Record a long video and want to use a very easy-to-use video editor tool to cut the video to get needed clips? This tutorial introduces how to cut video using VLC with a detailed guide. If you don't have VLC or don't want to use VLC, you can also use VideoProc – a professional easy video cutter for Windows 10/8/7 and Mac. A step-by-step guide of using VideoProc to cut favorite video clips is also included. By fast cutting and merging needed video clips with VideoProc, you can then upload the output video to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, your own blog site, etc.
Step 1. Open VLC. Click "View" and then "Advanced Controls" option.
Step 2. Click "Media" and then "Open File" option to open the original video you'd like to cut a part from.
Step 3. Then drag the playing slide bar to the start point you'd like to cut the video.
Step 4. Click "Record" button and "Play" button, and VLC media player will begin recording the video.
Step 5. Click "Record" button again to stop the recording at the end point of desired video part.
Step 6. Check the trimmed video clips in Videos library or My Documents folder.
As you can see, VLC media player cuts your video in a video recording way. If you also think it's cumbersome to use VLC to cut video and need a more easy-to-use video cutter program for Windows (10) and Mac, you can try VideoProc. Below is what VideoProc can do for you and the detailed guide on how to easily use it to cut/trim video to create video clips, and fast merge video clips into one output file for sharing or uploading to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
1. Edit video: Cut, trim, crop, merge, rotate, flip video, add effects to video, add text/image watermark, time stamp to video, adjust brightness, saturation, gamma, etc.
2. Convert video: Convert almost any video to any target format. Fast convert 4K HEVC/H.264 video, MKV, AVCHD, MOD, M2TS, MP4, AVI, MOV, etc. 370+ video/audio codecs and 420+ device presets are included.
3. Compress video: Fast compress 4K to 1080p, 720p, etc. with best quality. Adjust video resolution, bit rate, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc.
4. Download Video: Free download 8K/4K/1080p/720p videos, movies, MP3 songs from YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo and 1000+ sites.
5. Convert DVD: Convert any DVD (incl. scratched DVD, 99-title DVD) to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, iPhone XS/XS Max/XR, Galaxy S9, etc.
6. Record video: Record screen only (record entire screen, record a single window, record any cropped area). Record webcam only. Record screen/webcam video with audio. Record webcam and screen at the same time.
7. Hardware acceleration: Support Nvidia/Intel/AMD hardware acceleration for ultrafast video decoding, video processing and video encoding.
8. Clean and Safe: 100% clean software. Fast, smooth and stable. Compatible with both Windows 10/8/7 and Mac.
Free download and install the best video cutter software - VideoProc - on Windows 10/8/7 or Mac, and follow the 3 easy steps below to cut/trim video clips with VideoProc to keep your favorite parts of video, far easier than cutting video in VLC.
Launch VideoProc and click "Video" button on the main UI.
Click "+Video" icon on the tool bar to select and load the source video you'd like to cut clips from.
At the bottom, in the Target Format column, choose one output video format based on your needs.
Click "Codec Option" icon to optionally change the output video resolution, frame rate, bit rate, aspect ratio, etc.
Click "Cut" icon. Freely drag the two green knobs to set start point and end point, then click the orange "Cut" button and the cut video clip will be listed below.
If you only need one video clip, then click "Done". If you'd like to cut more video clips, then drag the two green knobs again to cut new video clip.
Click the up and down arrow next to each video clip to arrange the sequence of the video clips.
Click "Edit" icon to readjust the start time and end time of that specific video clip if you need.
Then click "Done".
Tip: If you cut more than one video clips, then all of them will be merged into one output video. In this way, you can create a smooth and creative video from original video footage.
Finally, hit "RUN" button to fast cut video clips with the best video cutter for Windows (10) and Mac, and save the output video to computer.
By learning how to cut video using VLC as well as how to cut video with VideoProc, you can see VideoProc is more professional and easy-to-use to cut or edit video than VLC.
Alisa Cassiel, an English CopyWriter of Digiarty, has 4 years of writing and marketing experience. Love writing and always provide thoughtful how-to guides and tips related to video processing, recent hot topics, new digital devices, hit movies, music, etc. She is a life-enthusiast who is independent, persistent, enthusiastic, energetic, and interested in music, exercise, travel, dance, painting.
Aiming to be the leading digital media company, Digiarty Software, Inc. is dedicated to providing professional and innovative multimedia software for all Windows and Mac users.