To prevent corruption from destroying the entire video, many devices will split up the video into multiple short video clips, such as GoPro and some online meeting or e-learning platforms. Also, you may shoot many short videos in your life and want to combine them into a decent vlog.
Whatever your trouble is, you come here for the same reason – find a free video joiner to combine separated videos into one file. Instead of simply piling dozens of recommendations, here we provide an in-depth review of 10 video merger software, online tools, and apps. Check it out.
Free Video Joiners Overview
Our Picks for Best Free Video Mergers Are:
- Best video merging software for PC: VideoProc Converter
- Windows media video joiner: Bandicut | Weeny Free Video Joiner | Photos
- Video joiner freeware for Mac: Shotcut | VLC
- Free video joiner online: Clideo | Kapwing
- MOV joiner for iPhone: iMovie
- Video merger app for Android: Video Merge
Tests on Video Joiners
The following radar chart is a rough comparison of some free video mergers for different platforms based on our test of combining two 1080p MP4 videos together.
What does the chart tell us?
VideoProc stands out when it comes to ultra fast video joining without re-encoding, while Shotcut and Video Merge compress the file most, with nearly 50% of the video size cut off. Besides, Bandicut (with High-Speed mode enabled) runs quite fast when combining files in the exact same parameters.
1. VideoProc Converter
Best as: The fastest video merger for Windows 11/10 and Mac
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Surely, merging videos can be done in both linear and non-linear video editing systems. But if you just want to put files together without extremely professional color grading or VFX adding, VideoProc Converter could be the ideal chance for you to shift into an easier and faster video joining process.
VideoProc Converter, a video merger editor software compatible with Windows (10) and macOS, provides you with two types of video merging options: merge video with or without re-encoding. Simply enable "Auto Copy" on the main interface and you will be surprised by the lightning video joining speed. Re-encoding wouldn't be that fast, but it outputs a far smaller file almost without quality loss. Note that video merging without re-encoding works only when choosing Merge under the Toolbox.
* "Best match" editing features inside this video merger: cut, split, video stabilization, video transcoding
- An easy video merger with "No re-encoding" video joining mode.
- Combine videos in MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, WMV, FLV, MPEG, and 370+ formats.
- Intuitive and flexible operation of the order of videos.
- Full GPU acceleration support gives large/4K video merging a big leg up.
- Various video settings to ensure high quality.
- Plus: a full set of video editing tools.
- It is a linear video editor.
Best as: Free video combiner utility
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Instead of being a comprehensive video editing tool, Bandicut is designed to serve as a dedicated video joiner and cutter utility, with three separate editing modes built in - Cut, Split, and Join. This free video merger allows you to drag and drop as many files as you want for putting together. Video joining can be done fast and lossless through High-Speed mode. Or you can join and re-encode video files with flexible output settings by using Encoding mode.
Note that the High-Speed mode in Bandicut video joiner is only accessible when all videos are exactly in the same FORMAT. Here format refers to all video parameters except for video length.
* "Best match" video editing features inside this video joiner: cut, split
- Good video joiner software that can be used for free.
- Modern and straightforward user interface.
- Provide both fast video joining process and transcoding mode.
- Max. frame rate is limited to 60.
- There is always a 5-second watermark clip stitched at the end of your video.
- High-Speed mode in the free version only supports AVI and MP4/MOV H.264 files. Video codec like HEVC and MPEG-4 are not supported.
3. Weeny Free Video Joiner
Best as: Video merging utility on Windows computers
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
As the name suggests, this is a totally free video joiner. It is a tiny program for Windows and puts less pressure on old or low-end PCs. It accepts a wide arrange of input formats so it's capable of merging MKV, AVI, FLV, MP4, WMV, VOB, etc. And it also lets you preview the original video clips before merging them.
- Super-easy for beginners.
- Flexible output settings for video codecs, bitrate, frame rate, and volume.
- Available for old Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.
- Can't reorganize the short videos loaded into it.
- No more other editing features.
4. Microsoft Photos
Best as: Free video merger on Windows 11/10
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐
Microsoft Photos on Windows 11/10 was originally designed for viewing photos and videos. Then the Microsoft team developed a full set of video editing features for it. Like iMovie on macOS, Microsoft Photos on Windows 11/10 is taken as a simple editor for beginners. As for merging videos together, it has two modes to finish the task – storyboard and timeline editing.
- Pre-installed and 100% free to use.
- Multiple features for further editing: rotate, crop, transition, text…
- Only work on Win 10 version 16299.0 or higher
Best as: Open-source video merger for Mac
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐
When people think video combiner software for Mac, the first one that comes to mind is very likely to be iMovie or Final Cut Pro X. Shotcut is not the only nor the best free video merger editor that can run on macOS. So why is it here?
Firstly, being an open-source tool, Shotcut performs well on various platforms, and macOS is no exception. Compared with some other video joiners, Shotcut runs smoothly and steadily. Files in nearly any formats and resolutions can be loaded for combining into a new one with barely loss of quality. If you are familiar with NLE timeline interface, Shotcut would be a simple video combiner option. Read our full review of Shotcut >
* "Best match" editing features inside this video merger: transitions, overylay
- A totally free video joiner without watermark.
- Flexible video encoding options.
- Toggle snapping makes video combining seamlessly.
