Remember how Spider Man activated the interrogation mode of his tech suit, and used a built-in voice changer to create a frightening voice? The young Peter Parker needed that deep voice to inflict fear into criminals.
Voice morphing is fun, and the good news is, you don't need to hire a Hollywood audio editing team to tweak your voice. We tested and gathered a dozen of best free voice changer software in this article, including real-time voice changer for Discord, twitch, PC, and other streaming and chatting apps, as well as non-real-time voice modulation tools that can alter your voice and save the audio files.
You can use these desktop audio editing programs to alter your voice, in following situations and beyond:
- To create a hilarious effect when you are gaming, streaming, and chatting;
- To stay anonymous or make your gender unintelligible with female/male voice changer;
- To spice up a Discord chattering or prank a friend with a tweaked voice;
- To dub a YouTube video with funny voiceover;
- To speak in a baby voice on a Zoom conference call (might get your fired).
You can try several programs to decide which one offers you the best experience to change voice on-the-fly, and stick to the one you are most comfortable with in different situations.
1. VideoProc Vlogger Voice Changer
Supported OS: Windows; Mac (M1 chip supported natively).
Visit product page: https://www.videoproc.com/video-editing-software/
The free voice changer in VideoProc Vlogger is easy to use in a click. You can select an audio clip, and use a preset to alter the voice, for instance, from male to female voice, from female to male voice, from adult to child voice. To add more fun, you can try the robot sound, the chipmunk sound, etc.
VideoProc Vlogger is a video editing software that has powerful audio editing features built-in. If you are creating videos or audio programs, such as Podcasts, you can use the built-in video pitch changer to edit the sound.
It allows you to export the video, or export the audio only. You can also extract any audio from existing videos, and morph its voice flexibly. There is also an 10-band Equalizer and Sound Effects panel in VideoProc Vlogger to change the sound.
- Change voice easily in 1-click with presets.
- Apply different presets to the same audio track/to a selected portion.
- Edit the audio and video, and export with flexible options.
- Not designed for altering the system sound of the computer.
VideoProc Vlogger Voice Changer Tutorial
Method 1: Use Voice Changer Presets
- Import audio to media library and add to timeline.
- Click on the audio clip and scroll in Inspector Panel to the voice changing section.
- Use one of the presets, such as morphing female voice to male voice.
- Tweak the audio pitch parameters to your liking.
Method 2. Apply Audio Effects
- Click on the audio clip and go to Audio Editor.
- Hit the Effects tool in Audio Editor and choose the Pitch FX.
- Adjust the pitch by dragging the slider.
- You can also apply other AFX such as reverb, echo, auto pan.
Method 3. Adjust Audio Speed to Change Pitch
- Select the audio clip and go to the Speed Editor.
- Toggle on the Change Voice Pitch option.
- Slow down or speed up the audio clip.
- In this way, you can mimic Chipmunk voices and more.
2. Voxal Voice Changer
Supported OS: Windows 7, XP, Vista, 8, 8.1 and 10; Mac OS X 10.5 or above
Visit product page: https://www.nchsoftware.com/voicechanger/
Voxal Voice Changer is developed by NCH software. It combines real-time voice changing and offline recording into the package. You can alter your voice for fun or to prank you friends, the magic happens in real-time. No matter you are trolling around in Steam games, CSGO, Rainbow Six Siege, Skype or TeamSpeak, your voice can be morph simultaneously. Robot, girl, boy, alien, atmospheric, or echo, you can pick whatever you like.
Besides changing the voice on-the-fly, you can also record voiceover, import audios already stored on your computer, and morph it to the way you like. For instance, you can create voices for characters in audiobooks, dubbing for you vlogs, and change the pitch to conceive your real voice. There are effect chains in UI, it's easy to modify the sound, view what effects you have applied, and delete some part from the chain if you don't like it.
Note: Voxal can automatically change the configuration or settings in other programs. For some people, this could be a time-saver, as you don't need to switch the audio profile manually in Discord, Skype, Steam, etc. However, it might trigger security programs to wrongly treat Voxal as malware.
Female voice settings in Voxal:
There are several girl voices preloaded in Voxal voice changer. To record or alter your voice to sound like a girl, you can click the People folder from the left panel, and choose any female preset.
You can fine-tune the girl voice by adjusting a combination of several effects. Here is a simple guide: 1. Click on the Edit icon; 2. Go to Voxal Effects; 3. Change parameters from effects such as reverb, flanger, pitch, distortion, etc.
- Hear your altered voice immediately (enable it in settings to hear the effects live).
- Option to adjust the pitch of your voice, or add effects such as echo and reverb.
- Limited editing features for recorded voices.
- Less straightforward to 1-click switch among voices.
