What is the Wistia video? Actually, you have watched lots of Wistia videos without awareness of what it is. A player embedded in a webpage with a blue scrub bar, and more fluid than YouTube, remember? That is where Wistia hosts videos. YouTube owns a platform per se to keep users stay on its own site, but Wistia, a piece of video marketing software, is designed to drive traffic to its users' websites, improve conversions, and increase engagement. It has served over 500,000 companies globally using video on their websites for marketing, support, and sales, including Starbucks, Mailchimp, Accenture, MOZ, etc.
Obviously, most Wistia videos are not for entertainment, but for business or educational use. If you want to download Wistia videos offline and study later, you'll find it is not the same thing as downloading videos from other websites like YouTube, Facebook, or Vimeo. That's because the URL of a Wistia video is hidden deeply, and most downloaders cannot parse the link.
It could be tricky to download embedded videos as such. But now you are lucky to land on this page. We will walk you through 4 ways to download Wistia video 2020, 2019, and 2018 for free with step-by-step instructions. Check them now.
Method 1. Download Wistia Video Using VideoProc Converter
VideoProc Converter is a multifunctional video editor baked with a robust downloading engine. It is competent to download videos from 1000+ sites including Wistia, Facebook, Vimeo, Dailymotion, just to name a few, and save them in different formats and resolutions. Users who installed this software can download Wistia videos in just 3 steps, more importantly, without much code knowledge. Moreover, it can help you reorganize these downloaded videos by cutting, merging, resizing, compressing in one stop. Download and install it to unlock more video processing features.
VideoProc Converter - Download Any Wistia Video in 1 Minute
- Full GPU acceleration to boost video processing 47x real-time faster.
- Downlaod all sorts of videos: streaming videos, YouTube playlists, channels, etc.
- Friendly to pros, semi-pros, and amateurs: easy, safe, and fast.
- Fetch online videos in the original quality, HD 1080P, and 4K.
- All-in-one video solutions: download, edit, record and convert videos.
Step 1. Get the URL of a Wistia video.
Open a Wistia video that is embedded to a site or email. Right-click on the video, then you will see three options, and choose "Copy link and thumbnail".
Then paste it to a new text document in Notepad. Copy the URL in <a href= "xxx">, just as the screenshot shows below.
Step 2. Paste the link to VideoProc Converter.
Open VideoProc Converter. Click "Downloader" > "Add Video" > paste the link > "Analyze". Once the link analysis is finished, choose a format and resolution for your Wistia video. Hit "Download Selected Videos".
Step 3. Download the video in VideoProc Converter.
Ultimately, select a folder to save the Wistia video, and hit the "Download now" button. In no more than a minute, a short Wistia video will be saved on your computer.
If you have no time to deal with this URL copy & paste back and forth, you can easily record the screen while you are playing the Wistia video (also workable for saving live videos although Wistia doesn't support streaming yet). The recorder in VideoProc Converter enables you to select the recording area freely, and save it in high quality.
Method 2. Download Wistia video in Chrome/Firefox
To download Wistia videos in Chrome or Firefox, you need to install a browser extension first. You can search on the browser store to find a Wistia downloader extension. After a brief test, we found that most downloaders are not free, and the "No Video Found" error happens randomly. The tutorial is based on a Chrome extension called Flash Video Downloader.
1. Find this tool in Chrome Store and install it on your browser.
2. Play the video that is embedded on a webpage.
3. Click on the icon of this extension, then it will auto-detect the video.
4. If the video is larger than 1MB, go to settings and trigger the option of "Video More Than 1MB". Apply Changes.
5. Choose a resolution, then hit the download icon to download Wistia videos online.
1. Failed to detect embedded Wistia video on occasion.
2. Slow and unstable to download long Wistia videos.
3. There are many add-ons named the same in Chrome Store. You may find the right one after several tries.
Method 3. Download Wistia Video with Its Embedded Code
If you prefer to download Wistia videos without any tool, you can use its embedded code. But note that this requires the HTML knowledge, at least, to read code lines, identify tags and attributes. You can try it with the guide below.
1. Go the page where the Wistia video is embedded.
2. Right-click on the video and choose Copy link and thumbnail.
3. Paste it to a document of Notepad.
4. Find out the embedded code which is placed after "wvideo="
5. Type "http://fast.wistia.net/embed/iframe/" to the address tab.
6. Add the embedded code after the last dash, and press Enter.
7. Press Ctrl + U if you are using Windows; press Option + Command + U if you are using Mac.
8. Find the link with a suffix of .bin and copy it to a new tab.
9. Change .bin into .mp4, and hit Enter.
10. Finally, you will be navigated to a video preview window. Hit the three-dot icon to download the video to your computer.
1. Too complicated and time-consuming.
2. Unfriendly to beginners.
3. You need to read the code lines carefully to figure out the URL that contains the video of the desired resolution.
Method 4. Download Wistia Video Using the Developer Tools
Most modern web browsers have a suite of powerful developer tools that can help you save video clips from webpages (except Safari). Once you find the video file in the Network tab, you get its auto download link. Now we'll show you how to find these links.
1. Play the video embedded on a webpage or an email.
2. Right-click on the video, and select Inspect to open the developer tools.
3. Choose Network, then you will see many small TS files.
4. Click one, and paste its request URL to open a new tab.
5. Then the .ts video will be downloaded automatically.
6. Back to the page, and download all these clips one by one.
7. Merge these small files into an MP4 video with VideoProc Converter.
1. You have to download multiple TS files and join them into one MP4 video.
2. Complex to deal with developer tools.
3. No resolution options.
When you failed to download videos from the Wistia player, there's always a way out, third-party video downloaders, developer tools, and even without any tool. But the best way is to use decent video downloading software VideoProc Converter. Although Wistia changes the video code every year, VideoProc Converter downloads Wistia videos uploaded in 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018 successfully. Now download VideoProc Converter and save your preferable videos without any hassle.
Disclaimer: Any copy-protected or authorized videos you download from Wistia are not recommended for commercial use.