Video overlay is also called the picture-in-picture effect, which means overlaying a video on a video or overlaying a picture on another video and play them simultaneously. No matter you want to live stream your game highlights, compare two video clips that shot at different time, or record an online course to show your screen and face at the same time, you'll need an overlay maker to create an amazing overlay video in an easy way.
If you're looking for the best video overlay software, stop searching and read this article below. We've tested more than 20 overlay creators and selected 9 best video overlay software for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android users. Please keep reading and choose the tool that is right for your skill level.
6 Best Video Overlay Software for Windows & Mac
1. VideoProc Vlogger
Platform: Win & Mac
Developed by a young yet talented team, VideoProc Vlogger caught my attention when I tried it for the first time. You'll be amazed by its simple interface, quick processing speed, and abundant features. It's an ultimate video editing tool for both Windows and Mac computer, and it's equipped with a large amount of basic as well as advanced video editing features. Let's check some main features of this overlay maker:
- Overlay feature: It supports making an overlay video within several steps, and you can customize the size and position of the overlay object.
- 100% Safe & secure: VideoProc Vlogger will never access your uploaded files, and it has no bundled ware or ads.
- Hardware acceleration: 47x real-time faster video processing speed makes it fast and smooth to handle any large media files without lagging.
- Formats supported: you can upload media files of different formats like JPG, PNG, MP4, MOV, MP3, HEVC, H.264, and more.
Before the start, please download and install VideoProc Vlogger to your PC or Mac. Then follow the steps below to make an overlay video with ease.
Find the Media Library and click the "Add Video" or "Add Picture" icon to upload videos and pictures here. You can also upload your music, picture, photos, GIFs, and soundtrack here.Step 2. Add video files to the timeline.
Drag and drop the videos and pictures to the timeline.
Drag the video you want to show as the background to the Video Track, and drag another video or picture to the Overlay Track.Step 3. Adjust the position and customize the size of your videos.
Then you can select the video on the timeline and then click the Layout Rectangle (No.1 in the screenshot). Then you can set its color, position, size, overlay duration, play speed, etc.
Preview this overlay video and then click the Export icon to export this overlay video.Step 4. Export the picture in picture video.
Set the parameters like file name, video format, video quality, video codec, export folder, and more. Click the Start button to export the overlay video.
Price: Starts at 23.99 per month
Platform: Win, Mac & Linux
Used by 5.5 million users all over the world, Lightworks has helped many users bring their videos to life. Lightworks is a full-featured yet free video overlay software that goes compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.
With Lightworks, you have access to make both basic and advanced editing works including primary and secondary color grading, multi-camera editing, generating VFX effects, quickly creating 2D/3D text effects, etc. Thanks to the support of multiple video/audio tracks, it lets you add video and picture overly in an easy manner. What's better? All these features don't cost you a dime.Pros:
- The free version comes with all the bells and wrestles for adding video overlay.
- Fast rendering speed.
- The interface is simple but not straightforward enough for beginners to master.
- It's UI is different from most NLE editing software.
- The free account can only export video in MPEG4 H.264 formats.
- Have to upgrade to the paid version to get HD, 1080P or 4K output.
We don't expect much from a built-in and free editing software, but we must agree iMovie is a nice surprise. It is well organized and easy for any level of users to master. iMovie lets you trim, cut, merge, rotate videos, and make other basic edits. As for advanced editing features, iMovie enables you to add chroma keys, put text overlays, export 4K ultra-high resolution videos.
A major plus is it comes with dozens of templates and transitions for fast creating eye-catching content. Though it supports two video tracks at most, that's enough if all you need is adding one video to another video.Pros:
- Free of charge.
- Support to edit 4K ultra high-resolution videos.
- It's the epitome of simple
- Not support multiple layers.
- Lack the support of GIF files.
- Some important options are hidden in the menu.
4. Davinci Resolve
Davinci Resolve is a cross-platform and all-in-on video overlay software that works on recent Windows, Mac, and Linux. It has a relatively user-friendly interface when considering its wide range of editing options, or comparing to the said Adobe Premiere.
This feature-rich picture in picture video doesn't come with limits in audio or video layers which means you can overlay whatever quantities of videos and images on any positions of videos. One of my favorite things about DaVinci Resolve is the support of motion track. With it, you can put a video overlay into a movie where the frame moves and the size changes.Pros:
- Free and cross-platform.
- Robust color grading toolsets.
- Motion tracks.
- Add video, image, and text overlay to the video.
- The steep learning curve for beginners.
- High CPU and GPU usage.
- Limited import and output formats.
As an impressive video overlay editing tool, Shotcut is an open-source, free, and cross-platform video editor. It supports 4k resolution, support for the latest audio, video, and image formats like BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TIFF, WebP, MP4, MOV, WEBM, WMV and more. You can add overlay to video within simple steps, and it offers a lot of amazing filters to make your videos more attractive.Pros:
- Support 4k resolution.
- Can run as a portable app from external drive.
- Interface can make users confused.
6. Premiere Pro
For those professional video editors, Premiere Pro is an excellent video overlay software around the world. Premiere Pro is a professional NLE video editing program with a plethora of editing features that you can easily start to feel overwhelmed. It lets you add pictures, audio, text, and video in prevalent formats. Most importantly, it enables you to any number of video and audio tracks, thus you can overlay multiple videos and pictures in premiere pro without hassles.
- Flexible change the position of one video on another.
- Multiple video and audio tracks.
- High cost: $20.99/month.
- Slow response when running on ordinary computers.
- A steep learning curve.
2 Best Video Overlay Software for Android & iOS
There isn't a built-in picture in picture video editor that can be found on either Android or iPhone. Therefore you have to rely on third-party apps to get the job done. No like on a computer where you can find lots of free video editing software, the options given by mobile phones are much fewer.
No worry, however, as we have found an easy yet powerful video overlay application – KineMaster. This multi-functional video editor goes compatible with both iPhone and Android, allowing beginners to put a video on the center, corner, or any positions on another video.
- Allows you to create 6GB videos for free.
- Instantly share on social media.
- Online stock sound and stickers.
- Only allows you to create 16:9, 9:16, and 1:1 video.
- The free account can't export video in HD or UHD 4K resolution.
- Consume a lot of power.
2. Adobe Premiere Rush
Adobe Premiere Rush is also an option to when you want an overlay maker for iPhone or Android devices. With its awesome features like speed changing, motion graphics, audio editing, color correction, build-in templates, and more, you can make an overlay video within simple steps.
Also, Adobe Premiere Rush supports capturing and editing in 4k resolution on your computer, and you can continue editing on your phone. Try this overlay creator to make an overlay video on your iPhone or Android devices.
Best Online Video Overlay Software
If you are looking to put a video on top of another short clip, there are a few free online PiP video editors that you can utilize. There I want to introduce my favorite web-based application – Kapwing. It is nitty-designed, easy-to-use while still boasts basic editing features. With it, you can add text, image, and video overlays on both videos and static pictures in a few moves of your mouse.
- Can add a video by pasting the URL link.
- The interface is very straightforward.
- High reliance on the network.
- The maximum size you can export is 1920px.
- Can't generate video in MKV, MOV, and many popular formats.
The Bottom Line
Those are the 9 best video overlay software we selected and you can choose one based on your editing level. If you are a professional video editor and want to make a masterpiece, Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve are great tools. If you are a beginner or novice in video editing, try VideoProc Vlogger and it won't let you down!