3. MorphVOX Junior
Supported OS: Windows; Mac (Pro Version)
Visit product page: https://screamingbee.com/morphvox-free-voice-changer
Presented by Screamingbee, MorphVOX has been around since 2005, and the UI hasn't changed much. You can instantly feel the early- or mid-2000's design trend from its retro interface. The archaic interface doesn't prevent it from being a piece of handy voice changer software for Windows 10/11 PC.
Tips: If you want to alter your voice in Discord, Skype and Twitch, make sure the audio setting in each app uses "Screaming Bee Audio" as default. It will send out the voices changed by MorphVOX in real-time, be it voices captured from your external microphone or built-in mic.
For a non-techie person, MorphVOX has ready-to-use voice modulation profiles, such as child, warrior, robot. For advanced users, there are sliders to manually manipulate the timbre of your voice. Besides changing the voice to sound like another person, you can also utilize the sound effects such as beep beep, gunshot, cuckoo in IM and VoIP for fun.
There are many handy features for online chatting and gaming scenarios too. For instance, you can create shortcut key for any effects, making it real quick to switch sound. Key-mapping makes it easy for full screen in-game situations. For paid version, you can set unlimited shortcut for any sound.
- The free version comes with numerous effects to toy around.
- It is easy to switch between different speakers.
- If you want to record your voice, create voice-overs or import existing audio files and alter the voice, the Junior version doesn't support it.
- Ads banner could be annoying in Junior version.
Note: MorphVOX Junior is the free version of Screamingbee's voice changer for PC, for more features, you can upgrade to MorphVOX Pro.
4. Clownfish Voice Changer
Supported OS: Windows Vista/7/8/10
Visit product page: https://clownfish-translator.com/voicechanger/
Clownfish is a popular application on Windows to alter your voice simultaneously when you are talking. You can use it for Discord, Skype, TeamSpeak, Viber, Ekiga, Jitsi, Ventrilo, Mumble etc. It is a barebones program with effects clearly displayed in home screen. You won't see a daunting interface with buttons, sliders, and audio processing jargons to joy around.
Clownfish offers you many sound choices: female, male, alien, Atari, helium, clone, radio, robot. You can simple click the corresponding icon, and talk to your microphone. You voice will be changed on the fly as you are talking. You can visit the developer's page to free download full version of the voice changer for PC.
- Clownfish has a slight edge in terms of simplicity and easiness to navigate.
- It is also a voice assistant that allows you to convert text to speech.
- Lack advanced settings for power users.
- Less flexible to switch sound quickly when you are gaming in full screen.
Clownfish Not Changing Voice? Here Are Reasons and Fixes
1. External/built-in microphone is not synced with the Clownfish.
Microphone installation is the key to the fix. You can right-click in Clownfish, go to Setup, and click the install under system integration mode. Remember to restart the computer after installation.
2. Clownfish is not installed in the default folder.
Clownfish may not function when you install it in other directory. You can uninstall and reinstall the app to the local drive C.
3. You haven't chosen Clownfish as the virtual voice in Discord.
After you finish installing and configuring Clownfish, make sure to check settings in Discord: Voice > Input Device, and choose one that corresponds to Clownfish.
Read more: 4 Ways to Fix Clownfish not working for Discord or Skype >>
Supported OS: Windows 7/8/10; Mac; the Dev is working on Linux version
Visit product page: https://www.voicemod.net/
Update - April, 23 2023 - The Mac version is released now at: https://www.voicemod.net/voice-changer-for-mac/
Voicemod is another nice choice among real time voice changer software. It has sleeker UI than the alternatives. With popular sound effects scattering on the homescreen, it is easier to navigate and instantly change your voice by clicking a corresponding icon: alien, baby, cave, Frankenstein, and one you never thought of. As Voicemod installs a virtual audio driver, it alters any sound that goes into your audio input such as a microphone. Therefore, you can change your voice for Discord, and any other streaming apps, CSGO, PUBG and lots more.
It also has a nice Meme Sound Machine feature out of the box, which acts like a soundboard to play funny soundbites or audio clips. You can import any audio files and map it to a hotkey. When you are trolling online chat rooms, gaming or streaming, you can quickly play sound effects or morph your voice to celebrities such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, and anime characters such as Rick and Morty.
Tips: Voicemod makes it easy to record anime voice for Japanimation lovers. You can use following settings to configure the Anime Voice: 100% Mix I; 80%Pitch 1; Turn off Humanizer I; 100% Mix II; 70% Pitch 2; Turn on Humanizer II.
- Option to control the volume of each sound.
- Tick "Hear Self" to hear how the effects changes your voice.
- Large amount of autotune plugins to use (Pro version).
- There are 7 presets to use every week in free version.
- You cannot save your favorite voice changer parameters in free version.
6. AthTek Skype Voice Changer
Supported OS: Windows Vista/7/8/10
Visit product page: https://www.athtek.com/skype-voice-changer/
Skype Voice Changer is a lightweight utility to install on your Windows. Simple yet powerful, it has all the basic components you can expect from a free real-time voice changer for PC. You can record and playback to hear how each effect sound like before applying it.
