Having to remove watermark from video can be a real pain, but we've all been there. You've invested hours upon hours into editing a video by using a so-called free video editing software. However, when you export, this "freeware" reminds you only a paid account can save a watermark-free outcome. You've already purchased a video from the online stock but miss the original file as well as the password to your account. Such scenarios abound in life, then is there any easy way you can follow to erase the watermark?
Can You Remove a Watermark from a Video?
Yes, in a short answer. The truth is it's fairly easy to detract a small watermark from a stationary background. However, things can really start to get tricky when there's a need to remove moving watermarks from a busy background. To help you target different demands in the easiest way possible, we put together 11 different methods to remove watermarks in this post, and the majority of them don't ask for a dime. Sounds too good to be true? Keep reading.
Method 1: Crop to Delete Logo
- Best for: videos with logos on the corners.
- Explain: Cropping small watermarks on the borders of video won't ruin the composition of the picture.
- Recommend tool: VideoProc – it crops your video visibly and won't bring the quality loss.
Use VideoProc to Erase Watermarks from MP4/MKV Video in 4 ways
- Add/remove watermarks to/from MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, and other 420+ videos.
- An intuitive interface allows you to delete logos in one click.
- No visible quality loss thanks to the implementation of the high-quality engine.
- A complete video editing toolkit: trim, cut, crop, watermark, subtitles, and rotate, etc.
- Fast response speed even on poor computer thanks to the support of level-3 GPU acceleration technology.
How to Get Rid of a Watermark by Cropping?
1. Add the video that comes with a watermark.
After download and install VideoProc on your PC or Mac, launch it up.
Click Video on the main interface, select + Video to add the existing video clip on your computer to the app. Or drag and drop the clip(s) directly.
2. Enable the crop feature.
Press Crop and check the box of Enable crop to activate the cropping feature of VideoProc.
Drag the box that appears on the Original windows to keep the partial with watermark outside of the selected range.
3. Start to crop out the watermark.
Click Done and press Run. VideoProc starts to remove the watermark by cropping.
Method 2: Record the Movie to Remove Watermark
- Best for: videos made by some editing apps that are branded with big logos.
- Explain: Some video editing apps allow you to edit video for free, however, requiring you to pay to remove the watermark that appears on the generated clip. These logos are usually put in the middle of the video. It's hard to delete them without damaging the original frames. But luckily, when you preview the video, chances are there won't be any annoying logo. In this case, you can record the screen while previewing the clip to remove the watermark.
- Recommend tool: VideoProc – Its built-in screen recorder enables you to customize the recording area and record the video in a favored resolution.
How to Remove Watermarks on a Rendered Video by Recording?
1. Acquire the built-in screen recorder tool.
Free download and install VideoProc on your pc or mac, and open it up. Click on Recorder and press Screen.
2. Set the recording area.
Adjust the box that shows on the screen with your mouse to set the recording area. Once you confirmed the preview windows of your video editor app is get covered, click OK.
3. Record the watermark free video.
Click Rec, and preview the video that you just made. VideoProc will start to record the screen in 5 seconds. Click on Stop when the video ends.
Note: A raft of video editors preview videos at a low resolution for ensuring smooth playback on less powerful machines. In this case, the watermark free video captured by the screen recorder might be pretty noisy with visible artifacts.
Method 3: Add Custom Watermark as Replacement
- Best for: delete discrete watermarks without loss frames.
- Explain: If the original watermark put on your video is small and you don't want to lose any frames, the fastest solution is replacing the watermark with a larger picture logo.
- Recommend tool: VideoProc – It enables you to add timecode/picture/text watermark in one click.
How to Replace the Watermark by Adding Customized Logo?
1. Add watermark.
Firstly, you should have VideoProc installed on your PC. Launch it up and load your video. Once you import the video to VideoProc. Click on Watermark and tick Enable Watermark on the new panel. You then tick Text/Picture/Timecode to add different types of logos.
2. Adjust the watermark.
Move the cursor on the slider left/right to decrease/increase the transparency of your logo.
Change the value of Left/Right/Top/Bottom to fine-tune the position of your watermark to cover the original logo completely. Alternatively, move the watermark box that is shown on the preview windows to change size and position directly.
3. Export the video with a new watermark.
Press Done and hit Run. VideoProc takes seconds to replace the watermark with your logo.
Method 4: Convert Softcode Subtitles
- Best for: videos with softcoded subs as watermarks.
- Explain: Have you ever noticed some watermarks are shown when playing them on specific devices but disappear when playing on a few apps? This type of watermarks on movies are not images, but some removable softcode subs.
- Recommend tool: VideoProc – It's build-in converter supports to add or remove softcoded subtitles in seconds.
How to Erase Watermark by Converting Video?
1. Uncheck Subtitles.
After installing VideoProc on your computer, and loading the video. Click Subtitles and select Disable Subtitle.
