Over 8 billion videos or 100 million hours of video are uploaded and watched on Facebook every day, making video continues to be one of the most popular post types on this social media platform.
However, uploading and sending videos to Facebook is still a challenge, because Facebook has strict video requirements that all members must follow. If you have a huge video file that amounted to a bunch of gigabytes, your video may not be uploaded to Facebook.
Luckily, you don't have to worry. This article's gathered 5 best ways to help you compress video for Facebook with step by step tutorials.
Why You Should Compress Video for Facebook
- Facebook Messager limits the attached files to 25MB, so the large files aren't going through.
- Facebook will automatically re-encode your videos and make your videos looked terrible.
- Your large videos will take hours to upload, or even not uploading to Facebook……
How to Compress Video for Facebook on Windows and Mac
One easy solution to compress video for Facebook is to use video compression software. They have a large codec library that supports almost any popular video format and enable you to use preset formats or customize video settings by yourself. By the way, you can choose a well-designed commercial video compression software that lets you fly through your workflow, or go for a free but limited video size reducer if your needs are minimal.
We've compared a dozen of video compression software and draw a conclusion that VideoProc is the best bet. A well-known fact is that quality loss is as inevitable as death and taxes when shrinking a video file size, while VideoProc can help reduce video size for Facebook as much as possible with an almost unnoticeable loss in video quality.
More so, VideoProc has 8 easy methods to make video smaller for Facebook. It enables you to replace a more aggressive video codec, lower the resolution, bitrate, frame rate of a video, split a video into many short segments, remove the audio section of a video, etc. VideoProc also possesses a giant codec library that supports video files like MOV, MP4, FLV, H.264, H.265, VP9, and many more.
Less noted but equally significant, VideoProc compresses videos with the help of Nvidia's NVENC, Intel's Quicksync, AMD's AMF hardware encoders, which can radically improve processing speeds, even in an aging computer.
VideoProc - Best Video Compressor for Facebook
- It's supported on Windows and macOS.
- No noticeable loss in video quality after the compression.
- A total of 8 methods to shrink the file size of videos.
- Compatible with a wide array of video formats, such as MP4, MOV, H.264, HEVC, VP9, etc.
- A great improvement on the export speed by using hardware encoders.
Step 1. Import Facebook Videos to VideoProc
Download and install VideoProc on your computer at the get-go. Click +Video or +Video Folder to begin importing videos that you want them to be smaller. You also can drag and drop video files from the File Explorer (Windows) or the Finder (macOS) to VideoProc for it supports the desktop integration feature.
Step 2. Start Shrinking Your Video Files
The controls appear as long as your videos are fully loaded. VideoProc has 8 methods to reduce video file size, but they don't need to be used independently of each other and can be combined for greater effect.
- Converting to a more aggressive codec like H.264, H.265, VP9, AV1, etc.
- Downgrading the video resolution, e.g. to downscale 4K to 1080p.
- Lowering the video frame rate.
- Reducing the video bitrate.
- Decreasing the audio bitrate.
- Increasing the video GOP.
- Removing the audio part of a video.
- Cutting/splitting a video into smaller segments.
Step 3: Convert Video Size for Facebook
If you're happy with the result, press Done to confirm the changes you made to your video. Then put checkmarks in the boxes of Nvidia/Intel/AMD and Use High Quality Engine. At last, click the RUN button to compress video for Facebook.
If your needs are minimal, you can go for the free but feature-limited video converter – HandBrake. You might be knowing HandBrake as it's capable of ripping non-protected DVDs and Blu-ray disks. Actually, it's also a powerful and cross-platform video transcoder that supports multiple third-party video libraries and codecs like FFmpeg, x264, x265, etc. Let's take a look at how to make it happen.
Step 1. Add Videos to HandBrake
If you haven't yet downloaded HanbBrake, you can freely download it at handbrake.fr. It's a cross-platform software that works on Windows, macOS, and Linux. Once the installation is complete, launch it on your computer and import videos to HandBrake.
Step 2: Choose a High Compressed Format
You will select MP4 as the container format for your Facebook Video, then go to the Video section and select H.265 (x265) as the video encoder. By the way, you can let your video file size become smaller by tweaking the video resolution, bitrate, frame rate, and other settings.
Step 3: Save Your Video for Facebook
Move to the Save As entry to define a video location and hit the Start Encode button to shrink the video size.
How to Compress Video for Facebook Online Free
Online video compressor for Facebook is another quick and simple solution. It enables you to reduce video file size at no cost and with no need to download extra software to your computer. The real benefit that browser-based video compressor has is the well-compatibility which is supported on every operating system.
But online video compressors have their downsides, either. They have limited file size for your uploads so that they won't be able to deal with a huge video that is up to gigabytes. Besides, some online video compressor could potentially identify your video files and your system for they want to profit from your data. And that will be prohibitive to some.
FreeConvert Video Compressor is an online service allowing to compress videos up to 1GB on max for free. It offers two methods to reduce video file size. The first one is a smart mode for beginners that allows you to rate a target video size as a percentage of the original size; the second one is an expert mode that allows you to resize videos by optimizing codec, bitrate, resolution, etc.
- Navigate to FreeConvert.com through a browser.
- Hit Choose Files from your hard drive, URL, or online storage service.
- Click the wheel-shaped icon to rate a target file size for your Facebook videos and press Apply Settings to confirm the changes > Select Compress Now.
- When the compression process is ended, click download MOV to save the video.
VideoSmaller can do the same but it only compresses video that is below 500MB. If your Facebook video is less than 500MB, this free online Facebook video compressor is your best bet. But the point is that you cannot control the output video file size accurately, and you may have to take multiple attempts to get the best result. So it's not friendly to those who have a tight deadline.
- Fire up a web browser and head to videosmaller.com.
- Press Browse to import a video from your device.
- Select the Use low compression level toggle and downscale the video resolution.
- Click Upload Video.
- Once the compression is done, you will see the final video size. If you're happy with the result, click Download to save the video to your computer.
YouCompress is a video compression solution tailored for the dummies. It will automatically shrink video file size for you as long as your video is uploaded. However, its compression ratio cannot be edited. If you need to compress a video for Facebook Messager with YouCompress, it's recommended to upload a video that is no more than 35MB.
- Open up a web browser and navigate to youcompress.com.
- Hit Upload File & Compress.
- The compression process can take a while. It depends on the size of the original videos and the internet speed.
- When everything is done, you will see the final video size and click the Download button to save the video.
What Is the Video Size Limit for Facebook?
For Facebook Messager, your video file size should not be above 25 MB.
For Facebook Feed, the maximum length is 240 minutes long and the maximum size is 4GB.
For Facebook 360 video, the maximum length is 30 minutes and the maximum size is 10GB.
For Facebook video advertisement, please refer to the Facebook Ads Guide.
How Can I Post a Large Video on Facebook?
To post a huge video file on Facebook, you should reduce video file size a Facebook video compressor mentioned above, or split a long video into small segments before uploading.
Can You Upload 4K Video to Facebook?
It depends. Facebook supports 4K resolution for 360 videos and 180 videos. If you upload a 4K video to the Facebook Feed, your video will be likely to be compressed to 720p only.