Besides changing the pitch of your voice, this mini tool also have sound emotions baked in. You can yawn, whistle, laugh, or add a background noise such as a plane spinning or a cicada buzzing.
- Lightweight and easy to use.
- Free online library available to download more official sound effects.
- Option to import local sound emotions from other resources.
- Comparatively less voice types and characters.
- Free version limits voice recording up to 1 minute.
7. AV Voice Changer
Supported OS: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10
Visit product page: https://www.audio4fun.com/voice-changer.htm
AV Voice Changer takes a more professional stand against other free voice changer software on this list. It is more of a voice modulator with editing and recording abilities. You can also use it as a real-time voice changer for Discord and streaming Apps.
With advanced voice morphing algorithms, people wish to sound deeper, older, younger, or changing voice to female or male will find their luck with this tool. Unlike other basic programs, the built-in female to male voice changer is sophisticated with options as: 20-35 years old Man, 36-60 years old Man, Angry Man, to name a few.
Besides morphing your voice in real-time chatting, it also supports recording, loading existing audio, trimming and cutting audio. You can save altered voice recordings and later use it as voiceover in videos, as many YouTubers have done to make their video sounds funny.
Further reading: how to add audio files to a video>>
- Actively updated with a growing library of sound effects for pro users.
- More customizable options to alter voice by changing multiple parameters.
- There are many sleeker skins to use.
- Free version is more like a demo than a fully-fledged package.
- Relatively pricier than other freemium voice changing software.
8. AthTek All-in-One Voice Changer
Supported OS: Windows Vista/7/8 (Also works on Windows 11 when we tested it)
Visit product page: https://www.athtek.com/voice-changer.html
All-in-One Voice Changer is a really barebones program. Presented by AthTek, this tool is based on the developer's previous program Skype Voice Changer. You can tell from the interface how these two pieces of software resembles each other. Besides Skype, you can also use this free voice changer for Discord, Yahoo messages, online chatting room and so on.
- It consumes minimum CPU space comparing to other large programs.
- You can import local audio files to change the pitch.
- The interface looks outdated and the voice types are less appealing.
- There are not so much exciting features comparing to its precedent voice changer for Skype.
Voicechanger.io allows you to quickly upload a recorded audio file and pick a voice type to morph. You can playback the example of each profile before choosing one. It works nicely with more than 50 presettings, though the developer merely calls it a hobby project.
Tips: If you are a big fan of Nintendo Switch Animal Crossing game, and want to speak "Animalese", you can try the highlighted two voice types to change your voice. These two voice changer settings resemble the game the most.
10. Female to Male Voice Changer
There are not alien, robots, baby or cat voices. The solemn role of this tool is to alter female voice to male voice. The drop-down menu provides you with subtle options, such as slightly lower pitch, extremely low pitch or chipmunk. We had a good laughter when it changes our cat's meow into a deeper voice.
The best thing is, if you import a video into this voice changer, it will automatically extract the audio within and changing the pitch accordingly.
11. Voice Spice
Voice Spice allows you to quickly adjust the pitch slider, record your voice directly within the browser, and download the altered sound. Besides female and male voice changer, you can choose Space Squirrel, Robot and Hell Demon effects. It also has a text-to-speech generator, where you can input scripts and choose a voice for it. You can use it as a workaround way to change your voice and dub for a video.
Bonus Tip: DIY Voice Changer
The mechanism behind voice changer is adjusting the pitch of the audio, so it sounds differently. Plus, there are effects such as reverb and echo added to simulate the environment you are in. Once you know the basics, you can drag the sliders and tweak with parameters to make any real-time mixer a voice changer.
Voicemeeter Banana by VB-audio is perhaps the most popular one for you to alter the voice. It has a sleek interface, the most futuristic design among the list, and it is completely free of charge. Make sure you plug in the microphone before launching the program, and then you can adjust the settings and test repeatedly until the altered sound meets your demand.
- Free and powerful audio tool with nice interface.
- Support recording stereo sound, with A1 to A3 channel.
- Complex to set up for different platforms and apps such as OBS and Discord.
- Require some knowledge in sound manipulation to make corresponding tweaks.
Can you change your voice in Discord?
Yes. You can use any voice changer that installs a virtual audio drive on system level, simply go to Discord settings > Voice & Video > Input Device, and select the corresponding virtual audio device.
Are voice changers illegal?
Not if you use it properly. You can use a voice changer for entertaining activities, or creating funny sound effects for video projects. It is illegal if you alter your voice to impersonating other people or disguise your identity for criminal activities.
What is the best free voice changer?
Taking into account the types of voices available and ease of use, MorphVOX Junior, Clownfish Voice Changer and AthTek All-in-One Voice Changer work nicely as free voice changer software. Voicemod, Voxal, AV Voice Changer are powerful with more sliders to tweak with, but these freemuim lock much of their functionality behind a paid version.