Summary: In this post, I'm going to show you 17 of the best ways to convert GIF to MP4 by using different free, online, or desktop GIF to MP4 converters.
Want to share GIFs on YouTube, Instagram, or other platforms that don't support the GIF format? Need to import GIFs to DaVinci Resolve, OpenShot, or other video editing software that's not compatible with GIFs? Or do you want to free up the space devoured by your huge collection of GIF files? Converting GIF to MP4, one of the most compatible media formats, can make your life easier.
Best Way to Convert GIF to MP4
If you want to fast convert animated GIF to MP4, and still get something powerful enough to get full control over the output quality, effectively compress the file size, batch process multiple GIF files… VideoProc Converter is a perfect option. This lightweight, compact, and speedy video converter comes with all the features you need to convert single or batches of GIF files without visible quality loss.
Your Top Pick to Convert GIF to MP4 — VideoProc Converter
- Can convert 999+ files from GIF to MP4 format simultaneously
- 0 learning curve, thanks to an attractive and intuitive interface
- Speedy even on a slow computer, powered by the full GPU acceleration
- Adopt high entropy algorithm. Convert GIF to MP4 with high quality
- Support the conversion of MKV, MOV, AVCHD, and 420+ formats
- Also a video to GIF converter, media compressor, video editor, and more
Step 1. Install VideoProc Converter
Download, install and run this excellent GIF to MP4 converter on Windows or Mac.
Step 2. Import GIF Files
Hit Video. Drag the GIF files that you'd like to convert to MP4 into this awesome GIF to MP4 converter.
Step 3. Choose MP4 Output
Hit Video. Select MP4 H.264 or MP4 HEVC as the target output format. Hit Run.
How to Convert GIF to MP4 Online
Online GIF to MP4 converters are easy to use, require no extra installation, and mostly offer free plans. They are good for beginners and occasional users to utilize for converting one or several small GIF files into MP4. We've listed 10 of the best online GIF to MP4 video converters below. However, it's worth noting that all these online GIF to MP4 converters have strict limits on file size, conversion times, or upload quantities. In addition, they might not work under a weak or unstable network connection.
Zamzar, created in 2006, is one of the most long-standing and trustworthy online conversion services. It lets you convert GIF files under 50MBs to MP4, MKV, and a few other popular video formats for free. With the business plan which costs 25USD per month, you can increase the uploading limit by up to 2GBs.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 online with Zamzar:
- Go to the official page of Zamzar GIF to MP4 converter.
- Hit Choose Files and select one or multiple small GIF files for import to this web-based conversion tool.
- Choose MP4 under Convert To and then hit Convert Now.
- Hit Download to save the MP4 video file converted from GIF.
FreeConvert is a multiple-purpose GIF to MP4 converter with a wide range of extra features, such as adding subtitles, trimming the length, and rotating or flipping the video. It lets you convert GIF files of less than 1GB to common video formats including MP4, AVI, and WebM without paying a penny. There are also paid plan for users whose collection of GIF files are larger than 5GBs and who wish to convert them into MP4 in batch.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 online with FreeConvert:
- Go to the official site of FreeConvert GIF to MP4 converter.
- Hit Choose Files and select all the GIF files that you want to turn into MP4 videos.
- Hit Convert to MP4. Zamzar starts to convert animated GIF to MP4 online.
- After the conversion, hit Download MP4 to save the outcome on the local disc.
ezGIF offers a 100% free online solution to create, edit, compress, and convert animated GIF files. Unfortunately, it's too limited when we compare it with other premium GIF to MP4 converters listed in this post. It doesn't support batch conversion and can't cope with GIF files larger than 50MBs. Even worse, it's riddled with pop-up ads.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 online with ezGIF:
- Go to the official site of ezGIF GIF to MP4 converter.
- Hit Choose File and select the target GIF file on your computer.
- Hit Upload. ezGIF starts to load the chosen GIF file.
- Hit Convert to MP4 to start to convert GIF to MP4 video online with ezGIF.
CloudConvert is another decent piece of online GIF to MP4 converter. With it, you can not just convert the animated GIF files to MP4 but also assign the encoding codec, change the resolution, adjust the duration, and add subtitles. It supports up to 25 free conversions per day. As for the maximum uploading size, there is no limit if you are adding the GIF file via links.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 online with CloudConvert:
- Navigate to the GIF to MP4 conversion page of CloudConvert.
