Summary: Feel perplexed about how to edit MKV files? Check the top 7 free MKV video editors. If you want to edit a large MKV video or .mkv files encoded in different codecs without any loading problems and glitches, we recommend using VideoProc Converter, a free MKV video editor.
Particularly known as an HD video carrier which supports ratings, descriptions, chapter points and cover art and can store multimedia content, MKV suit exceedingly well some users' needs. But it still has its defect, one of which is that MKV is not compatible with many mainstream video editors, like iMovie, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere. The main reason behind this is the sheer complications of MKV format and its significantly large file sizes which usually exceeds 4 GB.
But no worries. In this post, we will show you the best MKV editor that you can work with to edit the MKV files easily. Scroll down and check them now.
With the access towards a variety of media formats beyond MKV itself, this easy-to-use yet powerful video editor and converter can suffice the users' demands. Its GPU accelerated engine helps in undertaking video editing work while diminishing CPU usage. In VideoProc Converter, users can edit their MKV files without triggering any quality loss or going through redundant re-encoding work.
- Intuitive interface makes MKV processing pretty easy.
- Reliable video shortener to cut and trim MKV files without damaging the video quality.
- A MKV metadata editor letting you edit the metadata.
- Batch convert MKV to MP4 without re-encoding, thus it is super fast and no quality loss.
- Compatible with 420+ output formats and 370+ input codecs.
- Edit 4K 60 FPS MKV videos without choppy powered by GPU acceleration.
- MKV video downloader from a thousand plus online sources.
- Linear editing software. Maybe too basic for professional users.
OpenShot is video editing app specially made for Linux, Mac and Windows interface. In spite of having a basic interface, it packs in a large number of features. Users can switch easily between Advanced and Simple views. The interface can also be customised for suiting your specific set of requirements. Audio files, still photos and different types of video codecs can be imported to OpenShot which offers users with 14 effects and an impressive number of transitions.
- Multi-platform editor which gets updated and improved regularly.
- Panes can be moved to other parts of the interface.
- Different panels can be turned into floating windows.
- Keyframe animation works very well in OpenShot.
- It cannot open AVCHD files.
- Tends to become incredibly slow when effects are applied.
3. AceThinker Video Editor Premium
AceThinker Video Editor Premium is one of the great tools to edit MKV files easily. This video editor is intentionally designed for both Windows and Mac operating systems. Like other video editors, it offers multiple editing features such as crop, edit, rotate, apply effects, and more. However, it has a video enhancement feature that allows users to upscale their video resolutions from SD to HD. With AceThinker Video Editor Premium, exposure correction of videos is refined since it automatically adjusts brightness and contrast. Aside from MKV, it also supports numerous formats, including MP4, MOV, FLV, etc. Even more interesting is that even 3D videos are competently supported with this video editor.
- Available in multiple languages such as English, French, German, and Japanese.
- Supports different output formats like iPhone, Samsung, LG, Huawei, Xbox, Wii, etc.
- Gets rid of unnecessary video noises and fixes shaky video issues.
- Create and apply customized watermarks for the protection of copyright.
- Occasional lag may occur, depending on the stability of the internet connection.
- Currently has no mobile versions.
Shotcut is a top-notch video editor which is compatible with Mac, Windows and Linux operating systems. This open source app serves as the perfect replacement of Windows Movie Maker as it packs in all the old features along with exiting new ones. Users can trim down the footage to their desired length prior to converting it into their chosen format. Footage can be saved directly from the webcam coupled with its recording function. Shotcut can also handle streaming in RTMP, HTTP, MMS, RTSP, HLS and UDP formats.
- Has an extremely well-designed interface which adds up to its lucrativeness.
- Fully customizable filters open up greater possibilities ahead of users.
- Users can add modules to the display by clicking buttons located at the top bar.
- Multiple tracks can be created for video and audio.
- Doesn't have ready-made profiles meant for exporting to different devices.
- Users cannot preview the filter prior to applying the same.
Avidemux is compatible with a large variety of formats which adds up to its lucrativeness. It can even suffice users having limited editing experience who wish to cut videos and edit the same by applying visual effects. Users can also add audio streams to the footage for a more professional feel. Avidemux performs the dual role of a video editor as well as converter.
- Available for both Windows and Mac users.
- Supports different formats like OGM, MKV, MPG, MP4, FLV, AVI etc.
- Presents excellent encoding options.
- Comes stacked with various de-noising and sharpening filters.
