How do you interact on Instagram? Instagram Stories or Instagram Feed? They enable you to share short-form videos to keep your followers engaged. But it's not that simple to get through to viewers with a short video.
Luckily, Instagram has opened to long-form videos that allow users to produce videos up to 60 minutes long, which indicates you can use longer videos as an opportunity to highlight your content on Instagram. Already got curious about that? This article is going to run you through Instagram video length and how to post longer videos on Instagram.
How Long of a Video Can You Post on Instagram
Short-form videos on Instagram can be 3 to 60 seconds long, while long-form videos can be 60 minutes on max. Anyway, be it regular Instagram users or Instagram video marketers, it's crucial to know the length of different Instagram videos. Let's explore!
- Instagram Stories: The maximum video length is 15 seconds long.
- Instagram Reels: You can record and edit short videos for up to 30 seconds.
- Instagram Feed: Feeds are limited to 3 to 60 seconds. That means your videos should be as short as 3 seconds but no more than 60 seconds.
- IGTV: It depends on what device you would use. 15 minutes when uploading with mobile devices, 60 minutes long when uploading on the web. Beyond that, you can also post an IGTV preview on your Story.
- Live Video: You can host a live video for 1 hour on max on Instagram.
How to Post Long Video on Instagram Story by Splitting
Though Instagram Stories are limited to 15 seconds only, there's a way to play longer videos on your Story. You can split a long video into 15-second segments using video editing software or video editing apps. Whether your video is 1 minute, 2 minutes, or 3 minutes, you can use a video splitter to cut them into small clips. After that, you will be able to upload them one after another to your Story so that they will be played consecutively as if they were a stand-alone and long video.
#1. On Your Computer
When you shoot a long video and share it on your Instagram Story, you will find that Instagram takes only the first 15 seconds of your video, because Instagram Stories have a 15-second runtime limit. So if you want to add a longer video to Instagram Story, use the all-in-one video editing software – VideoProc Converter – to split your long clip into 15-second segments.
VideoProc Converter - Best Video Splitter for Instagram
- Split a long video clip into equal-length segments with no quality loss.
- Support landscape and portrait videos.
- Support almost all video formats, like MP4, MOV, H.264, AAC, etc.
- Render videos with hardware encoding.
- Other editing features like cutting, cropping, rotating, stabilizing, etc.
- Download and install VideoProc Converter on your computer at the get-go. It's available to Windows and macOS.
- Fire up VideoProc Converter and select Video on the main interface.
- Click +Video at the top to load a video file from your computer.
- Choose Toolbox at the bottom and double-click on Split.
- In the Split Video menu, put a checkmark in the box of Split video every how long seconds, and type 15 in the field.
- Select Done to return to the last page and click on the RUN button to start splitting your video.
- When the splitting is done, transfer the video clips to your mobile device and upload to your Story, or directly upload them to your Story from your computer.
#2. On Android
- Download and install Story Cutter from Google Play.
- Launch the app on your phone.
- Tap Gallery to import your video. You can even import videos to the app from online storage services like Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Select video length for your clip.
- When the splitting is finished, video clips will be auto-saved to your Gallery and you can put them one after another to your Story.
#3. On iOS
- Bring Split Video to your iPhone from App Store.
- Open Split Video once the installation is complete.
- Move the slider on the timeline to adjust clip length.
- Tap Select Video to open the video from your Camera Roll.
- Tap Split and Save Clips.
- Once the splitting is done, you can find the clips saved in the Photos app.
How to Post Long Video on Instagram through IGTV
There's a solution for those who want to post long-form videos on their Instagram account. It's called IGTV that allows you to upload long videos with a maximum length of 15 minutes from mobile phone or post videos with a maximum length of 60 minutes on the web. Let's check the tricks to upload longer videos on IGTV below.
#1. From Mobile Devices
- Open Instagram and tap the profile icon in the bottom right corner.
- Tap the plus icon in the upper right corner and select IGTV Video from the pop-up menu.
- Choose a video that is at least 1 minute long from your Camera Roll or Gallery. If your clip is less than 1 minute, it will grey out and cannot be selected.
- If your chosen video is good to go, tap Next.
- Choose a cover photo from the clip or from Camera Roll/Gallery, and tap Next.
- Enter a title and description for your clip.
- Tap Post to IGTV.
#2. From Computer
- Fire up a web browser and navigate to Instagram, then log in to your Instagram account.
- Click on the profile icon and select Profile in the upper right corner.
- Select IGTV and click Upload.
- Import a video file that is between 1 and 60 minutes, then complete the detailed information in the right.
- Click Post to upload your video.
How to Share a Live Video on Instagram
Instagram Live Video allows you to do broadcasting for 60 minutes on max. When you finish broadcasting, you can even put your long live video on IGTV, so your followers will be able to watch it on your IGTV.
- Launch Instagram and tap the plus icon in the bottom-center.
- Scroll to Live and tap the Record button to start a Live video.
- When the broadcasting is done, tap End to stop recording. And you can tap the download icon to save it to your phone or directly upload it to your IGTV.
There are 3 ways to upload longer videos on Instagram. You can split a long video into many 15-second segments with video editing software or video splitter apps and upload to your Instagram story, making they look like a continuous video. Of course, you can directly upload a 1-hour-long video to your IGTV and start a live video for 1 hour on max. By the way, if your video clip is longer than 60 minutes, your video won't be uploaded to Instagram. And you have to split or cut them into smaller clips before uploading.