Square Video Tricks - Crop Video to 1:1 for Social Media
By Jordi D. Rodríguez Updated: May 20, 2019
How to Crop Video to 1:1 for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
"How do I create a video with a 1:1 aspect ratio?"
If you are asking for a perfect way to make a square video with no image cropping in high quality, surely the answer is to film in 1:1 aspect ratio. As far as we know, GoPro, DJI and iPhone don't have that setting yet, although you can take square pictures with iPhone. So we'll just have to re-create square video from original sources in 16:9, 4:3, etc.
How to reformat a video, like say a GoPro HERO7 footage in 16:9, to fit in 1:1 for social media? There are three ways: crop, zoom in and zoom out. Crop video to 1:1 and you will lose part of the image details. But it remains the original high quality. Making square video by zooming in will lead to relatively bad quality in most cases. If you zoom out, there will be black borders at left and right or top and bottom.
FYI, Cropping video to 1:1 is the most frequently used method. [85% of users choose cropping]
What is a good tool to crop videos to 1:1? If you prefer online editing, try Kapwing. If downloading software is not totally out of the question for you, use VideoProc, particularly smooth in large long video resizing and editing on desktop.
Video Resizer Specifically for Large Long GoPro/DJI Videos
- - Video editing app mainly for beginners. Runs on desktop computer.
- - Crop/resize video to square (1:1), 16:9 (landscape), 4:3, 9:16 (vertical), etc.
- - More editings: cut, merge, rotate, stabilize, denoise, filter, speed up/slow down...
- - Hardware acceleration supported, for smooth 4K editing and transcoding
We mostly crop video to 1:1 for social media. So let's learn more about video uploading settings on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
• Instagram - Allows video uploading in square, lanscape and vertical. It also provides simple video editing online. So you probably don't need to take an extra step to crop video to 1:1. Read more: how to upload high quality video to Instagram >
• Facebook - Requires you to crop video to 1:1 previously. Maximum video length: 4 hours.
• Twitter - Requires you to crop video to 1:1 previously. Cut video to 2min and 20s or less before the resizing. How to cut a video >
How to Make Square Video with VideoProc
Online video editors may be good enough to deal with short SD clips. But to tackle large long videos, especially 4K video, desktop video editor software performs more efficiently and steadily. VideoProc is a Windows/Mac-friendly way to make square video on desktop PC/Windows 10 and macOS. Free download VideoProc .exe for Windows (10) or free get VideoProc .dmg for Mac.
We'll take cropping a 16:9 GoPro video to 1:1 as an example here on Windows 10.
Step 1: Import your GoPro 16:9 video
- Click "Video" and there pops up the "VideoProc - Video" interface.
- Now load your GoPro footage in 16:9 through "+ Video" in the top left-hand corner.
Step 2. Crop video to 1:1
Method 1: Enable "Crop" > choose "1:1" in the dropdown list of Preset > move the selection area > Done.
Method 2: Enable "Crop" > choose "Free" in "Preset" > drag the line on the image to adjust area selected freely (crop, zoom in or zoom out) > Done.
Method 3: Enable "Crop" > manually input number in the "Position" settings > Done.
Step 3. Output square video
- Choose an output format. To upload square video to social media, export video in MP4 H.264 and 1080p (most recommended).
- Browse to set a target folder to save the output file.
- Press "RUN" to crop video from 16:9 to 1:1 and save in MP4 format.
VideoProc is a better way to go for entry-level users to make some basic video editings on desktop copmuter, for its simplicity and functional diversity. To crop video to 1:1 on mobile phone, GoPro Quik app is recommended. Just remember that after you switch to "SQUARE" in "Format", click the pencil icon in the image and enable "FIT", or else you will get a video with black borders.