- Hit Add Files and choose the original GIF files that you want to change into MP4.
- Click on Convert to start the conversion from GIF to MP4 online with CloudConvert.
- On the pop-up page, hit Download to save the output MP4 video file on the computer.
Adobe Creative Cloud Express
Formerly known as Adobe Sparks, Adobe Creative Cloud Express is a template-based graphic design application for web and smartphones. It offers loads of useful yet free features, such as converting video from or to GIF, reversing/cropping/trimming video, and slowing down speed. Any cons? It doesn't support batch conversion. There are no customizable options to control the codec, resolution, or other properties for the result MP4 video file. You have to sign in to the Adobe account to download the final MP4 file.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 online with Adobe Creative Cloud Express:
- Create an Adobe account and log in.
- Go to the GIF to MP4 conversion page of Adobe Creative Cloud Express.
- Hit Upload your file and choose the target GIF file.
- Drag the ends of the bar under the preview window to select the wanted duration.
- Hit Download to save the MP4 file converted from GIF.
GIFTTOMP4 is a free online GIT to MP4 converter that supports the batch conversion from GIF files (up to 20 pieces) into MP4. However, as we can tell from its name, GIFTOMP4 is too basic, which only serves the target of converting GIF to MP4. There are no commonly used features such as compressing or editing GIFs. From our test, it takes more time to load the uploading GIF file successfully under the same network connection state. Just like most other online GIF to video converters, GIFTOMP4 runs annoying ads. These ads might navigate you to some fraud websites.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 online with GIFTOMP4:
- Open up the official site of GIFTOMP4 on your browser.
- Hit UPLOAD FILES and choose the GIF files that you want to turn to MP4.
- Hit Download All to save the exported MP4 file.
With the support of all popular codecs that are compatible with MP4 format, Convertio is a great option for users who want to convert GIFs into H.264/HEVC/MPEG-1/MPEG-2 MP4 videos online. After importing the original GIF file, you can take advantage of the unique Optimize for fast playback start feature to make the outcome more sharable and streamable. We also love its capacity to change the video resolution, length, frame rate, and other parameters, which lets you take full control over the output MP4 file properties. Sadly, it can only convert GIF files under 100MB. To get rid of the limits in size, you have to subscribe to the unlimited plan at the cost of USD50 per month.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 online with Convertio:
- Open up Convertio video converter on the browser.
- Hit Choose Files and select all the GIF files that you want to convert into MP4 for loading.
- Hit the down-triangle button, select Video, and choose MP4.
- Press Convert. Convertio starts to upload the imported GIF files and converts them into MP4 video.
- Click on Download to save the result MP4 video files on the local disc.
ONLINE-CONVERT is a good pick you need a free online GIF to video converter that can also handle the conversion of the document, ebook, music, cad, and archive files. However, the 100MB file size limit and the 3 conversions per day limit make it useless for users who want to convert large GIFs into MP4 files for saving up storage space. The UI design needs some improvements. It has many ads and looks not straightforward enough for beginners to navigate.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 online with ONLINE-CONVERT:
- Navigate to the official site of ONLINE-CONVERT GIF to MP4 converter.
- Hit Choose File to select one or many GIFs files for adding to this free GIF to MP4 converter.
- Press Start to convert GIF to MP4 online with ONLINE-CONVERT.
- Click on Download on the startup new page to save the output MP4 video file.
The Online Converter
The Online Converter is a browser-based media converter that can convert the format between video and picture, video and video, audio and video, audio and audio, etc. As an open-source online GIF to video converter, THEONLINECONVERTER can convert GIF to MP4 video without requiring you to sign up, log in, or purchase. Sadly, it constrains you to export videos in MPEG-4 codec. MPEG4 has lower compression efficiency, compared to advanced codecs like H.264 and HEVC. That is to say, an MP4 video converted from a GIF file via TheOnlineConverter often has a large file size.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 online with The Online Converter:
- Open The Online Converter on Firefox or other browsers.
- Hit Choose Files and select the original GIF files.
- Hit Convert to and choose MP4.
