If you're searching for how to compress WAV files, well, you've landed in the right place.
WAV files are always larger so that it takes up more storage space than other commonly used formats do. You may always receive the annoying "Your files are too powerful" alert. Therefore, before you save up the giant WAV files or try to upload them, here are some of the best WAV compressors to reduce your wav file size.
In the following parts, you will learn how to make your WAV file smaller using 5 different WAV compressors, including 1 WAV compressor software you can download for free and 4 online WAV file size reducers.
WAV File Compressor for Windows & Mac
VideoProc Converter is the best WAV compressor software that lets you reduce WAV files separately or in batch. Thanks to its new compression feature and interface, even a beginner can make WAV file smaller within a few clicks. Better yet, it's a powerful WAV file reducer and a multimedia processing tool that runs on both Windows and MAC, allowing you to compress or convert video and audios, edit 4K video recordings, and record screen and webcam, etc.
VideoProc Converter - WAV Compressor Free Download
- Shrink WAV files directly or by reducing bit rate, transcoding, downscaling, etc.
- Compress WAV files and 370+ other audio and video clips.
- Convert audio from/to WAV, OGG, MP3, and other prevalent and rare formats.
- Merge multiple audio files into one or trim off unnecessary audio.
- Easy layout and fast speed, allowing a beginner to compress WAV files in seconds.
- Batch WAV compression supported.
How to Compress WAV Files Separately or in Batch Without Quality Loss
After downloading and installing VideoProc Converter, you can launch the program and choose the Video menu from the welcome screen. Then follow the steps below to compress WAV files with VideoProc Converter.
- Add the WAV file(s) to the program by dragging and dropping.
- Click on the "Toolbox" option on the bottom, find and tap "Compress", and go to the Compress interface.
- You can drag the slide bar and compress the WAV video by percentage to get a smaller output file size, or input a target file size in the File Size column.
- Start compressing WAV file(s) by clicking the RUN button.
You can compress WAV files in 2 methods with VideoProc Converter.
- A: Compress the WAV files to high compressed formats.
- B: Change properties of the WAV files, including sample rate, bitrate, etc.
Head to the Music tab at the bottom of the interface. Compress WAV to MP3, OGG or any other audio format with a high compression ratio.
Click the gear icon named Option to set a lower sample rate or bitrate. You can set the sample rate to 16khz, and set the bitrate to 128 or 256 kbps, etc.
- Intuitive and easy-to-use interface.
- Significant file size reduction with no watermark or visible quality loss.
- Customizable parameter settings, including file format, codec, bit rate, etc.
- Low CPU usage and high compression speed with GPU acceleration.
- Available basic editing features, including cropping, cutting, trimming, adding effects, etc.
- Software installation is required.
Online WAV Compressors to Compress Small WAV Files
Many online WAV compressors allows you to compress WAV files without installing a third party plugin or program. Even though they set limits on the file numbers and size for both free and paid accounts, occasional users can still benefit from those web-based tools more or less. Let's have a look at the top 4 rated online WAV compressors.
8mb.video is actually a reliable file compressor for Discord. This online compressor can help easily compress your WAV file under 8MB, 50MB or 100MB. It is compatible with various browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. There are no annoying ads on the page, and you don't even have to register for an account to use all the features.
- Easy to use.
- Clean design with no disturbing ads on page.
- Three output size options available: 8MB, 50MB, and 100MB.
- Editing features to mute and trim.
- Limited upload file size (2GB).
- No advanced adjustments such as codec, bitrate, or even format, etc.
- Batch conversion is not supported.
- Time-consuming uploading and downloading process.
- Conversion speed will largely depend on your network conditions.
PS2PDF allows you to import a WAV file from a computer, Google Drive and Dropbox. It usually takes minutes to load up the audio file, but the specific time always depends on your network and file size. With it, you can reduce WAV file size by converting the audio format to MP3, OPUS, M4A, AAC, MMF, OGG, WMA, and FLAC.
