We are living in a digital age. Not only video but audio content is also booming. From music to podcasts and audiobooks, we can listen to anything we want at any time. However, things could be tricky since these audio formats are not always compatible with our devices, especially for Apple users. That's where an audio converter comes in handy.
So here in this article, we'll discuss the top 7 best audio converter for Mac with their respective features, pros, and cons. Whether you are an audiophile or a music and podcast lover, please keep reading to discover our list of Mac audio converters.
1. VideoProc Converter
Designed for both beginners and professionals, VideoProc Converter is a powerful yet easy-to-use video and audio converter for Mac. It's compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 or later and supports 370+ input formats and 420+ output formats.
VideoProc Converter offers various presets for different uses. You can easily convert the audio files to various formats, including MP3, M4A, AAC, AIFF, WAV, etc. Power users can also configure audio quality by changing bitrate, samples, channels, etc. With its efficient underlying framework and lightweight software design, this audio converter runs smoothly on Intel/M1/M2 Mac, laptops, and even low specs computers.
- Compatible with Mac with Intel and optimized for Apple M1/M2 chip
- Easy to use with various presets and one-click operation
- Lightning-fast conversion speed with GPU acceleration
- Competent in various use cases like audio to audio, video to audio, DVD to audio, online content to audio, etc
- Batch conversion supported
- VideoProc Converter does offer a free export time of 5 minutes per file, which is enough for music in most scenarios. The full version license can export any media file without duration limits.
2. Switch Audio File Converter
The popular Switch Audio File Converter from NCH Software also has a Mac version. Despite the outdated user interface, this music converter does chew through audio conversion easily. It supports a wide range of audio formats, including MP3, WAV, FLAC, AAC, etc. You can freely use the free trial version for non-commercial home use.
Switch Audio File Converter works well on Windows OS, and even the free version offers support for a range of commonly used audio formats. However, things are different on Mac. Its Mac version converts different files than the Windows version. And it doesn't seem to be specifically optimized for the Apple silicon.
- Fast conversion speed
- Integrated into the system with the command line tool
- Batch conversion supported
- Not optimized for the Apple silicon
- The free trial version only includes limited format support and tag editing features
If you've been an iTunes user for many years, you'll know it also comes with lesser-known features like audio converting. You can create another version of your music in another format in iTunes. It supports AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, and WAV. As a built-in app, iTunes offers optimum performance.
While you could be disappointed when trying to convert multiple audio files. iTunes does not support bulk conversion. It may not be the best option for users who need to convert music files frequently.
- Free and native Apple app
- Customizable bitrate, sample rate, channels, bitrate mode, etc
- Limited format support compared to dedicated audio converters
- No batch conversion support
4. To Audio Converter for Mac
To Audio Converter is one of the audio apps for Mac OS X from Amvidia. As the name suggests, this sound converter only has a dedicated Mac version. Overall, it offers a fast and straightforward conversion experience. You can convert your music collections to various formats, including MP3, M4A (AAC, ALAC), FLAC, AIFF, and WAV. Besides, it also allows ripping CDs to high-quality MP3.
The same series of software includes Tag Editor, MP3 Normalizer, and more. Apart from audio format conversion, they will be required when you need other features like editing metadata. And additional effects like volume control, fading, and trimming are not free to use.
- Simplified interface
- Wide range of supported formats
- Customizable codec, bitrate, channels, sample rate, quality, and CUE splitter
- Potential high CPU usage
- Advanced editing features require a paid version
- Separate tag editor program
5. MediaHuman Audio Converter
MediaHuman Audio Converter is a popular choice among many users. It allows you to convert audio files to AAC, AC3, M4A, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, M4R, MP3, OGG, OPUS, WAV, and WMA. The straightforward mechanics make it easy enough even for your non-techie friends. Although some advanced features require a premium version, MediaHuman is still a solid option for Mac audio converters.
- Compatible with macOS 10.12 and higher
- Wide format support, including AAC, AC3, M4A, AIFF, ALAC, etc
- Easy-to-use interface
- Splits lossless tracks by CUE sheet
- Limited editing and file naming features with the free version
- Potential cracked when converting a large number of audio files
6. X Lossless Decoder
Also known as XLD, X Lossless Decoder is always on the list of best audio converter for Mac. It's known for high-quality output and the ability to handle large audio files from CDs. You can decode and convert various lossless audio formats with this sound converter. All the converting and editing features it offers make it a popular choice among audiophiles and music enthusiasts, but not for newbies.
Users often encounter the prompt saying XLD cannot be opened. You need to open the program through Finder rather than Applications. Frontend and backend are separate in XLD. The plug-in-oriented design makes it handy for power users, meanwhile a hard nut for a non-tech-savvy one.
- Free and open source
- Universal binary to run natively on Intel, PPC, and ARM Macs
- Extensive format support and customizable audio quality
- Not very friendly to non-techie
- Dedicated converting features with no editing options
- No batch conversion option with the GUI
7. Online Audio Converter
Online Audio Converter is a must-have for users who prefer to do everything online. Compared to other online music converters, it offers much more customizable settings. You are allowed to change the codec, bitrate, and channels. Despite potential crashes, this online audio converter for Mac also provides options to edit track info.
- No software installation required
- You can use your audio files saved in cloud services
- Very often potential crashes when editing metadata
- Limited upload file size and conversion operations per day
- Time-consuming uploading and downloading
We made this list to help you decide which is the best audio converter for Mac in your case. Each music converter in this list has its own pros and cons.
Online Audio Converter is good for those who prefer online services. X Lossless Decoder is a no-brainer for tech-savvies and audiophiles. VideoProc Converter is highly recommended for most common users. It strikes a perfect balance between ease of use and features. It's designed to be easy to use. Yet it also offers customizable settings for power users to get their desired audio quality. You can easily achieve high-quality audio conversions with its lightweight installer and hardware acceleration.
Free download this audio converter and have a try.