- 4K video joining could be very slow.
- You can't merge videos in Shotcut without re-encoding, although nothing in parameters changes.
- The learning curve might be a little steep for beginners.
Best as: Cross-platform software to combine video clips
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐
VLC is mainly used for video playback and format conversion. But we found it surprisingly features some simple editing tools. Unlike other video editing freeware dealing with video frames, VLC is working on video parameters. It can combine MOV, MP4, AVI, and videos in mainstreams formats on both Windows and Mac. All you need to do is to add all the files in a special order, then it'll output one file that contains all the clips.
- Completely free on Windows 11/10 and Mac.
- Safe and simple to use.
- Cannot merge videos in different formats.
- Slow performance when merging long movies.
Best as: Free video joiner app for iPhone, iPad
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Is it still necessary to mention how popular iMovie is? This iPhone/iPad default video editing software must be on the list of most people's free video merger app list. Without extra download, you are allowed to fast combine video files recorded by your phone or imported from other devices. You can merge video files rapidly without re-encoding with iMovie, but do remember to remove transitions added by default. Read our full review of iMovie >
* "Best match" editing features inside this video merger: transitions
- Pre-installed video merger app on iOS 13.4 or later.
- Impressive yet easy to use transition effects.
- Combine and share videos from iMovie directly.
- Video upscaling, for example from 1080p to 4K, is not possible.
- Video files in Apple TV Videos app transferred from PC can't be loaded in iMovie for joining up.
- Auto crop video. Combining two 16:9 videos leads to a 1:1 output file, although the meta data reveals that it is still 16:9.
Best as: Free online 1080p MP4 video joiner service
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐
Clideo is an online video editing website that provides not only video merger, but also video cropper, video cutter, video compressor, etc. The refined user interface consists of 4 main parts - preview window, storyboard, crop option, and output options. Unlike most online tools, there are no annoying ads.
But better not use such online video merger when there are other choices, due to a long list of limits. Other than notorious privacy leak problems, our test reveals the truth: Clideo is more like an online 1080p MP4 video combiner, yet with such-and-such an error. 4K and videos in other formats are not accepted.
* "Best match" editing features inside this video merger: zoom & crop
- No need of any knowledge base. Very intuitive to use.
- Two crop options available - Fit with border; Zoom & Crop in 1:1, 16:9, 9:16 or 5:4.
- Painfully slow. It takes us 10 minutes to upload only 25% of a 9-second 1080p video (94MB).
- The final video size and format are not adjustable.
- You can't drag the playhead to locate frame in the timeline.
- Crossfade doesn't seem to work.
- Video merging always results in "Error: Something went wrong, please try again".
Best as: Simple and free online merger
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐
Kapwing is an online video editor with a full set of video editing features including merging videos and joining audio and video files together. Meanwhile, it allows you to add transitions, subtitles, and effects to the short clips before exporting. If you don't want to install any software on your computer, this editor worth a shot.
- No account registration required.
- No watermark in the free plan.
- Limits on video file size (500MB).
- Can't export HD 1080p nor 4K videos.
10. Video Merge
Best as: Free video merger app for Android
Ease of Use: ⭐⭐⭐
There are tons of free video combiner apps for Android, among which Video Merge is a good one used by more than one million users, with a pretty good rating - 4.7 out of 5. Besides its user-friendly interface, what make Video Merge unique and worth mentioning is the easy video joining mode selection. You are allowed to merge videos sequentially, and combine two videos for playing simultaneously - side by side or in up down style.
- Innovative video merging modes in an easy way - side by side, up and down.
- Provides immediate social media share options.
- 4K is not supported as output.
- Slow video merging process. Merging two videos (20 seconds in total) takes 40 minutes.
- Doesn't support multiple video merging. Combine only two clips at a time.
- You can't mix audio sometimes or even you can't merge video without adding an extra audio.
Video Merger/Joiner FAQs
1. Merge videos without re-encoding?
It is possible to merge videos without re-encoding by using video joiners like VideoProc Converter (with Auto Copy option), provided that the files you are going to combine are in the same video codec format, and there is no change in any media parameter, like video resolution, bit rate, frame rate, profile, level, etc.
Tips: Video merging without re-encoding, although not always advisable, is good to fast combine multiple short clips recorded by a single device, for example dashcam clips.
2. Merge videos without quality loss?
There are two types of video quality loss: visible and invisible to the naked eye. Merge videos without re-encoding can 100% remain every bit of your data, but at the cost of huge file size. While re-encoding leads to quality loss, which however can be slight and invisible to the naked eye, and reach the best balance between file size and quality.
Tips: Compared with hardware encoding chips in cameras, video joiner software excels in data recalculating with lower bit rate. If there are times that you need small files, try joining videos and then re-encoding.
3. What's the best video joiner to combine GIFs into a short video?
VideoProc Converter. You can combine GIFs into a video within 3 steps in it:
- Add GIFs to it and re-sequence them if necessary.
- Choose a video format for output.
- Check the box before Merge and export.
4. Does any simple video joiner have fade out and fade in features?
Most simple video joiners are leaner video editing software. If you want to add fade in/out effects between clips which is called transitions, you should turn to the non-linear video editor - VideoProc Vlogger . In addition to the footage transitions, you can also apply fade in/out effects to the audio tracks.