Do GoPro cameras come with software for desktop PC to edit video and upload it onto YouTube for example? Yes, they do. There is GoPro editing software available for both PC and mobile, like GoPro Quik app, aid with creating short movies from GoPro footages to share online instantly. By short I mean from 15 to 60 seconds only, a really mini clip. So if you ask me which GoPro software is the best, Quik won't be the answer.
GoPro Studio, with more editing features than Quik, seems to be a better option. But sadly it has been replaced by GoPro Quik officially and there is no update any more. It still can be downloaded from third-party sites, but mind the virus/adware and be patient, for you might go through kinds of "unable to install" errors.
Then VideoProc, a full-featured yet easy-to-use video processing software, which also takes the lead in playing perfect GoPro editing software for desktop PC and Mac. It accepts any videos recorded by GoPro (incl. the newest GoPro 7) and devices like DJI, Sony, iPhone, etc, while you have to do an extra transcoding firstly to make video editable when using GoPro Studio. FYI, GoPro Studio and GoPro Quik loads GoPro video only. Most importantly, VideoProc provides you with abundant flexible video editing settings and runs smoothly on PC. Next we will show you how to use the best 3 GoPro software to edit video step by step.
|OS - Win||Windows 10, 8, 7 (32 & 64 bit)||Windows PC (not specified)||Windows 10 64bit only|
|OS - Mac||Mac OS X 10.6 or above||Mac (not specified)||Mac OS X 10.10 or above|
|Latest Version||3.2||2.5.9 (not sure)||2.7|
|Input Format||Videos shot by GoPro and any others: MP4, MKV, H.264, HEVC, AVI, WMV, VP8, ASF, etc||CineForm files - AVI, MOV||Videos shot by GoPro only: MP4|
|Output Format||420+ output profiles, including file formats for YouTube, iPhone, Android, PC, etc||MP4 (H.264), CineForm AVI, CineForm MOV||MP4 (H.264)|
|Easy to Use||★★★★★||★★★★||★★★ (on desktop PC)
★★★★★ (on mobile)
The table above lists some basic information of the best 3 GoPro editing software for desktop PC. Note that the hardware acceleration, or GPU acceleration, is the key factor determining whether the editing of 4K UHD or large-size video lags or not. As to the editing feature, here is our ranking: VideoProc > GoPro Studio > GoPro Quik. Check the detailed comparison of the 3 GoPro software: VideoProc vs. GoPro Quik, GoPro Studio vs. GoPro Quik
To edit and process GoPro videos on desktop PC or Mac, firstly download and install this best GoPro editing software for free by clicking the following download button. Then follow the setup wizard to get it installed and open the GoPro software. For your convenience, VideoProc allows you to change interface language. Seven languages are available to choose.
Size: 47.1 MB
Languages: English, French, Spanish, German, Japanese, Chinese (simplified) and Chinese (traditional)
• Load GoPro videos from local drive: Choose "Video" module on the main interface, click "+ Video" and import GoPro video clips or folders on your PC.
• Load GoPro videos from GoPro camera: Turn on your GoPro and connect it to computer through USB. Import videos directly from the GoPro folder or transfer videos to PC and then get them loaded.
Click the gear icon in the top right corner of the main interface and select "Settings" in the drop-down menu. Switch to "General" option and enable the "Hardware Acceleration Engine", which will make your following GoPro video editing and transcoding run smoothly on PC without lagging or crashing. Then click one of the six editing icons in the toolbar to proceed the general video editing.
1. "Cut" or "Trim" your GoPro videos into long or short clips for post editing in different style. Or just remove your unwanted clips and then you can create a complete new video by merging the clips.
2. Crop the image size to zoom in to get viewers focusing on your point and make videos look clear.
3. VideoProc offers you four ways to make videos in your desired orientation. You can rotate the video 90 degrees clockwise or anticlockwise. Or choose to flip the video vertically or horizontally.
4. The "Effect" option is embedded with several video filter presets for you if Protune doesn't satisfy your appetite. Choose "Sharpen" to make your GoPro video look clearer, apply "Mirror" to get a special effect, or use "Technicolor", a well-known saturated level of color, to make your video more vivid. You are also allowed to change the value of Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Gamma and Saturation.
5. There is also a Watermark option. Add text to show your privacy, load a PNG image to use as sticker or simply choose to add a Timecode in "11:12:54" or "2018/12/18 11:12:54" mode. To add Text, just enable the Watermark, input your words, set the transparency and adjust the width, height and position from left or top. Then click "Done".
6. Now switch to the "Audio & Video" option to adjust video and audio playback settings. Slide the bar to change video playback speed from 0.10x to 16.00x, which makes it possible for you to output a video in time lapse or slow motion effects. Check the box of "Recalculate Time Stamp" to solve video audio out of sync problem or set "Audio Delay" manually. Besides you can disable all audio tracks for later adding background music.
Aside from all the general editing functions we mentioned above, there is also toolbox, including a list of higher-level video processing features like Video Stabilization, Denoise, GIF, M3U8, etc. Follow us to explore more of this GoPro editing software.
7. Video stabilization: what kind of video do you need to reduce vibration? Typical examples are like GoPro mountain bike videos, GoPro underwater footages or any other shaky extreme sports videos. VideoProc enables you to stabilize your GoPro footages. Just click "Deshake" in the "Toolbox", then press "Option" to get into Video stabilization window, adjust the value of Shakiness, Accuracy, Step Size and Minimum Contrast and then hit "Done". If there is only a short shaky clip needed to be fixed, set the "Start Time" and "End Time" in the first place.
