5 Best MP4 to MP3 Converters to Change .mp4 to .mp3
There are just many situations where we need to change an MP4 video file to an MP3 audio file. When we find the background music of an MP4 video beautiful and plan to save it only in the audio format of MP3, we need such a converter; if we want to dub a video with some interesting music, but this MP3 audio is from another MP4 video, then firstly we need to change this video to audio; or we do MP4 to MP3 simply to create some funny listening material, save video in smaller size, etc.
We cannot list them all here, and the major task of this guide is telling you how to make this job done easily. So making a long story short, in the following, we will show you the 5 best MP4 to MP3 tools which we have tested and can help you a lot. Let's dive right in.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Windows and Mac
In this part, the tool that we are going to introduce to you is named VideoProc, an application running on both Windows and Mac. So why VideoProc can be in the first place, anyway?
Basically, like a video editing application, VideoProc also does a great job in the video to audio conversion. Not just MP4 to MP3, with it, users can change any format video to any format audio they want. Then, as we have said, VideoProc mainly helps us to polish and edit our video files. So with it, you can do more about your MP4 video, like rotating, merging, cutting, adding special effects, etc.
While, what makes VideoProc standout among other tools is about its leading technology, ie, Level-3 Hardware Acceleration. It can help the hardware, GPU, CPU, etc. using its potential to the utmost for encoding. It follows that the converting speed would be much faster. So why not download it now, and follow the detailed steps below to let it help you with MP4 to an MP3 job?
1. Install and run VideoProc on your computer. Then choose the Video option at its home page to the next screen.
2. Click +Video to import the MP4 file. Move down to the bottom to find the Music option, and check the MP3 format.
3. After all the settings above are done, toggle on the Hardware Acceleration Engine option to enable VideoProc Level-3 Hardware Acceleration technology. Then set the output folder, so you can find the converting file quickly. Lastly, click the RUN button to start, and wait for the conversion process finishing.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 Using Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player is a powerful built-in application on Windows. There are lots of hidden features which we may have not known before, including this MP4 to MP3 one. But in the following , we will unravel this mystery with detailed steps.
1. Open the MP4 file with Windows Media Player.
2. At the library page, find the Organize button, click it, and choose the Options feature. Then we will go to another unique page with many settings.
3. Find the Rip Music. In this feature, you are enabled to rip the video file to audio. Then choose the location where you plan to rip the video.
Here is an important message that you may need to know. Base on our testing, when we choose the location to the desktop, or some other locations on the computer, the music ripping did not work. So we guess Windows Media Player allows users to rip music to a CD. After that, you can save the audio file to the locations you want.
Then in the Rip settings, you can set the format to MP3 right below the Format features. In Audio quality, you can adjust the MP3 file quality. And after all these settings are done, click the OK button to start.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 in iTunes
iTunes mostly help Apple users manage the iOS data very well, but it also supports changing the MP4 file to MP3. And here are the detailed steps.
1. Launch iTunes. Click iTunes and choose Preferences on a Mac, or click Edit and then Preferences on Windows.
Notice: Since macOS Catalina, iTunes is not available on Mac any more.
2. Choose Import Settings in the General section, which is right next to the When you insert a CD box.
3. Choose MP3 Encoder in the Import Using option. And then click OK.
4. Click OK again to exit the iTunes preferences page.
5. Right-click or control-click the song title of the MP4 that you would like to convert into an MP3. Select Create MP3 Version.
After that, iTunes will create an MP3 version of the song directly below the MP4 version. But how to find the place where the converted MP3 file is located?
To access the MP3 file on Mac, click on the Finder and select Music. Double-click on the iTunes folder and then double-click on iTunes Music folder.
To access the MP3 file on Windows, click on Start and select Music. Double-click on the iTunes folder and then double-click on the iTunes Music folder.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 with VLC
VLC is also a great helper for you to change .mp4 file to .mp3 file. But VLC does this job without converting if the MP4 video file is composed of an MP3 file. Its logic is much more like extracting the MP3 audio file from the MP4 file and removing the image part. But if the MP4 is not composed of an MP3 file, there is still conversion happening. Anyway, here are the detailed steps. Check them now.
1. Open VLC and click on the Media button to locate the Convert/Save feature. Or you can just use the shortcut CTRL + R to pop up another page.
2. On the Open Media page, click on the Add menu to import the MP4 file, and then choose the Convert/Save button to the next step.
3. Then the Convert page would appear. In the Profile part, choose Audio - MP3 option; Click Browse button to set the destination; and lastly, click the Start button, and VLC would automatically begin the MP4 to an MP3 job.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 Online
There are probably lots of users who love the online tools. They are simple to use, no complicated operating steps. There is no need to download some installation file. Etc. Honestly, online tools help us a lot in our daily lives.
However, they also have some shortcomings, which we felt bound to tell you. Most online tools have limits on the size of the importing file, like a maximum of 200MB. They need a network connection, which is very different from desktop applications, like VideoProc, Windows Media Player, VLC, and iTunes. The third one is about the data security issue. Online tools move your files to the web servers to process. So there is a high risk that your data would be deleted, lost, or leaked.
So basically, we would not suggest our users get some online tools. While since there are some users still looking for it, here is one we have tested for you. It is ZAMZAR.
There are just three steps needed, add files > choose the target format to MP3. There are also some other format options > Click Convert Now button to start.
Besides the MP4 files saved on your computer, the online video files are also supported. You can simply put in the link, ZAMZAR will also help you change it to MP3.
Even though we have narrowed down dozens of choices to only 5 ones, which we recommend, there still needs users to choose one among these 5 MP4 to MP3 converters. For some users, this is still hard, right?
So to make it simpler, we would strongly recommend you choose the first one, ie. VideoProc. It is much easier to use than Windows Media Player, VLC, and iTunes, but also much safer than the online tools. Most importantly, with it, you can polish your MP4 video in the way you want. So why not give it a try now?