Firstly, this Quik alternative - VideoProc recommended in this article is mainly for beginners. So you won't see any non-linear video editors here like Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Davinci Resolve, etc.
For those who prefer an alternative to Quik for advanced video editing, please turn to Top 10 apps similar to GoPro Quik for desktop >
Quik is a video editor app working on both desktop PC and mobile phones. Most importantly, it is an easy way to tackle your GoPro footage officially provided by GoPro itself. But why do people still need a Quik alternative? Let's cut to the chase. Quik is good but imports GoPro videos only. Quik is for simple editing and instant sharing of short clips. So you can't expect it to be a full-featured tool, capable of editing any type of file.
As you can see from the picture above, to import file into Quik for editing, it has to be a GoPro media in a specific folder. It allows you to add music and adjust color (Brightness, Contrast, Vibrance, Shadows, and Warmth). But that's it. Frankly speaking, it's far from enough to recreate your footage. GoPro Studio provides more editing features, however has been discontinued since 2017.
Given the supported input format and functional diversity, VideoProc should be a good alternative to Quik for entry-level users.
Both GoPro Quik and VideoProc allow you to trim video, rotate clip and adjust colors.
[GoPro Quik] There are three functions that are unique in Quik: Highlight, music adding and sharing online. Note that only YouTube and Facebook are allowed for online sharing on desktop computer. If you use Quik app on mobile phone, there are still transitions to apply.
[Quik Alternative] Videoproc excels at dealing with both short and long large files, be them in 720p, 1080p or 4K UHD. And it has a much longer list of input output formats and editing: crop video, add subtitles or watermark, apply filters, change video/audio playback speed, stabilize video and more.
|Flip video (vertical/horizontal)||Yes||No|
|Speed up/slow down video||Yes||No|
|Set audio delay||Yes||No|
To try out this alternative to Quik, firstly download VideoProc on Windows (10) for free or get VideoProc Mac version, then double click the .exe or .dmg file to get it installed, and open the software.
- Click "Video" to get into "VideoProc - Video" editing and transcoding center.
- Click "+ Video" to load local video files.
- Click "Effect" to apply filters and adjust colors like Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Gamma and Saturation. How to add special effects >
- Click "Rotate" to change video orientation. Rotate your footage 90 degrees clockwise or anticlockwise. Flip video vertically or horizontally. Change video playback speed from 0.10x to 16x. Or set audio delay to 10ms for example.
- Choose "Crop" to resize image from four positions: left, right, top and bottom. And crop to remove black borders, or to zoom in and zoom out.
- Enable "Watermark" to add Text manually. Change font style, color and font size based on your need. Or add an image, emoji picture or timecode. Both transparency and position are adjustable.
- Tap into "Subtitle" to add external subtitle files downloaded from other sits or search subtitles here online.
- Click "Cut" to cut the video into several clips or just cut off the clips you don't need.
- Go to the "Target Format" section, switch to "Video" tab, and then select an output format.
- Specify a target folder and press button RUN to start video encoding.
To edit GoPro video for sharing instantly online, Quik is good to use. If you still need to deal with videos shot by GoPro, DJI, Sony, iPhone, etc, VideoProc is a good alternative to Quik for beginners, for its simplicity and functional diversity. For extremely advanced and professional video editing, experts like Adobe Premiere Pro CC and Final Cut Pro are strongly recommended.
Jordi was an amateur tech enthusiast, but now an editor who has published hundreds of stories covering hardware acceleration, video editing, software review and how-to guides. He is more like a "tech support" with adventurous soul, eagerly grabbing cutting-edge video technologies off in a professional yet easy-to-understand style, and enjoying gliding, diving, etc.
Aiming to be the leading digital media company, Digiarty Software, Inc. is dedicated to providing professional and innovative multimedia software for all Windows and Mac users.