Most of them are simple to use and work excellently as long as your computer gets fast internet connections. Below are the best tools to convert MPEG to MP4 online for free.
Convertio is an online MPEG to MP4 converter. It gains popularity among global users for its fast and ads-free conversion features. And all conversions are performed in the cloud and won't take up any capacity on your computer.
- Free, no watermark, no account required.
- Fast and simple to use for all people.
- No custom settings for converting.
- Only videos smaller than 100MB are supported.
- Limited conversions per day.
- Can't batch convert three or more MPEG files at a time.
How to Convert MPEG to MP4 Online with Convertio
- Go to convertio.co and upload an MPEG video from your device to it.
- Choose MP4 as the target format.
- Start conversion then download the MP4 from the web browser.
Online-Convert supports video, audio, image, document, and ebook conversion. In its MP4 converter, you can convert from more than 50 formats, such as MPEG2 to MP4, AVI to MP4, FLV to MP4, etc.
- Free and easy to convert MPEG to MP4 for all users.
- Allow changing video resolution, bitrate, aspect ratio, and file size.
- Run faster than other online converters.
- The maximum file size is 100MB.
- Only 3 free MPEG to MP4 conversions per day.
- Ads are displayed on its UI.
How to Convert MPEG to MP4 for Free with Online-Converter
- Visit online-convert.com on your web browser. Open its video converter and choose to convert to MP4.
- Load your MPEG file to its server. Finish optional settings or keep them default.
- Hit the start button and wait for it to convert MPEG to MP4 for free. Finally, download the converted MP4 video on your computer.
Zamzar is a safe and clean online file converter. It made MPEG to MP4 conversion easier for beginners with simple drag-n-drop. All you need to do is to set the desired format. But it may be too simple for some users who want full control over video settings.
- Ads-free and easy-to-use.
- Video presets for TV, iPhone, Samsung, Xbox, DVD.
- Can't convert MPEG larger than 50MB.
- No custom settings for MPEG and MP4.
- More time-consuming than other MPEG to MP4 converters.
How to Convert MPEG to MP4 Online with Zamzar
- Open its official website zamzar.com. Choose MPEG files from your device.
- Wait for it to process and then choose MP4 as the target format.
- Click Converter Now and save the MP4 when it completes the conversion.
3. Convert MPEG to MP4 on iPhone and Android
Mobile users can convert MPEG to MP4 with the online tools above as well. If you are looking for decent applications without limits on file size, we found 2 MPEG to MP4 converters for iPhone and Android devices. Check them now.
If you have any trouble with MPEG playback on iPhone, iConv could help you out with ease. iConv for iPhone is an excellent document and video converter. In addition to converting MPEG to MP4, it supports dozens of popular video formats including MKV, MOV, AVI, FLV, WebM, etc.
- Easy streamlined interface.
- Play, convert, and manage video files in one-stop.
- Saturated with ads in its free plan.
- Limits on file size and output quality.
How to Convert MPEG to MP4 with iConv
- Launch iConv and open the MPEG file in this app.
- Choose MP4 as the output format and adjust the output range and video encoder.
- Start to convert .mpeg to .mp4 file on iPhone.
Video Format Factory
Video Format Factory is a free MPEG converter that you can get from Google Play. Compared with others, it features highly customizable output format settings, meanwhile, it provides detailed information about the source video and estimates output files size and compress ratio for your references.
- All major formats supported.
- Versatile to convert, compress, cut, and crop videos.
- Audio doesn't line up with video sometimes.
- Can't access to an SD card directly.
How to Convert MPEG to MP4 with Video Format Factory
- Open this app on your Android phone and load an MPEG video to it.
- Choose the Convert feature and adjust MP4 format, output quality, resolution, FPS, and bitrate.
- Start the conversion and check the final video when it finishes the task.
What's the difference between MPEG and MP4?
MP4 can store video streams, audio streams, subtitles, still images, and other data, while MPEG files can't be packed with much essential data like chapters.
Another difference lies in coding schemes. MP4 employs more modern encoders H.264 and HEVC and is more widely-supported. While MPEG uses MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 and can't be opened by some players.
How to play MPEG file?
You can use powerful media players like 5KPlayer, VLC media player, or Windows Media Player. If failed, try to install MPEG codec packs on your computer or just convert it to MP4 with the guide above.
How do I convert MPEG to MP4 for Free?
In VideoProc Converter, you can convert MPEG files under 5 minutes for free. It won't put watermarks or limits on file size, video quality, and batch conversions.