2. Export the video.
Hit Run. You will then be given a video without a watermark.
Method 5: Add Text Layer as Replacement
- Best for: videos with small but very prominent watermarks.
- Explain: You can add a text layer to replace the existing text watermark. This solution is very similar to method 3 but more flexible. You can change the displayed texts in different sections of the video.
- Recommend tool: Windows Movie Maker or other NLE video editor that supports text Layer.
How to Remove Watermark from Video Using Windows Movie Maker?
1. Get Windows Movie Maker on your Windows.
You should be able to get Windows Movie Maker on the startup menu if you are running Windows 7 or earlier windows system. Otherwise, you have to manually get Windows Movie Maker installed on windows 8/10.
2. Add videos to Movie Maker.
Once you have Windows Movie Maker download and installed on your Windows PC, click on Add Video and photos to import the video with a watermark that you want to erase.
3. Enable the caption feature.
Click on Caption to get access to the text box on the preview windows. Click the text box and enter the text content.
4. Adjust the text properties.
Change the duration of the added caption. Generally, the duration of the text should be the total length of the entire clip.
By adjusting the properties on Font, Paragraph, and Outline size/Color tab to set how the text appears on your videos.
5. Add text layer to the video to replace the watermark.
After making sure the original logo is perfectly covered with the text layer, click on Home > Save movie and choose the desired output formats, and click Save.
Method 6: Add Picture Overlay
- Best for: videos with very clear picture watermarks.
- Explain: Overlying an image on the watermark is a handy solution.
- Recommend tool: iMovie (Mac) or other video editing apps that support the image layer.
How to Remove Watermark from Video with iMovie?
1. Add pictures.
Drag the prepared PNG or JPG image to the media pool of iMovie. Drag and place it over the video track.
2. Adjust the picture.
Select the image on the timeline. Click on Video overlay settings on the preview window, and from the contextual menu, choose picture-in-picture.
3. Apply the cropping effect.
Click on the cropping icon, and select Fit. After that, you can drag the border of the image to resize and reposition it. After you cover the entire watermark with the images, click on the Share button.
4. Save the video.
Enter descriptions, and set proper quality, resolution as well as compress mode, click Next. On the new panel, set up the folder name and path and then click on Save.
Method 7: Blur the Watermark
- Best for: some homemade videos or those come with 720P or even lower resolution.
- Explain: The destruction of the sharpness of a low-quality original video is negligible when removing the watermark by blurring. And among the many ways to get there, applying a mosaic and adding the Gaussian blur filter is most frequently used.
- Recommend tool: VSDC free video editor – The latest version comes with a powerful DeLogo filter.
How to Blur a Watermark with VSDC free video editor?
1. Create a new project.
Right-click on the icon of VSDC free video editor to open it up. Choose New Project to create a new media project.
Click the add video icon above the black preview window, choose your video and click OK.
2. Apply the DeLogo filter.
Go to the Video Editor tab and choose Filters on the drop-down video effects. Click on DeLogo.
3. Set the area of the logo.
A pixelated rectangle-shaped area now appears in the center of the scene, you can drag to move its position so it is above the watermark. You can also change its size to match the logo.
4. DeLogo filter settings.
Click Preset to select one from Pixelate, Box blur, Les blur, Mosaic, and Gaussian blur as the preset. You can try each one by one to see the result. Besides, you can increase the value of Level to enhance the intensity of the DeLogo filter.
5. Export the project with the right format.
Click on Export project, and select a media device used for playing the video. After that, click on Export project.
Method 8: Use Free Online Watermark Removal Tool
- Best for: short MP4 videos with a featureless area around its watermark.
- Explain: If you don't want to install any third-party software on your computer to remove watermarks from your video, you may consider using an online watermark removal tool. The majority of them are easy to use.
- Recommend tool: Apowersoft – Free and web-based.
How to Remove Watermark from MP4 Video Online Free?
1. Import the Video to the online watermark remover.
Tap on Remove Watermark from Video to load up the source video to Apowersoft. This process may take minutes to hours depending on your network environment and file size. You are advised to reload the video instead of waiting if the uploading progress bar got stuck at 95%+.
2. Set the area of the watermark.
Once the video successfully loaded, you will then be given a box. You need to drag and move it until it perfectly fits the watermark.
3. Get the watermark-free MP4 clip.
Click on Erase. Apowersoft starts to erase the video. Once everything ends, you can hit Download videos to acquire the outcome.
Method 9: Take Android Video Watermark Eraser
- Best for: videos with monochromatic watermarks on Android devices.
- Explain: Some short videos downloaded from Android devices come with transparent or monochromatic logos. Instead of turning to desktop software, a mobile app can address it out fast with ease.
- Recommend tool: Video Eraser - Remove Watermark from Video. It has a very clean interface.
How Do I Remove the Watermark from a Video on Android?
