We extract subtitles from videos for different purposes. For example, we extract the subtitles of a low-resolution video file, and then add them to a high-resolution version for getting a better visual experience. We find nice courses from YouTube and wish to separate subtitles as the learning context for the further study. With that in mind, the following can be deduced: To find the easiest way to extract subtitles from MKV, MP4, AVI, VOB or other videos as SRT, ASS files, we should get a versatile subtitle extractor that can cope with videos in different type of formats.
After testing all kinds of subtitles extractor for days, we realize the best option for both PC and Mac - VideoProc, which enables users to rip subtitles from MKV videos or virtually any other videos in a few clicks. It also allows you to import subtitles to a video from a computer or a connected external hard drive/USB, as well as search subtitle files from online before importing to videos.
Click-and-go (MKV) Subtitle Extractor & Video Processing Software - VideoProc (for PC & Mac)
- Extract subtitles from MKV, MP4, AVI, VOB, etc. Add (srt, ass, ssa) subtitles to movies.
- Simple edit: cut, crop, merge, rotate, flip videos; add effect, text/image watermark to videos, etc.
- Convert any videos to any preferred format; resize / upscale videos. Video processing speed is ultrafast.
- Free download video/music from YouTube and 1000+ sites. Convert DVD. Record screen/webcam.
What Features Make VideoPro the Best (MKV) Subtitle Extractor for PC and Mac?
VideoProc is not only a professional subtitle extractor but also a lightweight yet powerful video editor, converter, screen capture. Users can use VideoProc to:
1. Extract subtitles from MKV, MP4, AVI, VOB, etc. to separated SRT or ASS file. It supports also batch extract mode to easily extract the same element from multiple files
What is the SRT, and ASS?
SRT refers to Sub Rip text, which is the most basic format for subtitles, which is often used in movies. It is a simple text file without any rich media information like videos, animations. Open SRT file with a text document or Microsoft word, we can easily edit the start and end time of when the subtitle appears and change subtitle information.
What is an ASS file? - ASS stands for Sub Station Alpha, which is an advanced subtitle format developed to cover the shortage of SRT which has a too simple function. It will implement abundant subtitle functions, for instance, setting size and position of different subtitle data, dynamic text, watermark, etc. Ass is created by the Substation Alpha software program, therefore it is more standardize and way more complicated than SRT.
2. Add subtitles: Add hardcode subtitles, embed SRT ASS file to MP4/MKV/AVI/MOV without decreasing the quality of the target video file. A one-stop tool to solve all problems about adding or removing subtitles for the clips.
3. Hardware acceleration: Perfectly support Nvidia/Intel/AMD hardware acceleration tech to deliver lightning speed in extracting subtitles. The whole file must be read by software as the data packets of the subtitle are interwoven with various file information packets. GPU acceleration fasts the whole process.
4. Easy track identification: If you have some clips in multiple subtitles, it will display their language and file size information for you to easily differentiate between them.
5. Download subtitle/video/music: Download subtitles, 8K/4K/1080p/720p videos, movies, MP3 songs, playlist, the channel from YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, 1000+ sites supported.
6. Edit video: Extract subtitles from MKV as SRT/ASS file. Import subtitles to video. Cut, merge, crop, rotate, flip, stabilize, denoise, mirror video, add effects, text/image watermark, time stamp to video, and enhance video quality.
7. Convert video/music: Convert or compress 4K or high bitrate/framerate videos recorded by GoPro, DJI, 4K cameras, etc. Transcode HEVC, MKV, AVCHD, M2TS, MP4, AVI, MOV and almost any format to desired format.
How to Extract Subtitles from MKV, MP4, AVI, VOB or Other Videos in 3 Steps
Free download and install the best subtitle extractor – VideoProc – on Windows 10/8/7 or Mac computer, etc. and follow the easy 3 steps below to extract subtitles from MKV, MP4, etc.
Step 1. Add the video with subtitle
Run VideoProc and click "Video" button on the main interface. Click "+Video" button to import source video with subtitle.
Step 2. Select output subtitle format
Tap "ToolBox" icon. Find "Export Subtitle" option and double click it. Then select an output subtitle file format. You can freely trim a part of video to export its subtitle. Click "Done".
Step 3. Extract subtitle from video
Hit "RUN" button to start extracting subtitle from MKV, MP4 or any other video as SRT or ASS subtitle file at ultrafast speed.
Three Bonus Tips Related to Video Subtitles
1. How to Delete SRT/ASS Subtitle from MKV/MP4/AVI/VOB Videos?
Subtitles help us understand foreign movies and allow people who are hard of hearing to better comprehend the plots. But there are times we don't want to remain any subtitles on the source video for the aim to add the new, further study the language, etc. Follow below 2 steps to remove subtitles from MKV, MP4, AVI, VOB, etc.
Step1: After we import the video file to VideoProc, Click Subtitle > Disable.
Step2: Hit Run to export the video.
2. How to Add SRT/ASS Subtitle to a Video?
VideoProc also allows users to import external SRT subtitles to video.Let's have few clicks to get the things done:
Step1: Click "Subtitle" drop-down menu in the source video column, and click "Load Subtitle".
Step2: Select the SRT/ASS subtitle file from your computer and add it into video.
Or you can have some advanced setting to change the fonts, position, and color of subtitles by following steps.
Step1: Click Subtitle" icon in the Edit column.
Step2: Click "Add Subtitle File" to choose and import SRT/ASS subtitle file from computer.
-You can choose Burn-In to add subtitle as Hard Subtitles or "Softcode" to add the subtitle as Soft Subtitles which allows you to turn on/off in playback.
-There are settings about subtitle size, position, color, and others for you to easy manage.
3. How to search SRT subtitle from online sites and import to video?
VideoProc also enables users to search subtitle online and import it to video.
Step1: Click the "Subtitle" icon to open the subtitle editing window.
Step2: Click "Search Subtitle File". Then choose "Movie" or "TV Episode", and type movie name, choose movie language.
Step3: Click "Search" button. Choose a preferred subtitle file and click "Download".