Top 10 Basic Video Editing Software for Beginners 2019
Overview: When we say basic video editing software, we simply refer to the free video editors. These free video editors provide basic video editing functions like cut, trim, merge, crop, etc. People often choose these programs only for simple video editing and prefer their small sizes for installation and use quickly. Anyone can use the easy-to-use video editing software because their learning curve is pretty short. So, learning those functions won't take more than few minutes.
But the biggest problems with some free video editing applications are that they aren't capable of processing large videos, they seriously lack performance, they don't have many advanced video editing tools except one or two, and they don't support in-demand video formats. So, if you are anything serious, you should look for an advanced video editing software. But if your video editing demand and environment are basic in nature, you can rely on these software and can save a fortune.
10 Best Basic Video Editors in 2019 for Windows 10 and Mac
Below you can find a well maintained list of 10 best basic video editors in 2019 with their pros and cons. Majority of these software applications are available to download for both Mac and Windows 10.
Openshot is an open source and free video editor which packs several basic and advanced video editing features. It pretty looks like iMovie but is more versatile than it. You can use OpenShot to resize, crop, cut, trim, scale your videos. It also supports 3D animated subtitles and watermarks.
- It is open source so it has a good scope of further developments in future.
- Packs good video editing tools.
- May take a while for getting used to it.
- Not much tutorials are there for learning.
VideoPad is a nice and free video editor for those people who look for transition effects along with video editing tools. It also provides a sound effects library which you can use to add sound effects to your videos. VideoPad also supports 3D video editing.
- Easy to use UI and beginner friendly.
- Lets you export videos directly to social platforms.
- Built-in transitions and sound effects library.
- Advanced features are missing.
VideoProc is an all-in-one powerful video editing software from Digiarty. The most astonishing feature of this software is the killer level-3 GPU acceleration which processes 4K/HD videos at fast rates. You can access all kinds of basic video editing tools in VideoProc including the most advanced tools like multi trim, multi split, advanced crop, merge, rotate etc. VideoProc has several advanced tools like MKV maker, GIF maker etc. which can't be found in most free video editors. You can download VideoProc to Mac and Windows from the links given below.
- Nice UI with powerful video editing tools.
- The advantage of dealing with 4K and HEVC videos, big size videos, high frame rate videos.
- Integrated with video audio DVD conversion, video resizing downloading, recording, etc.
- Powerful performance and GPU acceleration powered by Intel, AMD , and Nvidia.
- Short learning curve.
- Highly reliable.
- Reasonably priced.
- Cannot add music to a video.
Freemake is the most basic video editing software. You can find most of the options in a single window. Freemake can be used by beginners for essential video editing projects like adding watermarks, adding subtitles, merging, and clipping videos.
- Easy to use UI and doesn't have confusing options.
- Purchase required for several video editing features.
VSDC is only available for Windows 10 users. With VSDC you can learn several cool video editing features like editing the audio, adding shapes, animations, images etc. It can export the edited video to your desired video format.
- Provides option to download screen recorder.
- Built-in wizard which helps in video editing.
- Not so user friendly.
- Advanced features are paid.
6. Windows Movie Maker
This was used to be the all time and the default video editor for Microsoft Windows users. Windows movie maker was the best free video editor for Windows until Microsoft pulled it off. You can use it for all types of basic video editing, apply watermarks, create intros and outros for your videos. It was very good for vlogger and tutorial makers. There is no official way left to download the Windows Movie Maker. But some trusted and reliable sources can provide you the installation files. But make sure not to download any kind of malicious software which may pretend to be Windows Movie Maker.
- Best free video editor for windows.
- Easy to use and learn.
- Good options to add voice-over, external audios.
- May be risky to download from unofficial source as the file may contain malicious codes.
Movica is a pretty simple video editing software. With Movica you can enjoy video editing keyboard shortcuts. Movica is good for selecting and deleting multiple parts of a video. A video can be joined or split with ease.
- Very easy to use.
- Doesn't work with 64-bit operating systems.
Shotcut is another open source basic video editing software for Mac, Windows, and Linux. It is quite a good option for the beginners. Shotcut supports a lot of output video formats, lots of filtre effects and chroma keys. The interface is also very good and not a confusing one. You can use Shotcut if you don't want to spend a single penny on paid video editors. Tutorial - how to use Shotcut >
- Multiple video format support.
- Video filter effects.
- Supports 3D titles and texts.
- Less intuitive as compared to paid video editors.
- No 3D video support.
- Transition effects are only a few.
Another free and open source basic video editing software is Avidemux. It is also available for multiple platforms. Avidemux doesn't have any difficulty to work with popular video formats like AVI, MP4, MPEG etc. It fully support non-linear video editing, and multiple visual effects. Can be used to resize, deinterlace a video along with chroma shifts and addition of black borders.
- Has good video editing capabilities.
- Automatically estimates the output file size.
- Clean user interface.
- Most trusted free video editor.
- Unprofessional user interface.
- Extra codecs required for non-common video formats.
iMovie is only available for Mac users. Good thing about iMovie is that it can process 4K videos with ease. Apart from editing videos you can edit audio too with iMovie. iMovie is pretty porttable as you can start editing a video on your iDevice and can choose to finish on your Mac computer.
- Easy to use interface.
- Has a nice set of audio and video editing tools.
- Not available for Windows users
- Lacks performance and advanced features and tools.
We hope that this article has saved your time which you might have invested in doing further reasearch about basic video editing software. But now you have got a compiled list of 10 such software therefore you should not need to continue your research further. Out of these 10 free video editing software tools you can choose the one which best suits your needs. We recommend you VideoProc which is an all-in-one video editor with many other features like video conversion and downloading. However, as per your requirements you can also make a choice between shotcut, iMovie, and the other video editors listed above.