Summary: Wonder how to rip DVD to MP4 free on Windows 10 and Mac? Look no further. In this post, you're going to learn 8 easy ways to turn a DVD into an MP4 video file by using some beginner-friendly DVD to MP4 converter like VideoProc Converter.
While Netflix and YouTube might be your main channels for entertainment now, old-style DVD discs never disappear. If you have a box set or a ton of homemade or commercial DVDs, you'd better extract the DVD media content to save into MP4 or other digital formats for more flexible options of playback or just in case they get broken or lost.
When it comes to DVD backup, MP4 is always preferred as the first choice of the target format. Why is that? Simply put, MP4 is the most popular and compatible video format right now. Besides, converting a DVD to MP4 ensures the best balance between video quality and file size, which should cover most people's needs. But how to convert DVD to MP4 for free on Windows 10 or Mac? We find the 8 best ways for you.
- Part 1: Convert DVD to MP4 with VideoProc Converter
- Part 2: Convert DVD to MP4 with HandBrake
- Part 3: Convert DVD to MP4 with Freemake DVD Ripper
- Part 4: Convert DVD to MP4 with VLC
- Part 5: Convert DVD to MP4 with DVDFab
- Part 6: Convert DVD to MP4 with MakeMKV
- Part 7: Convert DVD to MP4 with DVDVideoSoft
- Part 8: Convert DVD to MP4 with Windows Media Player
- FAQs about DVD to MP4 Conversion
Part 1 - Convert DVD to MP4 with VideoProc Converter
The predecessor of VideoProc Converter is a DVD converter software. You can surely rely on VideoProc Converter for DVD to MP4 conversion on Windows 11/10/8/7 or Mac.
- It offers the fastest solution to convert a DVD on Windows 10 and macOS, making full use of hardware acceleration.
- It supports any DVDs, including 99-title, region-locked, Disney, the latest movie DVDs and workout DVDs.
- It can directly convert DVDs to MP4 H264, HEVC, ISO image, MPEG, MKV, AVI, iPhone, Android, YouTube, etc.
- It allows you to edit the DVD video such as to rotate, cut, crop, add subtitles, add watermark, and change speed.
- You can have a full control over the settings of codecs, frame rates, resolutions, aspect ratio, bit rate, and so on to balance quality and file size.
Furthermore, VideoProc Converter is a hardware-accelerated comprehensive video processing tool that allows you to tackle with media files like DVDs, videos, audios and YouTube links. You can also edit, compress, download and record videos at one go.
Download VideoProc Converter to Fast Convert DVD to MP4 Now!
How to Convert DVD to MP4 with VideoProc Converter
Step 1: Open VideoProc Converter and get into VideoProc - DVD center.
Step 2: Click DVD Disc to load the content.
Step 3: Move down to Target Format and choose MP4 h.264.
Step 4: Set an output folder and press the button RUN to copy DVD to computer.
Click below to upgrade to VideoProc Converter Lifetime License with 55% OFF discount coupon | $35.95
Part 2 - Convert DVD to MP4 with HandBrake
Handbrake is an FFmpeg-based open-source media converter. This free DVD ripper has hardly any features missing compared to commercial converters. Its 80s-style interface with difficult video jargons often put a rookie even off. However, the fact is you will be hard-pressed to find any free or paid converter more versatile and powerful converter than Handbrake.
Can Handbrake Convert DVD to MP4
Handbrake allows you to rip DVD or Blu-ray Discs into MP4 or MKV files for digital use. It offers a myriad of settings for output parameters including video/audio encoding modes, partition types, resolutions, bitrate, frame rate, languages, subtitles, filters, and more. Those options may easily get beginners baffled, but are very useful for experts who want full control over the output digital file.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 with Handbrake
Step 1: Choose the DVD file.
After launching Handbrake on our computer, it will automatically detect the DVD driver that is already installed on your computer. Click the target DVD driver on the section of Source Selection.
Step 2: Select the seasons you need to convert.
