Since its debut in 2017, TikTok knew how to work with the social media growth playbook and soon made itself one of the video-sharing giant apps, penetrating 1 billion monthly active users at present. To catch up with its rivals and cover more needs of users, TikTok keeps updating its upload rules and starts to support longer videos (up to 10 minutes) this year.
However, it's hard to explain TikTok video size in one word because it varies on iOS, Android, and desktop. In this post, we'll reveal everything about TikTok size, including TikTok video file size, maximum video length, dimensions/resolution, aspect ratio, and file type. Let's begin.
TikTok Video Size Required on App Version
It's hard to say that TikTok brings short-form vertical videos to us or short vertical videos take over TikTok, but they have affected our ways of viewing for sure. TikTok displays vertical (or portrait) videos in full screen and thus makes them more immersive. On top of that, there are many more requirements for uploading videos to the mobile app of TikTok. Check them now.
- Video Aspect Ratio: The standard aspect ratio for TikTok video is 9:16. 1:1 and 16:9 videos are also allowed but they won't fit the full screen.
- Video Dimensions: Videos for TikTok app should be 1080×1920 for the best result. Vertical videos are recommended and TikTok will add black bars to horizontal videos.
- Maximum video length: The latest TikTok app supports videos up to 10 minutes when uploading from local gallery and up to 3 minutes for video capturing.
- File Size: TikTok for iOS supports videos up to 278.6MB, while the maximum file size of a TikTok video on Android smartphone is only 72MB.
- Video Format: MP4, MOV (H.264)
TikTok Video Size Required on Web Version
ByteDance released the web version of TikTok in 2021. Despite the larger screen of the desktop, the web version of TikTok displays videos in the same way as its mobile version. But it's not exactly a copy and there are some differences in TikTok video size as follows.
- Video Aspect Ratio: 9:16 is the recommended aspect ratio on TikTok. Videos at 1:1 or 16:9 will be presented with black bars.
- Video Dimensions: 720×1280 or higher. But note that, videos of higher resolutions, e.g. 4K, will be compressed by TikTok, and thus may not deliver an ideal visual experience like the original video.
- Maximum video length: TikTok allows longer videos, but this option hasn't been rolled out on its web version. The maximum duration of a video is 3 minutes on the desktop.
- File Size: The web version of TikTok allows uploading videos under 1GB from your PC and Mac.
- Video Format: MP4 (H.264), WebM (VP8)
TikTok Videos Size for Ads
TikTok, like YouTube and Instagram Reels, allows users to generate more impressions, traffic, and sales for their brands and products by advertising. TikTok video ads come in two types – Standard and News Feed, which are composed of different elements.
Standard ads feature video creative, ad display image, brand name, and ad description, while the other lacks display images. Whichever you use, there are videos to cope with. Now check the detailed comparison of video size and other specs for TikTok standard ads and news feed ads.
|TikTok Standard Ads||TikTok News Feed Ads|
9:16, 1:1, 16:9
540×960, 640×640, 960×540, and higher
Max File Size
|MP4, MOV, MPEG, 3GP, AVI||MP4, MOV, MPEG, 3GP|
How to Optimize TikTok Video Size and Other Specs
With a clear overview of supported TikTok video size, now you can use VideoProc Converter AI to modify your video accordingly. No matter you want to upload videos via TikTok app or its web version, share short vlogs or long videos, post common videos or ads on TikTok, this program could be your best assistant.
VideoProc Converter AI is lightweight, intuitive, and easy to use. It provides comprehensive solutions to convert, edit, compress, and resize any video for TikTok with ease, for instance, random clips in your iPhone/Android, 4K videos at high FPS from DSLRs/GoPro/DJI, large/long movies, landscape/portrait videos, and files in MKV, FLV, AVI, and 420+ formats.
VideoProc Converter AI - Make Video Fit TikTok Better
- Easily change video aspect ratio into 9:16, 1:1, 16:9, and more.
- Preset and custom resolution for TikTok HD videos and ads videos.
- Convert all videos to TikTok-friendly format in one click.
- Compress large/4K/HD videos for TikTok with the best visual quality.
- TikTok video editing toolkit: cut, crop, rotate, flip, merge, add texts, etc.
Note: The Windows version now supports AI-powered Super Resolution, Frame Interpolation, and Stabilization to enhance video and image quality. These AI features are not yet available in the Mac version but will be coming soon.
Free download and install VideoProc Converter AI on your computer. Open VideoProc Converter AI. Choose "Video" in the main UI, drag and drop the video file into it, and you can optimize TikTok video size with the instructions below.
1. Resize Video for TikTok
Click "Codec Option". Then you can change the video resolution and aspect ratio. For TikTok, we recommend you choose Custom in the resolution option and input 1920×1080 or change video aspect ratio to 9:16. Click "Done" to close the panel.
2. Cut Video Exceeding the Maximum Length of TikTok Video
Click "Cut" in the editing toolbar. Drag the green knobs to adjust the duration of the video, then hit "Cut" to remove redundant parts from your TikTok video. Click "Done" to save the changes.
3. Turn Horizontal TikTok Video to Vertical
Click "Rotate" in the editing toolbar, then rotate it leftward or rightward to make a landscape video into a portrait. Click "Done". Also, you can fulfill this task with the video cropper in VideoProc Converter AI.
4. Compress Oversized Video
Click "Codec Option". Switch "Auto Calculate" to "Manual", then decrease the target bitrate, and you'll see the estimated file size shrink. Alternatively, you can simply drag the slider leftward under "Quality" to make it fit the required TikTok size.
5. Convert Video to TikTok-friendly Format
The universal format container and codec for TikTok videos is MP4 H.264, you can find this format in the "Video" option at the bottom or in "Target Format".
Finally, choose an output folder and hit the "RUN" button to export the video. Now you can upload it to TikTok and see it fit the screen of TikTok.
Frequently Asked Questions about TikTok Video Size
Does vertical video do better on TikTok?
The vast majority of videos on TikTok are vertical. When we swipe to browse videos, we can watch vertical/portrait videos on full screen without turning the phone, which brings an immersive experience. In this way, we could say they perform better on TikTok than horizontal or square videos.
How do you make a video full screen on TikTok?
TikTok plays 9:16 videos on full screen, so you can make your video at such aspect ratio by rotating horizontal video to vertical or adding background to the top and bottom sections of the video.
Is TikTok getting 10-minute videos?
Yes. If you update TikTok, you'll receive a notification that you can upload videos up to 10 minutes long from your device.
Can you upload 4K to TikTok?
Yes, but TikTok will compress 4K (YUV 4:2:0) to 1080p (YUV 4:2:2) and cause severe quality loss. To get HD video on TikTok, it's better to downscale 4K to HD 1080p with VideoProc Converter AI for it has a better compression method than TikTok.