- Press Convert. This free online GIF to MP4 converter can start the conversion process.
- Hit Download to save the MP4 (MPEG4) video converted from the GIF file.
Use Free GIF to MP4 Converters
VideoProc Vlogger, VLC, Avidemux, and a number of free video editors, media players, or video converters that support the import of GIF and the output of MP4 format can work as free GIF to MP4 GIF to MP4 converters and help you convert GIF to MP4 on Windows or Mac without ads or limits in size. Only one thing to give a caution, most of them don't support converting multiple GIF files to MP4 simultaneously.
VideoProc Vlogger is a free yet full-featured video editing program available on Windows and Mac. With it, you can convert animated GIF files to MP4 or MKV video files. It offers a full range of basic and advanced editing toolkits, allowing you to add music, subtitle, transitions, filters, and other visual or audio elements for spicing up the final MP4 video. Thanks to a nifty and self-explained interface, even a beginner can get the conversion and editing jobs done without hassles.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 for free with VideoProc Vlogger:
- Download, install and launch VideoProc Vlogger on Windows or Mac.
- Press +Video and select the GIF file for adding to this free GIF to MP4 converter for Mac and Windows.
- If you want to add music to the GIF file, drag the music clip from the computer to the program. Drag it onto the Audio Track. Apart from that, you can use editing toolkits like Crop and Color to crop or color grade the GIF.
- Hit Export. Press Start to enable the free conversion from GIF to MP4.
It seems that there is nothing VLC can't do, from compressing video files and ripping DVD discs to converting video to audio and turning GIFs into videos. Widely known and used as a multiple media player, VLC is also one of the best picks for converting GIF picture files into MP4. Although it's difficult for beginners to master all the conversion tools hidden in this free GIF to MP4 converter.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 for free with VLC:
- Install the recent release of VLC on its official site.
- Hit Media and press Convert / Save to launch the Open Media panel.
- Drag the target GIF from the computer to the File Selection section.
- Press Convert / Save and select Video — H.264 + MP3 (MP4) for Profile.
- Click on Browse and choose the output file folder.
- Hit Start. VLC starts to convert GIF to MP4 on Windows 11/10 or Mac.
Whenever you need to convert something from media formats into MP4, MKV, or WebM, give HandBrake a try. It supports dozens of prevalent video and audio formats and allows you to convert or compress them into MP4 in batch. Plus, it has all the bells and whistles for adjusting the final MP4 file, from changing the orientation and decreasing the resolution to cropping the redundant frames. The major drawback of this free GIF to MP4 converter is its appearance. The out-of-date design and a number of unexplained jargon make HandBrake hard to learn for newbies.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 for free with HandBrake:
- Install and launch this free GIF to MP4 converter on Windows or Mac.
- Drag the GIF file to the start-up panel of HandBrake.
- Go to the Summary section and choose MP4 for Format.
- Hit Browser and select the desired output folder.
- Press Start Encode to start the conversion from GIF to MP4 for free with HandBrake.
Shutter Encoder is a multiple media converter designed by video editors, so here you have not just the utilities for converting video or picture format from one to another but also all basic toolkits for making some basic video edits. When being used as a GIF to MP4 converter freeware, you can choose AVI/H.264/ HEVC as the target codec, add image/text watermark, put timecode, add transitions, etc. The annoying issue is a lot of codecs and video editing features are buried in the function menu and take several steps to get to.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 for free with Shutter Encoder:
- Install and fire up Shutter Encoder on your computer.
- Hit Browse under Choose files button on the top and choose the GIF file that you want to convert into MP4.
- Choose MP4 for the Ext. option. Choose H.264 as the target video codec.
- Hit Start Function to start the conversion from GIF to MP4 via this free GIF to MP4 converter.
Kdenlive is another good piece of video editor that can be used as a handy and free GIF to MP4 converter. It has similar features as the mentioned VideoProc Vlogger, adding music files to GIFs, making color adjustments, and trimming unwanted segments, to name just a few. However, Kdenlive takes a steeper learning curve to master. And it takes more CPU resources when importing and converting GIF files. Thus, we don't recommend green hands or users who are running a slow computer to convert GIF to MP4 via Kdenlive.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 for free with Kdenlive:
- Install and fire up Kdenlive on your computer.