Go to the drop-down of Title. You are going to see many clips of different lengths. If you are holding a movie disc, then the clip that comes with the longest duration would be the main movie.
Step 3: Adjust the output settings.
- Go to the right of this panel, scroll down to find Normal on the section of Legacy, and select it. You can choose other presets as you like.
- Go to Output settings, and select MP4 as the output container.
- Click Filters. There you need to set Decomb for Deinterlace and Fast for Interlace Detection.
- Click Video, and set Constant Framerate.
Step 4: Click Browse to set a destination file folder. Click the green Start Encode button to start ripping the DVD to MP4.
Why Won't Handbrake Rip My DVD to MP4?
Check your discs at the first place. There shouldn't be any scratches or visible gray or Handbrake won't read the discs directly. If the error still exists, then the problem might be:
1. The DVD you are converting comes with copy protection.
Handbrake can't decode any encrypted DVDs or Blu-ray discs on its own. There are chances you can walk it through by installing the Libdvdcss file on your computer, but the effect is hard to be guaranteed. You are suggested to use a commercial DVD ripper to convert encrypted discs to MP4.
2. Your CPU or RAM is out of usage.
It is a long and labor-intensive process to decoding and encoding the large DVD movies with Handbrake. Our computer needs to assign as much as CPU resource to Handbrake to make sure it works properly. That is to say, don't load any additional tasks when using Handbrake to rip DVD to MP4, or the app would fail to work.
Part 3 - Convert DVD to MP4 with Freemake DVD Ripper
Freemake DVD Ripper, actually Freemake Video Converter, contains a free DVD ripper that is well-known to many people. It can extract original files from DVDs, and convert them to 20 more video formats. You can choose MP4 as the output format, or other formats that are compatible with iPhone, iPad, Android, Xbox, HDTV, USB, etc. Better still, it supports Blu-rays.
How to Rip DVD to MP4 with Freemake DVD Ripper
Step 1: Put your DVD into your DVD drive of computer.
Step 2: Download and launch the free DVD to MP4 ripper software on Windows 10.
Step 3: Choose the source DVD you want to convert.
Step 4: Select "to MP4" on the bottom.
Step 5: Customize the settings if needed, and press "Convert" to start ripping the DVD to MP4.
Part 4 - Convert DVD to MP4 with VLC
VLC Media Player is best known as a versatile multi-media player which basically can play almost all sorts of video and audio (DVD files, MOV, AVI, MP4, MKV, WMA, MP3, WAV, and many more) that on our computers without extra codecs installed. But few people know it's also an inclusive and robust video converter and DVD ripper that is capable to flawlessly convert DVD to MP4 on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Can VLC Convert DVD to MP4
VLC can convert unencrypted DVD, Blu-ray, Audio DVD, and SVCD/VCD to MP4, TS, WebMD formats in a relatively easy manner. It comes with full sets of controls on the generated video that allow users to adjust the encoding parameters, resolutions, filters, frame rate, etc.
Note: For Mac version of VLC, the interface and steps are quite different. If you are on macOS, learn how to convert DVD to MP4 on Mac in correct steps.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 with VLC
Step 1: Select the target DVD
Go to media > Convert/Save, and then choose Disc.
Click Browse to select the target Disc device
Step 2: Select the copy content
By default, the option of No disc menus should be ticked. You can untick that option to rip DVD with the menu.
Step 3: Convert DVD to MP4
Click Convert/Save in the bottom of the left corner to open up a new panel. In the section of Settings, you can find Profile. Select Video – H.265 + MP3(MP4), or H.264 + MP3(MP4) as the formats since you need MP4 output.
Step 4: Choose an easy to be found folder as the destination output file folder. Click Start and VLC will start to rip DVD to MP4.
How to Fix No Sound When Converting DVD to MP4 Using VLC?
1. Stick on the VLC default setting for output format (H.264/H.265 + MP3). The audio codec you select on VLC doesn't support the MP4 container. MP4 is not capable of supporting all sorts of audios. For example, it can't go with PCM, WMA, G.728, and partially support Vorbis and FLAC audio codec.
