To minimize the loss in quality made by Instagram, click here: upload HQ instagram tips 
How to Avoid Instagram Get your Full Quality Videos Blurry after Uploading Them?
"I spent a month on an edit and I rendered it... looked awesome then I uploaded it to Instagram... looked like crap. The color changes, it gets blurry, very frustrating."
Is it weird that you upload a 4K video to Instagram but it looks like a 240p video with a dramatic loss of quality? Downscaling to 240p might be an overstatement, but the low quality is true. Many Instagram content creators may not be strange to that blurriness as Instagram has long been notorious for ruining the quality of videos posted including the short and small-size clip.
How that happens and is there a way to upload the video to Instagram without quality loss? Let's dig deeper into these questions and look at the useful solutions to stop Instagram from ruining quality.
Analysis: Why are my Instagram videos blurry? The Instagram compression algorithm is the major culprit to ruin your video. What is that for? Save the storage space and bandwidth. Instagram is not the cloud storage to hold your video files, but an online media sharing app and social network platform. Therefore, it never means to hold all data of the file posted.
Once you uploaded a video, it calculates and then compresses your file to a reasonable size and resolution for storing it on the server. What is the reasonable size or resolution? Those requirements differ and depend on the way you upload your video. Click to quickly browse instagram video requirements.
See if you upload a 10-minute video to IGTV, the file size has to be smaller than 650MB. The problem is a 10-minute video took by iPhone11 is around 2GB. Once the source file is larger than the Instagram video requirements, it will be compressed. For video post to Instagram Feed-in, footages shot in 4K would be squeezed to 1080P while 480P/720P enlarged to the same 1080P resolution. And, as you can imagine, videos get blurred.
How to Stop Instagram Ruining Video Quality? The Key: compress video to what Instagram exactly wants The Easiest Solution
Just as we mentioned before, Instagram is a social media platform, not a video hosting site. It always compresses videos for efficient content loading. To avoid Instagram ruin your high-quality video with its poor compression algorithm, compress the footage previously to match up with Instagram requirements. And this can be easily done through entry-level video editor software like VideoProc, without the painful and long learning curve. You don't have to reach out to ultra-professional editing tools, such as Adobe Premiere Pro.
VideoProc - A Powerful Video Processor to Convert High Quality Video for Instagram
- Resize an Instagram video for high quality posting in 5 ways
- Convert any video into Instagram supported formats and 420+ others including MOV,MP4 etc.
- Downscale or upscale video resolution or file size without quality loss
- Built in robust editing toolkit allows you
crop, trim, split, rotate, denoise your footage
- Speical for GoPro video uploading to Instagram: Deshake
- Bonus: GPU acceleration - 4K/large video processing FAST
Detailed Requirements for Instagram Video
1. What Type of Video File Can You Upload to Instagram?
- IGTV video must be a MP4 clip longer than one minute, less than 15minutes if uploading from your mobile or 60minutes if posting from web. Aspect ratio: 16:9 or 9:16. Minimum frame rate: 30FPS. Minimum resolution: 720P. The maximum file size: 650MB (10minutes or less), and 3.6GB (up to 60minutes).
- In-feed Instagram video should be in MP4 or MOV format. Video length: 3 to 60 seconds. Aspect ratio: 1:91:1 (landscape), 1:1 (square), and 4:5 (vertical). Max Frame rate: 30FPS. Max Resolution: 1080P. Max File size: 4GB.
- Instagram story video should be a MP4 or MOV Video less than 15 seconds. Aspect ratio: 9:16. Minimum frame rate: 30FPS. Maximum file size: 4GB.
2. Does Instagram Support 1080P Video?
Instagram recommends you to share videos in resolution of 1080 x 1920P, and it also regulates a video uploading to IGTV should have minimum resolution of 720P. So yes, it supports 1080P video.
How to Upload High Quality Videos to Instagram in 5 Ways?
Step 1. Download VideoProc. After the installation, open the software and click "Video" to get into video editing and transcoding center. Then load your video file through "+Video".
Step 2. Cut video for Instagram
To take Instagram Story as example, the video should be less than 15 seconds. Then how to post 20 seconds video on Instagram Story? Short and trim videos with VideoProc.
1. Click "Cut", drag the slider to specify the range you need.
2. Press "Cut" button and then "Done".
3. Do 1 and 2 again to trim the whole video into several clips.
* The guide on How to cut video on Mac/PC starts from Time [02:10]
Step 3. Clip "Crop" to resize video
If you post a 16:9 landscape video to Instagram Feed-in, Instagram will compress it to a 1:1ratio rate. The highlight of video may miss being cropped off as Instagram doesn't understand your video. What's worse, some parts of the frame will be zoomed in with blurriness. Therefore, it is necessary to resize the ratio rate of your video manually. How to crop video for Instagram?
1. Enable Crop, choose 1:1 for Instagram in the dropdown list of "Preset", and then "Done".
2. Or choose "Free" in Preset to resize the image manually for Facebook, YouTube, etc.
Step 4. Convert any video to MP4 (H.264).
MP4 (H.264) is high compression ratio which is accepted by Instagram. Convert the originally video to MP4 clip by clicking Output formant and select MP4 (H.264).
Step 5. Upscale or downscale video resolution
It is said that video would be kept in high quality if you upconvert 1080p to 4K first and then upload it for compressing. According to our tests, the winner of "highest quality" goes to video originally shoot in 4k but convert to 1080p.
High quality - video shot in 4K, downscaled to 1080p manually for Instagram
Good quality – video shot in 1080p uploaded to Instagram
Slightly pixelated - video shot in 1080p, upscaled to 4K manually, compressed to 1080p by Instagram
Bad quality - video shot in 4K, compressed to 1080p by Instagram
How to downscale your 4K video to 1080P？
1. After step 5, click the blue gear.
2. Find the resolution setting options and choose 1920x1080.
Step 6. Merge resized clips.
1. Move to the preview window on the main interface.
2. Find "Merge" right under the "Hardware Acceleration Engine". Enable "Merge" option. Keep in mind that the combined new one shouldn't go beyond Instagram's 60-second limit.
To merge different parts of several footages, watch the following video tutorial. The guide starts at 00:14.
Step 6. The next video specs could also affect video quality
1. Change frame rate to 30fps.
2. Increase a little bit the value of brightness.
There is no video uploading option available in Instagram desktop app and web page. To upload high quality video to Instagram, edit video through the tips above and then send the file to your mobile. You'd better not transfer the video via email. Use USB or file transfer software.
Besides converting videos, VideoProc is also able to perform some video editing tasks, including cutting, trimming, merging, splitting, deshaking, denoising, adding special effects, and more. The operation is really beginner-friendly. Moreover, it can digitize DVDs, convert audios, download videos and music from 1000+ sites, and record screen and webcam.