If you are going to purchase a DVD disc nowadays, you don't have to worry about how to transfer DVD to USB. Online stores like Walmart provide you with additional USB options when ordering digital media - $12.96 per copy for USB.
Then, what about your old DVD collections? Is it possible to copy DVD to USB flash drive by yourself? How to play a DVD movie on TV using USB? Follow the steps below to start your DVD to USB backup and playback.
Step 1. Make sure your player has USB port
"Can I use DVD ripper to copy from a DVD, download to a USB flash drive, and play on my TV?"
There are ways to make digital copies of DVD disc, like ripping DVD to Windows 10, converting DVD to iPhone, transferring DVD to NAS, etc. If you don't want to eat up much computer and mobile space, and there is no NAS server, then transferring DVD to USB would be the optimal option.
To copy DVD to USB flash drive, firstly you should make sure that there is USB port on your end media player device. Most TVs (HDTVs) have USB port, allowing you to playback media through flash drive. You may also copy DVD to USB for playing on cars.
Step 2. Download a DVD to USB converter
- To backup homemade DVDs, use free video transcoder HandBrake.
- To digitize both homemade and commercial DVDs, better choose professional DVD rippers like VideoProc, which is able to bypass copy protection schemes.
VideoProc is multimedia software with several handy tools built in, including a DVD ripper, a video converter, a YouTube downloader, and a screen/webcam recorder. Besides all that, there are some useful basic video editing settings for beginners, like cut, merge and video stabilization.
What platforms can VideoProc run on?
You can copy DVD to USB with VideoProc on both Windows and macOS computer. Both 32-bit and 64-bit systems of Windows 7 to 10 are supported. macOS needs to be Mac OS X Snow Leopard or higher. Transferring DVD to USB can be extremely fast with hardware acceleration enabled in VideoProc, if your CPU/GPU supports QSV, NVENC, or VCN.
What types of DVD can VideoProc backup to USB?
- Homemade DVDs
- 99-title DVDs with region codes, copy protections, etc.
- Workout DVDs
- Damaged DVDs
- ISO image and VIDEO TS folder
Which output format is recommended for DVD to USB?
- If saving space is your priority, rip DVD to MP4 for USB.
- Choose device directly to copy DVD to USB for playing on Apple TV, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic or LG TV.
- To maintain original quality, choose DVD Backup modes like Full Title Copy, Main Content Copy, Clone DVD to ISO Image, Clone DVD to VIDEO_TS Folder, etc.
Step 3. Figure out output formats for DVD to USB
Simply speaking, USB stores anything, like media files, docx files, photos, etc. To copy DVD to USB flash drive for playback later, you need to know what file formats are supported by the player device. Sometimes you also need to check the USB supported media type by a specific TV.
- Apple TV supports H.264 video in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov container formats.
- Roku TV supports H.264/HEVC in MP4, MOV, M4V, MKV and VP9 in WebM.
- Sony TV support USB input on TV in MP4, MPEG, WMV, MTS formats, etc.
- Samsung TV accepts DVD to USB in AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV, etc.
Step 4. Convert DVD to USB
Prepare a USB flash drive. If you have hundreds of or even thousands of DVD discs to backup, better purchase a large-storage USB flash drive, like say a 8TB external hard drive. Sometimes your mobile phone could be a temporary USB device if there is enough room. To transfer one or two DVD movies to USB, mobile phone is a good choice.
- Download and install VideoProc first, and then launch the software.
- Input your DVD into the disk drive and click DVD > Disc to load content in the software.
- Now move to the bottom part and choose the output format like MP4 H.264.
- Browse to select USB as the output folder.
- Press button RUN to start DVD to USB ripping.
The Bottom Line
Because of its long list of output formats supported (420+), except for ripping DVD to USB, VideoProc would be very useful if you need to transcode video files for playback on any devices. New device output options like iPhone 11 are always added in time for your convenience. Feel free to download VideoProc to have a try!
Disclaimer: We do not advocate downloading or converting authorized or copy-protected media content.