2. Make the original audio sample rate match the generated file. The generated MP4 video won't come with an audio stream if the sample rate setting for the audio file doesn't match the source information.
Part 5 - Rip a DVD to MP4 with DVDFab
DVDFab is a powerful and user-friendly software that enables users to rip DVDs to MP4 format in high quality. This software is packed with numerous features that allow for customization and control over the conversion process. Here's how to use DVDFab to convert your DVD or DVD ISO to MP4 on Windows 10.
Step 1: Install and Launch DVDFab.
Download and install DVDFab on your computer, and launch the software.
Step 2: Load the DVD.
Insert the DVD that you want to rip into your computer's DVD drive. Then, in DVDFab, select the 'Ripper' module from the top menu bar. Click the 'Add' button, and select the DVD you want to convert. Wait for the software to scan the DVD content.
Step 3: Select the MP4 Format.
DVDFab will convert a DVD to MP4 by default. But you can also choose MP4 as the output format.
Step 4: Customize the Settings
DVDFab also allows you to customize the output settings to your liking. You can choose the resolution, bit rate, and other parameters to optimize the video quality.
Step 5: Choose the Destination Folder.
Once you've customized the settings, select the destination folder where you want to save the converted video. Click the 'Start' button to begin the conversion process.
Step 6: Wait for the Conversion to Complete.
DVDFab will begin the DVD to MP4 conversion process. This can take a while, depending on the size of the DVD and your computer's processing speed. Once the process is complete, the software will notify you.
In conclusion, DVDFab is a good choice for ripping DVDs to MP4 format. With its user-friendly interface and powerful features, it's a great tool for anyone looking to convert their DVD collections to digital format.
Part 6 - Convert DVD to MP4 with MakeMKV
MakeMKV is one of the most popular DVD digitalizing tools in the market. It can instantly read and rip DVD and Blu-ray discs protected by the latest versions of AACS and BD+. It is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Moreover, its beta version is now free with all features included.
Can MakeMKV convert DVD to MP4
MakeMKV was born to DVD digitalization, but it only converts DVDs to MKV files which are not well supported by many players. If you want a better-supported MP4 copy of your DVD, then you have to re-convert it with other video converters or transcoders.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 with MakeMKV
MakeMKV is a light-weight and free DVD converter that reads and converts DVD quickly. But just like others, it takes much time in the converting process. Now follow the steps to convert DVD to MKV in 5 steps, and just wait for exported movie.
Step 1: Insert the DVD that you want to convert.
Step 2: Launch MakeMKV, and select the drive with the disc in it.
Step 3: Click the big disk button in the center of the UI, and the software will start to read the disc.
Step 4: Tick the title that you want to convert (usually the one in the biggest size), and choose an output folder.
Step 5: Hit Make MKV, and it will start the conversion.
MakeMKV preserves the best video quality, all video and audio tracks, and chapter information, and at the same time, the final video will remain th6e original size which a two-hour movie DVD will reach up to 5+GB. If you have limited storage, then you should consider some tools that can highly compress DVD videos.
Part 7 - Convert DVD to MP4 with DVDVideoSoft
The main products of DVDVideoSoft are YouTube converters. But the provider also has video and DVD converters. Free DVD Video Converter from its product line will help you convert DVDs and Blu-ray discs to MP4, AVI, MKV, PSP, iPod, iPhone, and more. It also lets you select the DVD title, language, and subtitle. But the program only supports parts of DVDs, say, homemade ones. If your DVDs are not copy-protected or region-coded, you can try DVDVideoSoft on your Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, or XP SP3.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 Using DVDVideoSoft
Step 1: Download Free DVD Video Converter from DVDVideoSoft's website. It requires installing .NET Framework 3.5/3.0/2.0 on your Windows PC.
Step 2: Make sure you have inserted your DVD into your DVD-ROM, and then click Browse on Free DVD Video Converter to select the input path of the DVD to load the DVD.
Step 3: Choose the title(s), language(s), and subtitles you need.