- Customizable frame rate, sample rate, and channel information.
- Allow for batch compression.
- Run on the popular browser on Linux, Windows, and Mac.
- Larger WAV files often take a long time to be loaded and processed.
- Ads are everywhere which is annoying.
- High reliance on the network. Remind me many times "Lost the Communication with the Server"
CLIPCOPPRESS does not give you any process to adjust the audio codec or parameters. You just add the source WAV file, and it can do the rest for you automatically. If you are a beginner who knows little about audio, CLIPCOMPRESS might be your easiest option. As for the output file, it is still a WAV audio but comes with 90% of decreasing in size.
- Reduce the size of the WAV file in one click.
- A beginner web-based tool with a simple interface.
- No options to apply preferable settings.
- Can't compress the WAV file with a size beyond 50MB.
- Not allow compressing WAV files in batch.
Online-Audio-Converter looks similar to a desktop WAV compressor. It has a very straightforward layout which brings you no hidden features. There are 4 grades of output audio quality you can choose: Economy (64kbps), Standard (128kbps), Good (192 kbps), and Best (320kbps). The lower quality, to a large extent, implies the smaller WAV file size.
- Allow you to make advanced settings on bitrate, sample rate, and channels.
- A beginner web-based tool with a simple interface.
- Limited output options: MP3, WAV, iPhone ringtone, M4A, FLAC, OGG, MP2, and AMR.
- The uploading and compressing efficiency has a high reliance on the network.
Get to Know About WAV File and Audio Compression
Why is My WAV File So Big
1. WAV is a type of uncompressed audio format. WAV holds up almost all the audio information captured by the audio recording hardware. Other prevalent formats like MP3, AAC, OGG are compressed audio formats that are much more compact than WAV.
2. The overlarge sample rate. "The Audio Engineering Society recommends a 48 kHz sampling rate for most applications but gives recognition to 44.1 kHz for Compact Disc (CD) and other consumer uses, 32 kHz for transmission-related applications" from Wiki. In general words, the higher the sampling rate, the bigger the storage space it will take up.
How Do I Resize a WAV File
The easiest way for us to compress the WAV file is to convert the uncompressed WAV file to a high-compressed audio file. And the best target audio format we recommend is MP3 which is widely compatible, boasts a high compression ratio, but still retains good sound high quality. Another way to shrink the WAV file size is reducing the sample rate. For example, if your sampling rate is higher than 44100 Hz, you can lower down it without audio fidelity loss.
There are many common drawbacks of online WAV compressors, file size limitation, slow response speed, lack of privacy information protection, to name a few. Thus, it's better for you to use a decent offline WAV compressor like VideoProc Converter.
Besides being the best tool for WAV file compressing, other audio and video formats are well-supported in VideoProc Converter: you can reduce MP4 file size, compress MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, etc. This sought-after software is faster processing, user-friendly, and most importantly, it's 100% safe and clean. Plus, it enables you to merge multiple audio files into one, edit the track information including title, genre, artist, cover pictures, and many more. So give it a try to shrink your colossal WAV files.
How do I reduce the size of a WAV file?
The easiest way for us to compress the WAV file is to convert the uncompressed WAV file to a high-compressed audio file. And the best target audio format we recommend is MP3 which is widely compatible, boasts a high compression ratio, but still retains good sound quality. Another way to shrink the WAV file size is by reducing the sample rate.
How do I compress a WAV file to email?
Most mail services limit file size to 25MB, and there are several ways to compress for emailing.
- Compress your WAV file to MP3 or other high compressed formats.
- Lower the sample rate and bitrate of your WAV file.
- Cut out the unnecessary parts.
- Zip up your WAV file in a folder.
Why is my WAV file so big?
WAV is a type of uncompressed audio format. It stores the data more or less exactly how the recording hardware heard it. It's the lack of compression that makes the WAV file large. Besides, some WAV files use an overlarge sample rate. The higher the sampling rate, the bigger the storage space it will take up.