There are a plethora of tools for changing the orientation of MP4 videos, such as VLC, online services, iPhone/Android apps, Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker, FFmpeg, to name just a few. Many claim they can rotate MP4 footages without re-encoding and quality loss. We are sorry to tell you it's unlikely that you will be able to rotate without re-encoding, that's why it takes half an hour or longer for some programs to process merely a one-minute clip. And the quality loss is unavoidable if you rotate and enlarge the image so that the original height fits the width, also file size changes. But with a solid MP4 video rotator like VideoProc, you'll get a much better result.
Tips: Use the Rotate Feature in the Toolbox
The toolbox also offers the Rotate option, as you may have noticed. With the rotation function under the toolbox tab, you can cut your MP4 video during the rotation process.
1. After you import the source MP4 video, click the Toolbox tab at the bottom of the Video window, and click the codec Option button to open the Rotate screen.
2. On the Rotate screen, drag the sliderbar to set the video starting/ending time and cut out unwanted parts of the MP4 video. On the right side of the screen, click Rotate Left or Rotate Right to alter the orientation of the MP4 clip. Click Done to close the screen and save the changes.
3. Click the RUN button to begin rotating the MP4 video without affecting the image quality for easier viewing.
• VideoProc won't affect the size of the video after rotation if you don't adjust video audio settings like bit rate, video length, etc. It allows you to compress large video size, including 8K/4K UHD footages, for storage saving and faster sharing to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
• Nearly original quality can be reserved after correcting the orientation, thanks to its High-Quality algorithm applied to video processing. You are also offered options to improve video quality by dragging the quality slide bar and setting video bit rate.
• The MP4 video rotating software includes features to crop, resize, and expand video (add black padding to two sides of the video), which becomes useful when the video dimensions are wrong. Moreover, it works as an easy video editor, enabling you to make further adjustment and editing, like trimming, stabilizing, distortion correction, adding watermark/subtitle/effects, and so on.
• Level-3 Hardware acceleration tech used by VideoProc speeds up the video rotation process dramatically - it's at least 5x faster than using free online MP4 video rotators (max 100MB file size) based on our tests, even re-encoding gets involved.
Gabriel is a technical editor with several years of writing experience. Gabriel covers video processing, post-production, hardware, Windows, Apple's Macs, iPhones, iPads, and all kinds of technology topics. He loves collecting cool gadgets and trying new things like virtual reality, drones, 8K TVs and the latest 4K games. He also has interests in reading, photography, climbing, scuba diving, and tennis.
Aiming to be the leading digital media company, Digiarty Software, Inc. is dedicated to providing professional and innovative multimedia software for all Windows and Mac users.