Note: You should check the main title of the DVD before converting it. Usually, it would be the longest one.
Step 4: Press Browse under Output file and choose the output location.
Step 5: Find MP4 under Formats. Or, you can choose an option in Presets, for example, AppleTV (H264; AAC), Sony PSP (MPEG4; AAC).
Step 6: Hit the Convert button on the lower part and start the fast DVD to MP4 conversion.
Part 8 - Convert DVD to MP4 with Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player, also called WMP, is a media player and media library utility on Windows 7/8.1/10. It enables Windows users to play, store and organize (including easy edits) video/audio files as well as images. It supports a wide range of media formats, such as MP4, AVI, WMV, MP3, M4A, FLAC, etc.
Can Windows Media Player Convert DVD to MP4
Windows Media Player can't convert DVD to MP4. All versions of WMP are not capable of converting DVD to MP4 due to the copy protection issue. On Windows 11/10, Microsoft removed the DVD playback utility from Windows Media Player. You are not allowed to play nor copy DVDs with Windows Media Player since then.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 with Windows Media Player
Since it's no way to convert DVD to MP4 with Windows Media Player, though you can find many so-called guides on how to convert DVD to MP4 with WMP, they usually end up with a tutorial on other software, or other functions of WMP, e.g. convert CD to MP3 on Windows 7.
DVD to MP4 Conversion FAQs
1. Is converting DVD to MP4 legal?
Generally speaking, backup any content with copyright for infringing purposes like commercial redistribution, whether you own it legally or not, is illegal. But when it comes to converting DVD to MP4 for personal use, things are different from country to country.
- United States: According to Title 17 of the United States Code, it is illegal to copy protected DVDs without the consent of owners. But there is no clear statement for non-commercial use. So if you really need to back up media, convert DVD to MP4 for personal use only.
- United Kingdom: People who own the DVD can legally backup the DVD.
- Japan: DVD backup became illegal on October 1, 2012.
- German: Circumventing the copy protection is illegal, but you are allowed to convert DVD to MP4 for personal use.
2. What is the fastest way to convert a DVD to MP4?
- Run the DVD to MP4 conversion on a high-end computer.
- An external DVD drive would help speed up your DVD backup a bit.
- Convert DVD to MP4 with GPU acceleration enabled to maximize the use of your engine.
- Use DVD to MP4 converter software that can deal with copy protections like CSS or 99 titles, or you will get stuck at the first decoding step forever. VideoProc Converter and WinX DVD Ripper are two good options.
Free Download VideoProc Converter to Convert DVD to MP4 on Windows 11/10 or Mac
3. Is there any DVD to MP4 converter online?
Unfortunately, there is no real DVD to MP4 converter online. That is to say, no online service can analyze and extract data and information from a disc. If you need to rip a DVD to MP4 or other video/audio format, you have to turn to a DVD ripper software like VideoProc Converter. It will help read DVD data, choose the right main title, and digitize or backup any DVD. But if you have DRM-free VOB files, you can convert them to MP4 files using a free online video converter.
4. How to Rip DVD to MP4 in the best quality?
- Convert DVD to MP4 HEVC instead of MP4 H.264. Same file size but better quality.
- Keep the original video resolution. Better not upscale or compress the video.
- Don't lower the frame rate unless you have to. Being fluency is another kind of good quality.
- Do some simple editing like stabilization, if your video turns out to be shaky.
- As to bitrate, VBR or ABR should be more preferred than CBR. And before reaching a certain level, the higher the value of the bitrate, the higher the quality of the video.
5. How long does it take to convert a DVD into MP4 H.264?
It depends. If you use a DVD to MP4 converter that supports hardware acceleration like VideoProc Converter, about 8 to 12 minutes should be enough to complete the backup of a 120-minute DVD. When using software encoding only, converting a 120-min DVD to MP4 on Intel Core i7-8700K might take you 20 to 40 minutes, or even longer.
Disclaimer: We do not advocate copying authorized or protected DVDs for commercial use.