How to Brighten a Video on iPhone - Edit Video Brightness and Fix Dark iPhone Video in Low Light
At the mere mention of iPhone video brightening idea, the first response for most people may be: do it with a video editing app on iPhone. However, unlike photos, videos on iphone cannot be brightened up directly by default or even through iMovie. Even the filters or special effects provided by some popular video editor apps are not the right troubleshooters for dark videos.
Actually, to lighten a video and adjust colors on iPhone has many drawbacks. It is NOT a common approach working for everyone in every situation. To understand this, please read the texts below that will dig into respective pros and cons of "brightening video on iPhone" and "lightening iPhone video on PC or Mac". Hopefully, you can find the most proper way and best video editor app among the 4 ways such as to polish up your HD / 4K dark videos that are shot in low light without a hitch.
- Plan Ahead: How to Brighten an iPhone Video When Recording
- Method 1 - Brighten iPhone Video on Computer with VideoProc Converter [Most Recommended]
- Method 2 - Fix a Dark Video in Low Light on iPhone With iMovie
- Method 3 - Brighten and Edit a Video on iPhone With Magisto
- Method 4 - Brighten a Video on iPhone With Filmmaker Pro
Plan Ahead: How to Brighten an iPhone Video While Recording
If you can get thing right in pre-production, why leave it to post-production? Focus and exposure values are at the heart of brightening a video properly. There is no 1-tap magic to bring up the luminance value of your video, because when you change it, the brighter part will be overexposed. Follow these steps to properly brighten an iPhone video before or while recording:
Step 1. Tap on the screen the part you want to focus on, and you shall see a yellow box with a sun icon next to it.
Step 2. Tap on that sun icon and swipe it up and down to adjust the brightness. If it is not ideal, you can tap on the screen again to slightly change the focus point, and re-adjust the exposure level.
Step 3. If you want the video to have a same brightness level the entire time, go firmly press on the box, and you shall see an AE/AF LOCK on top of the screen. It will ensure that the camera will not automatically adjust focus point and exposure.
Bonus Tip: If you are shooting an iPhone video in an environment with constant light changing, or you want to combine several iPhone videos together, but find out that the clips have different brightness level, you will need professional color grading software to balance out the footage.
#1. Fix and Brighten a Dark iPhone Video on Computer [with Software]
To brighten an iPhone video does not have to edit the video on iPhone. Other than on iPhone with an iOS app, to lighten a dark video on your PC or Mac is a nice choice. Don't fret about moving video files back and fro between iPhone and computer. Transferring videos from iPhone to PC will only cost you several seconds if you choose the right software, such as DearMob iPhone Manager. So, just set your heart at rest and enjoy the benefits brought by it.
At lease, adjusting video brightness on a desktop or notebook has the advantages as follows:
1. The much larger screen size of computer is more eye-protective. The average desktop monitor diagonal size is 22.1 inches. While on the portable PC side, the average display diagonal size of portable PC is 16.1 inches. It is friendly to aged folks or people with poor eyesight.
2. Every detail of video can be seen more clearly and be edited more accurately without the need of zooming in. You can decide whether to brighten the shading and shadow.
3. Video editor on PC averagely has more powerful features than that on a mobile phone. By and large, mobile app is lightweight and has fewer features. Therefore, desktop-based video editor will be more function supportive, e.g.: supporting slow-motion videos, denoising videos and stabilizing videos.
4. It will be more speedy and convenient to batch-process your videos on a computer. Likewise, you can take full advantage of software and hardware acceleration to make video editing on the double.
5. Computer, containing hard drive, is a storage medium itself. After the videos being brightened and adjusted, they can be saved into the computer as the target. In addition, computer can be connected with external hard drive, USB flash drive, etc. Literarily, you don't have to worry about the memory space.
Since video brightening is a small and basic feature, it is unnecessary to resort to the most technical video editor, especially if you are somewhat new to the field.
VideoProc Converter is kind of one-click solution may be more ideal for the non-professional. It gives you full control over your videos, from video editing and adjusting to video conversion, compression and downloading.