It won't be an accident. Many times your video won't be accepted if it's too large in size. It eats up your bandwidth and costs forever to upload to YouTube or is directly declined by Email/Instagram. This circumstance can turn around if you compress and resize big-sized 4K 60FPS/1080p 240FPS video under the help of video compressor software.
It's a no brainer to dig out a video compression program since the current market is filled to brim with a plethora of video size reducers (free or paid). The key point is placed on which one being able to make your video size smaller without losing quality. With this in mind, here we recommend you with top five video compressor software, which has the ability to downsize your footage without any significant loss of quality. Give a shot on the one you need after you get the detailed information about them.
Overview: VideoProc earns our top video shrinker review Gold Award because it can satisfy almost all your needs. Not only can you apply it to compress video (2K/4K/8K) with up to 90% size off, you can also benefit from its advanced compression engine to ensure an output with lossless quality. With 370+ video/audio codecs supported, the list of input formats is more than one page in length, be it MP4, MKV, MOV, AVI, HEVC, H264, to name a few.
How it works to reduce file size:
1. Video codec and container conversion. What is the smallest format with high quality? This is asked hundreds of times each month on Google. Currently, maybe HEVC (H265) is the best answer. To upload video to YouTube/Dailymotion/Vimeo, you can utilize this software to convert H264 to HEVC with at least 50% bit rate saving while remaining the same or even better quality. Of course, you're also allowed to compress video to MP4, MKV, MOV, H264, WMV, 3GP, FLV, etc. at approximately 34% compression ratio.
2. Video cutting, cropping and splitting. Take good control of your video length and image size. VideoProc walks you through cutting off unwanted clips from video to shorten video duration, removing black bars from video picture and splitting video into several footages. This can downsize your video file with 10%-90% size off without zero quality loss.
3. Video parameter settings adjustment. You may need to invest some time getting to know how to tweak parameter settings in other complicated apps. But as for this customer-level video compressor, you don't need at all. All you have to do is to click the preset options to downscale 4K to 1080p, change 60FPS to 30FPS and lower video bit rate. This video compression approach comes at certain price of quality damage. You'd better decrease bit rate within 20-40% to ensure an output without noticeable quality damage.
Note: The Cut feature is used to trim your video and delete insignificant clips from video. Slightly different from Cut, Split feature (under Toolbox) enables you to cut your video into several parts at your disposal and you can opt for one or two for later usage without clips loss.
* Frame Rate: click the drop-down icon to select the frame rate you need. Generally, you're suggested to lower frame rate from 60FPS to 30FPS, 240FPS to 120FPS for slow motion video.
* Resolution: 4K 2160p is almost 4 times more pixels than 1080p, which at least doubles in file size, as well. To reduce 4K GoPro/DSLR/iPhone recording, compress 4K to 1080p via Resolution. You can also adjust resolution to 2K or 720p to balance between file size and output quality.
* Bit Rate: change the default setting Auto Calculate to Manual and then freely fill in the number at Target Bit Rate. One thing to note is that ABR (average bitrate) is usually higher quality than CBR (constant bitrate). You can consider to choose ABR if there is no very strict limit on file size.
Note: You know, the likelihood of getting both best quality and fastest speed is slim. You can't have your cake and eat it. If higher quality is what you want, move the slide bar to right side to improve quality. Of course, the video shrinking speed would be negatively affected. But don't worry too much. This application is powered by the top-notch Level-3 GPU hardware acceleration to hand over video reduce task from CPU to the graphics processing dedicated GPU to improve speed up to 5X faster than any other competitors.
Overview: Handbrake has a great run not only in video converting field, but also in video compression world. It does so because it strikes delicate balance of making itself accessible to new and fledgling users without sacrificing the features that advanced users need like video parameter settings adjustment. The biggest omission in this free video compression software is the knack to cut and split videos for video reducing.
How it works to make video smaller:
1. Change video format. The primary function of Handbrake is to transcode video format. Now with expanded presets in its new version, you can resize video to H264, HEVC, VP8, VP9 formatted by MP4 or MKV. Though the supported output codecs and formats are not so many as VideoProc, it can meet your basic need - small-sized format with high quality.
2. Lower Bit rate, frame rate and resolution. The input 4K/2K video can also be compressed via settings adjustment. This free video compressor software gives you flexibility to freely set up your video width/height, tweak frame rate and decrease bit rate (ABR or CBR).
The quite thoughtful thing is that the preset profile is even labeled with the quality and speed, for instance, Super HQ 1080p30 Surround, Very Fast 720p30, etc. Just choose the one you desire without manual adjustment.
* Change your video size (width & height) under Dimensions to lower resolution from 4K 2160p/3000p to 1080p, 2K to 1080p, 1080p to 720p, etc.
* Tick Custom under Cropping to further downsize your GoPro/DSLR/iPhone video. Freely crop the video from the top/bottom/left/right at any size you want.
* Frame rate and bit rate adjustment can be accessible under Video sub-category. Unfold frame rate option and you're allowed to tweak 240FPS to 120FPS, 60FPS to 30FPS, etc. Move the slide bar to the Lower Quality side to make video smaller at Constant Quality or fill in the specific bit rate number at Avg Bitrate to decrease video size.
# VLC Media Player
Overview: Over 2 billion downloads, we can clearly see how popular VLC is in the free video player world. Yet, VLC wins a wide rise of popularity not only due to its free media player identity, but also its versatility. Among them, video compression is the must-mention one. This user-friendly video compressor software helps you reduce MP4, MKV, MOV, AVI, VOB video via video codec conversion and parameters reduction. Simply put, it's definitely worth consideration when choosing to free compress video without apparent quality damage.
How it works to resize video:
1. Video transcoding. VLC enables you to compress H264 to HEVC with 50% bit rate saving, as well as convert video to smaller-sized MP4, MOV, OGG, WebM, WMV, FLV, RAW, etc. with 15 output formats, more than Handbrake but less than VideoProc.
2. Video parameters reduction. Similar to the previous top video reducers, VLC makes video file even smaller via parameters decrease including Bit rate, frame rate and resolution.
Kayla Collins, a senior member of Digiarty software for 5 years, knows a thing or two about digital devices & video processing software like GoPro, DSLR camera, Drone, iPhone iPad, iMac, iMovie, etc. and is glad to share her knowledge to help people out of trouble. She's also deeply passionate about yoga, jogging, roller-skating, handcraft, reading, music, movie and more.
Aiming to be the leading digital media company, Digiarty Software, Inc. is dedicated to providing professional and innovative multimedia software for all Windows and Mac users.
How to extract subtitles from MKV, MP4, AVI, VOB, Any Video on PC/Mac
Follow the guide to add caption tracks or subtitle text to video footage.
Unsatisfied with video brightness? Increase it using the easiest toolkit.