- Drag the GIF file to this free MP4 to MP4 converter. Hit Continue on the warning box.
- Drag the GIF file to the video track on the Timeline section.
- Hit Render on under the top menu bar.
- Click on the file icon and choose the output file.
- Go to the Format section and select MP4-H.264/AAC under the Generic option.
- Hit Render to File to start the conversion from GIF to MP4 for free via Kdenlive.
How to Convert GIF to MP4 on Android or iPhone
If you are looking into how to convert GIF to MP4 on Android or iPhone, then use any one of the 3 free GIF to MP4 apps I listed below.
GIF Maker & GIF Converter
GIF Make & GIF Converter is a lightweight GIF to MP4 converter available on Android, allowing you to play GIF files and convert them into MP4 videos. After the conversion, you can hit the Share button to share the MP4 video file on social media instantly. It has no extra features in addition to trimming off unnecessary segments. Another possible annoying issue is it converts only one GIF file at a time.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 on Android with GIF Maker & GIF Converter:
- Go to the Google Play Store to download and install this android based GIF to MP4 app.
- Launch up the application and allow it to access your gallery.
- Select the target GIF file. GIF Maker & GIF Converter might take several minutes to load the file.
- Hit the download icon on the top right to save the exported MP4 file turned from GIF.
iOS users can make use of Shortcuts to convert GIF to MP4 without paying or installing third-party GIF to MP4 converters. This iOS native application includes more than 300 built-in actions and commands for working with your applications as well as managing and converting your media files. The process to enable the automated workflow of converting GIF to MP4 is a little complicated, but it'll work.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 on iOS with Shortcuts:
- Install Shortcuts on iPhone, iPad, or other iOS devices if you haven't installed it.
- Press this link: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/f7a606f6cf904fd9b672bf4980d560ae.
- Hit Get Shortcut on the new page. This will navigate you to the Shortcuts app.
- Press Add Shortcut. Go to your album to find the target GIF file. Tap on the Share button and choose Copy Photo.
- Go to Shortcuts and hit the gif to video command we just added.
- Press Allow Once or Allow Always. Go to your photo album. Herein, you can find the MP4 video converted from the GIF file.
VN Video Editor
If you need a reliable GIF to MP4 app that has more features yet is still easy to use, VN Video Editor is a good option. The support of GIF and MP4 formats ensures you can convert animated GIF pictures to MP4 videos without error. Designed as a free video editing app, VN Video Editor has all the best toolkits, such as curved speed and animated titles, to edit and improve your video files.
Even better, it lets you change the video aspect ratio, so you can get the best view experience when playing the exported MP4 video on TikTok, Pinterest, or other popular platforms. Unfortunately, VN Video Editor is still far from perfect as it doesn't support batch conversion. The maximum resolution of the output video is 1080P. There is no option to choose the output codec.
Here's how to convert GIF to MP4 on iOS with VN Video Editor:
- Download VN Editor on Google Play Store or App Store.
- Launch up this GIF to video converter, tap the plus icon, and hit New Project to start a new project.
- Tap on Photo and select the target GIF file. Hit the right-arrow button to proceed.
- Hit Export and press the right key to start to save GIF as MP4.
How do I convert GIF to MP4 in Photoshop?
To convert GIF to MP4 in Photoshop, follow the below steps:
- Install Photoshop on your computer and subscribe to the monthly plan, which cost 29.9USD.
- Go to File, hit Import, select Video Frames to Layers, and then select the original GIF file for import.
- Click on File, press Export, and choose Render Video.
- On the new Render Video panel, rename the output file and choose the desired output folder.
- Hit Render. Photoshop starts to save GIF as MP4.
How to convert GIF to MP4 on a Mac?
To convert GIF to MP4 on Mac, all you need is a capable GIF to MP4 converter that's compatible with macOS. And from our test, one of the most user-friendly and efficient options is VideoProc Converter. Here's how you can convert GIF to MP4 on a Mac via this all-in-one GIF to MP4 converter.
- Install, download, and run VideoProc Converter.
- Hit Video, choose + Video, and select the source GIF files for adding to the program.
- Choose MP4 H.264 and hit Run to start the conversion from the animated GIF picture to MP4.