8. Click "Denoise" to remove background noise, like wind noise, footsteps, motor noises from record machines, etc from GoPro videos through Low Pass and High Pass filters. Normally the value for remain good human voice without noise is 500 - 2000.
After all the video editing and processing, choose a format to encode the video based on your need.
• MP4 H.264 (Support HWAccel) is the most recommended option, which can be widely used in any situation.
• MP4 HEVC helps you output video in same quality but at smallest file size.
• To encode video for uploading to online video websites or SNS, choose "General Web Video" or formats specifically for YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, etc.
• To transfer GoPro video for playback on mobile, go directly to "Mobile Video Profile" and then choose among devices options for Apple, Huawei, Samsung, Android, Microsoft or Sony.
"Browse" to specify the output folder to save your GoPro videos and then tap button "RUN" to start encoding the video.
Firstly, download and install this GoPro produced video editing software on your computer. As we said before, GoPro Studio was discontinued and has been replaced by GoPro Quik. So there is no official download link and you need to resort to some third-party sites. Just make sure you download a safe file. Still, you have to make a selection between GoPro Studio and GoPro Quik. You can't install them both. The version available online is v 184.108.40.20658, but be ready for different types of "unable to install" errors. One more thing: you can't change the directory for installing. Pretty annoying.
• Click "IMPORT NEW FILES", select the GoPro videos you want to edit with this GoPro software and then click Open.
• Remember that GoPro Studio only loads MP4 files.
GoPro Studio places the "trim video" option in the very beginning of editing. But it is weird that some videos can be trimmed while some other cannot. The four videos are recorded underwater in Semporna by a same GoPro Hero6 Black, but the footage 1 and 3 can't enable trimming option, although it did work last week. Apparently "trimming available only for GoPro source clips" is not the answer.
• Rotate/flip your video or not
• Rename the video and click "CHANGE DIRECTORY" to change where you are going to save the file.
• Add clip to conversion list and then convert. The transcoding process is required before editing in GoPro Studio software. And all videos will be converted to CineForm AVI or CineForm MOV. When the conversion is done, click "PROCEED TO STEP:2".
1. Choose "BLANK TEMPLATE" and click "CREATE".
2. Drag and drop the video file to the video track area.
3. Add a music media file and drag the song to the music track area. Audio files in .mp3, .wav, .aiff, .m4a and .caf are accepted.
4. Add subtitle: note down your words, set the size, opacity, kerning, color and then add effects like stroke, fade in, fade out. Then drag to the Text track area.
5. Change video playback speed, white balance, sharpness, saturation or just choose presets like Protune, 1970s, 4x3 Center.
Note: GoPro Studio software doesn't have the editing features like deshake, denoise, fisheye correction, make GIF, etc.
Based on your uploading platform, choose your desired output sets, such as YouTube, Vimeo, Mobile Device or Custom. It will show you the file size, which changes according to bit rate. Videos can only be output in H.264 (MP4), CineForm AVI and CineForm MOV. The maximum bitrate is 50 Mbps and frame rate ranges from 12 to 60 fps.
"How is/was everyone experience with the new GoPro Quik desktop app? I really loved the mobile app. Besides the consistent crashing it really was easy to use and created some pretty great content."
Frankly speaking, rather than GoPro software for desktop pc, we do think GoPro Quik is more appropriate for mobile, according to our tests. To use this GoPro editing software, firstly download and install it on your PC. Note that GoPro Quik runs on 64 bit Windows 10 in desktop mode only. 32 bit systems are not supported. If you have GoPro Studio on your PC, please uninstall it previously, or "Unable to install Quik" error would happen. Here is the official download link of v2.7.0: https://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp/quik-%7C-desktop/Quik-Desktop.html#
• Connect GoPro with your desktop PC through USB, turn on your GoPro camera and the media files will be auto uploaded and imported to the Quik app for PC. Note that Quik for desktop only adds GoPro camera files and it is a full load. You can't select and import part of them. This will drive you mad if you got a bunch of 4K UHD or FHD videos to sync. And it will lead to "could not add xxx files" error.
• Also you can import files from PC local drives, only in folders. Just add a media folder directory in Settings and click "SCAN".
• Once "IMPORT" completed, find your GoPro videos in MEDIA or RENCENT, select footages for editing and then click "OPEN IN CREATE MODE".
1. HiLight Tagging: Use highlight tags to mark those special moments for sharing and they will be auto inserted into the timeline. Note that there is no playback option for individual video clips. All footages seem to be shown frame by frame in the timeline. It is a little bit inconvenient.
2. Set video length. Only three options are available: 15 seconds, 30 seconds and 60 seconds. At least it is not long enough for me.
3. Add music. There are 10 free songs for you to choose but you can't import your own music from local drive.
4. Edit each clip. Move your mouse over a clip, click the pencil icon to get into editing center, and feel free to adjust brightness, contrast, shadows, etc. Then Apply and Save. Personally, the editing features are far from enough.
Name the video and choose quality settings. 1080p 60fps is the highest option. Yes, there is no 4K output settings. During our test on Windows 10 PC Intel® Core™ i5-3470 @3.20GHz with 8 GB RAM, the output of a 30s 1080p video totally freezes. At last we have to cancel the saving.
Jordi was an amateur tech enthusiast, but now an editor who has published hundreds of stories covering hardware acceleration, video editing, software review and how-to guides. He is more like a "tech support" with adventurous soul, eagerly grabbing cutting-edge video technologies off in a professional yet easy-to-understand style, and enjoying gliding, diving, etc.
Aiming to be the leading digital media company, Digiarty Software, Inc. is dedicated to providing professional and innovative multimedia software for all Windows and Mac users.