5 Best Free MKV Video Editors to Edit MKV Videos
Before cutting to the chase and knowing which the best free MKV video editor software is, a quick word on some basic information of MKV.
MKV can be thought of as a video container which also renders support to a large number of picture, audio and subtitle tracks. The Matroska Video file is open source in nature and comes stacked with a plethora of features. It is popular as an HD video carrier which supports ratings, descriptions, chapter points and cover art. Maybe this is the reason behind choosing MKV as the default video container format which is used by various popular video editing softwares. Multimedia content such as TV shows and movies are stored in this universal format.
Why Can't MKV Be Imported in Some Video Editors?
MKV is not compatible with all video editing software. Video editors like iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere don't support MKV.
The main reason behind this is the sheer complications of MKV format which also has a very big size. MKV is most compatible with FFV1 codec which has not been much standardized till date.
To Edit MKV Videos, Try the 5 Best Free MKV Editors
MKV format was specially designed to undertake premium grade video compression. It can thus easily combine multiple audio tracks as well as subtitle tracks with HD video. This in turn leads to significantly large file sizes exceeding 4 GB.
Such attributes often create an acute demand for a MKV video editor and that is why we have collated five such tools which can be used to edit MKV meta data.
This easy-to-use yet powerful video editor and converter can suffice the users of Windows and Mac coupled with its support towards a variety of media formats beyond MKV itself. Its GPU accelerated engine helps in undertaking video editing work while diminishing CPU usage. Users can even edit the metadata of MKV files coupled with VideoProc without re-encoding the same.
- Suited for both novice and experienced users.
- Can process UHD, 4K, HD, slow-motion and large-sized videos.
- Supports video download from thousand plus online sources.
- Compatible with 420 output formats and 370 input codecs.
Linear editing software. Maybe too basic for professional users.
Free Download VideoProc to Edit and Convert Any MKV, MP4, AVI Footages
This video editing app has been specially made for Linux, Mac and Windows interface. In spite of having a basic interface, it packs in a large number of features. Users can switch easily between Advanced and Simple views. The interface can also be customised for suiting your specific set of requirements. Audio files, still photos and different types of video codecs can be imported to OpenShot which offers users with 14 effects and an impressive number of transitions.
- Multi-platform editor which gets updated and improved regularly.
- Panes can be moved to other parts of the interface.
- Different panels can be turned into floating windows.
- Keyframe animation works very well in OpenShot.
- It cannot open AVCHD files.
- Tends to become incredibly slow when effects are applied.
Shotcut is a top-notch video editor which is compatible with Mac, Windows and Linux operating systems. This open source app serves as the perfect replacement of Windows Movie Maker as it packs in all the old features along with exiting new ones. Users can trim down the footages to their desired length prior to converting it into their chosen format. Footages can be saved directly from the webcam coupled with its recording function. Shotcut can also handle streaming in RTMP, HTTP, MMS, RTSP, HLS and UDP formats.
- Has an extremely well designed interface which adds up to its lucrativeness.
- Fully customizable filters open up greater possibilities ahead of users.
- Users can add modules to the display by clicking buttons located at the top bar.
- Multiple tracks can be created for video and audio.
- Doesn't have ready-made profiles meant for exporting to different devices.
- Users cannot preview the filter prior to applying the same.
Avidemux is compatible with a large variety of formats which adds up to its lucrativeness. It can even suffice users having limited editing experience who wish to cut videos and edit the same by applying visual effects. Users can also add audio streams to the footages for a more professional feel. Avidemux performs the dual role of a video editor as well as converter.
- Available for both Windows and Mac users.
- Supports different formats like OGM, MKV, MPG, MP4, FLV, AVI etc.
- Presents excellent encoding options.
- Comes stacked with various de-noising and sharpening filters.
- Interface seems a bit complicated and might take time to get used to.
- Lacks adequate transitions and creative effects.
If you are searching for a video ripper which is compatible with a large variety of files, then VSDC video editor can surely serve you well. It is compatible with MKV, AVI, MPG, MP4, MOV, WMV, FLV, DAT and DIVX formats which opens up greater possibilities ahead of users. Latest updates have added to the flexibility level of users working on multiple monitors at the same time. You can create video projects having maximum resolution of 1980x1090 pixels with its free version.
- Comes with a built-in screen capture tool which can click images while recording videos.
- Offers a large variety of videos and audio filters having stylish transitions.
- The finished projects can be exported in different formats.
- The projects can be directly burned onto a DVD.
- Hardware acceleration needs to be disabled prior to video export.
- Lacks popular features like motion tracking and 360-degree edit.
Troubleshooting MKV Loading Errors
Even while working on a video editor compatible with MKV, users come across the "MKV files can't be loaded" error. This error can be fixed by transcoding the video from MKV to more universally accepted formats like MP4. VideoProc can come in to your rescue in such a scenario by helping you convert MKV files to other formats in three simple steps which have been mentioned below:
Step 1. Add in the MKV video by clicking on +Video option.
Step 2. Next you will have to click on Video tab appearing at the bottom of the interface. This will present you with different video formats and you will have to choose your desired one for example MP4.
Step 3. Now set the destination folder by clicking on Browse and ultimately initiate the conversion process by clicking on RUN.
We hope you were benefitted by our today's discussion on the best MKV video editors. You can even try out Blender, GilliSoft Video Editor and similar tools for editing and converting MKV files to other formats.