1. Download the watermark eraser on your phone.
Go to the Google Player App Store. Enter Video Eraser - Remove Watermark from Video on the search bar to find the app, and have it installed on your Samnang, Huawei, or other android phones.
2. Remove the watermark from the video.
Click on Remove watermark from the video once you open up the application. Add the source video to the app. Click on the blank area to add a rectangle, and then you move and adjust it until it overlays the entire watermark.
3. Save the video.
Tap Done to save the video that already gets rid of the watermark on your phone.
Method 10: Remove Moving Watermark with DaVinci Resolve 16
- Best for: videos with one or many moving watermarks on its center or corners.
- Explain: If your video comes with moving watermarks or some large brand pictures in the center, then you have to rely on advanced video editing software that enables motion tracking.
- Recommend tool: DaVinci Resolve 16 – It supports motion tracking and can adaptively blend the data from the surrounding pixels.
How to Remove Moving Watermark with Davinci Resolve？
1. Create a new project
Go to the official site of DaVinci Resolve to get the install packages. Follow the shown instruction to have it installed on your computer. Click the icon to launch it up. Click on Create New Project, and then enter its name. After that, you click on Create.
2. Drag the video to the timeline.
Right-click on the media pool > choose Import media, select the video with moving watermark, and click Open to import it to DaVinci Resolve.
3. Add a new node.
Drag the clip to the timeline, and then you come over to the color page. Press Alt+S hotkey to create a new node.
4. Separate the frame.
Drag the playhead to the start of the clip. Press the power window, and choose a shape to add it to the clip. There I use the circle shape.
5. Adjust the power windows.
Drag the corner of the chosen power windows shape so the inner shape is roughly the size of the watermark. Drag its center to cover the watermark in the frame.
6. Track the watermark.
Tab Track and press Track forward. DaVinci Resolve starts to track forward. Note: make sure the play head is at the start of the clip.
7. Remove the watermark.
Hit Library, scroll down to find Object Removal, and click and drag it over the second node that we just created. Click on Scene Analysis to let DaVinci Resolve begin analyzing the selective frame and the around background.
8. Get avoid of the grey lump.
You may find the mask you just create turns to a grey lump after analyses. (You can skip to the next step if everything goes fine.) Scroll down the setting menu and click on Build Clean Plate.
9. Deliver the video.
Click Delivery to enter the delivery page. Choose the desired output formats and hit Start Render.
Method 11: Erase Watermark by Using Premiere Pro
- Best for: a video has a prominent watermark in the center.
- Explain: Some watermarks are placed over the details of the videos, and it becomes very hard to clone a portion of the frames around the watermarks. Frankly, sometimes you can't perfectly remove these types of watermarks even with some of the most powerful and expensive video editing software, as like, Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro.
- Recommend tool: Premiere Pro – It comes with powerful tracking and a powerful median effect.
How to Remove Watermark from Video Using Adobe Premiere?
1. Add videos to Adobe Premiere
Click New Project and hit OK. Click File and choose import to add the video that doesn't need a watermark to Premiere. Drag it to the timeline.
2. Choose the median effect
Go to the Effects tab, enter median on the search box. Click Median and drag it over the clip that was just added to the timeline.
3. Adjust properties of Mask.
Go to the Effect Control tab and scroll down to find Median. Once you click the ellipse or rectangle shape, you would gain a selective box on the preview windows. Drag the border to reposition and resize so it can cover the watermark.
Tips: you can use Pen tools to make a precise mask.
4. Increase the Radium value.
Increase the Radium value until you get the desired result.
This solution doesn't seem to be complex. However, it may blast up the CPU and memory usage rate. It's definitely a big challenge to your computer.
5. Export the video without a watermark.
Navigate to the top menu box and press File, click on Export > Media. This will lead you to the Export Settings panel. Hit Export after you choose the needed format and resolution.
Is it illegal to remove a watermark from a video?
The original author owns the copyright. This doesn't matter whether the video is watermarked or not. And though a watermark itself is not a copyright, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) makes it illegal to remove a watermark without the approval of the original creator.
Therefore, the answer depends on whether you are authorized to delete the watermark or not. This also explains why it is accepted to remove a watermark applied by some commercial software on your own work.
How to remove KineMaster watermark free 2020 legally?
In an Android device, you can easily remove KineMaster watermark-free. All you have to do is adding any of the Muserk music tracks from the KineMaster store, and then sharing the content on YouTube.
How to remove watermark without cropping?
There are several ways to remove watermark without cropping, for instance, replacing with text/images/watermarks, adding Gaussian blur, getting covered with mosaics, applying DeLogo filters, adding medium effects. This post covers 10 no-cropping ways.
How to remove watermark without blur?
If the watermark interferes with the view of the main objects of videos, then replacing the watermark by adding up a background mask is a good way out. Suppose the watermark is small and discrete, you can simply crop it out with VideoProc.