- Interface seems a bit complicated and might take time to get used to.
- Lacks adequate transitions and creative effects.
If you are searching for a video ripper which is compatible with a large variety of files, then VSDC video editor can surely serve you well. It is compatible with MKV, AVI, MPG, MP4, MOV, WMV, FLV, DAT and DIVX formats which opens up greater possibilities ahead of users. The latest updates have added to the flexibility level of users working on multiple monitors at the same time. You can create video projects having maximum resolution of 1980x1090 pixels with its free version.
- Comes with a built-in screen capture tool which can click images while recording videos.
- Offers a large variety of videos and audio filters having stylish transitions.
- The finished projects can be exported in different formats.
- The projects can be directly burned onto a DVD.
- Hardware acceleration needs to be disabled prior to video export.
- Lacks popular features like motion tracking and 360-degree edit.
If you seek for a quick in-and-out approach and want to get the result speedily, you could turn to Clideo, the mkv editor online to edit your MKV videos.
- Open Clideo's MKV Video Cutter tool, and upload your MKV file.
- Move the sliders to the snippet that you want to extract or delete.
- You could relish your video with the Fade in and Fade out effects, or kick off Crossfade to smoothen the transition of each frames.
- Click Cut, export your MKV video and save.
One thing you need to know is that the online tools irrespective of their conveniences might fail to meet the ends need for more advanced edits.
How to Edit MKV Files
First you'll need to download and install VideoProc Converter on your device. It's compatible with both Windows and macOS. Then follow the steps below to edit MKV files.
Step 1. Import MKV files to the program
Launch VideoProc Converter and click "Video" button. Then click "+Video" to find the wanted MKV videos and import the files to the software. You can also add all the needed matroska video files for batch editing by dragging and dropping them to the program.
Step 2. Edit MKV files
With VideoProc Converter, you could find all the basic edits that you could apply into your video, like trim, split, cut, crop, rotate video, and insert effect, subtitle, and watermarks. On top of that, you could also relish a basket of features which other video editors might fail to furnish. For example,
Trim or cut MKV without losing quality, tracks, subtitles, etc.
VideoProc Converter offers the feature of trimming MKV files while keeping audio or subtitle tracks. To do so:
- Add your MKV video by dragging and dropping it into the program.
- Click to expand the audio and subtitle lists under the video title, and check to keep all existing tracks.
- Click the gear icon named Option.
- Set Video Codec Options as per your needs in the Format tab.
- Check the Force Copy box under audio codec options, thus to remux all the audio tracks into the edited MKV video.
- Go to the Edit Video tab, then click Cut.
- Drag the knobs to select the part you want to cut out, and click the scissors icon. Then you can also click the Edit button to enter the exact in and out points.
- Click Done to save the changes.
- Hit the big blue RUN button to start editing.
Listed down below are some features that I like most out of the versatile mkv video editor:
- Cut and trim MKV without re-rendering at the lightning-fast speed.
- Stabilize the shaky MKV footage.
- Merge the MKV file with the videos of the same or different formats.
- Convert your MKV video to other formats with no quality loss.
- Edit MKV metadata without remuxing.
- GPU acceleration: fast edit 4K 60 FPS MKV videos on a less-powerful machine without choppy.
- Apply filters and change its intensity in brightness, contrast, hue, and more.
Tips: Just so you know, more advanced video editing features like to edit music, colors and filters, and to apply speed, motions and transitions will make a brilliant appearance with the launch of the new video editor, VideoProc Vlogger.
Step 3. Edit MKV metadata
Click on the Name and Tag of the Option panel, you could edit MKV metadata like tittle, artist, name etc.
Step 4. Save the edited MKV file(s)
Click Run to save and export your edited file. Please don't forget to toggle on the Hardware Acceleration Engine option to ensure the fastest processing speed.
Troubleshooting MKV Loading Errors
Even while working on a video editor compatible with MKV, users come across the "MKV files can't be loaded" error. This error can be fixed by transcoding the video from MKV to more universally accepted formats like MP4. VideoProc Converter can come in to your rescue in such a scenario by helping you convert MKV files to other formats without quality loss:
Step 1. Add in the MKV video by clicking on +Video option.
Step 2. Click on Video tab appearing at the bottom of the interface. This will present you with different video formats, and you will have to choose your desired one for example MP4.
Step 3. Set the destination folder by clicking on Browse and ultimately initiate the conversion process by clicking on RUN.